General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel Dirt Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Diesel Dirt Bike

http://mocca.kaf.fi/teotwawki/dieselbike/specs.html

M1030M1 Diesel Combat Motorcycle

This is no wimpy bike with a converted diesel generator for an engine. This is a high performance enduro bike that will run over 100 mph, revs to 7000 rpm and will climb the proverbial "brick wall"

The engine was designed in part by Dr.Stuart McGuigan of the Royal Military College of Science at Cranfield, UK and has been further developed to it's current performance level by HDT and F1 Engineering

The feasability study and the first concept model was based on the Kawasaki KLR 650 gasoline motorcycle engine, however the production diesel engine is built from the ground up by HDT and F1 Engineering

The engine configuration is a liquid cooled, normally aspirated, 584cc (36 cu in) double overhead cam single with four valves per cylinder. Diesel fuel supply is through a special Fuel Injection unit and single injector developed for the engine by Advanced Diesel Injection of San Diego. It currently develops 34 bhp at 5500 rpm and produces power between 1500 and 7000 rpm

The engine has multi-fuel compatibility and can use;

a) Commercial Diesel Fuels, including low sulfer fuels, such as CARB Diesel
b) NATO Military Spec Diesel Fuel
c) Bio-Diesel
d) Aviation Kerosene including JP4, JP5, JP8, and AVTR
e) Kerosene

Kawasaki Motors supplies the KLR 650 rolling chassis which is then modified to accept the HDT diesel engine.

Front suspension is stock KLR 650 with the exception of different rate springs selected for the new application. Rear suspension is a multi link system controlled by a special, single, coil over shock absorber developed by F1 Engineering specifically for this bike (see F1-HDT Suspension). The shock is a single rebound adjustable, nitrogen filled rebuildable unit manufactured from lightweight, non-corrosive, aerospace materials. Although it is infinitely adjustable by interior valving the shock was kept to a simple adjuster in order to maintain the specific characteristics developed for the bikes use.

In the U.K., a team of three riders, Stuart McGuigan and John Crocker from RMCS Cranfield and Fred Hayes of HDT, entered the 2003 'National Rally', an annual motorcycling competition for road riders. Competing for the rally's premier platinum award involves riding 540 miles in 20 hours, checking in at as many 'controls' as possible without exceeding the stipulated mileage.

The diesel bikes performed flawlessly and achieved about 100 mpg over the 540 miles, cruising at the maximum speed that conditions and the law allow on country roads, through congested towns and on freeways. The team scored a perfect platinum award.

Civilian Version Coming Soon

Testing and Development is underway on a civilian version of the diesel motorcycle. It is hoped that this machine will be available to the public in 2005. Check back on this web sit for future developments and information.

Rich
Old 08-05-2004, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds like an awesome bike for the Baja 500/1000. I wonder what kind of weight the motor put on the bike?
Old 08-05-2004, 03:31 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Full site (original) can be found under:

http://www.f1engineering.com/

AlpineRAM
Old 08-05-2004, 06:36 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
DieselDaze,

Thanks for the info! I heard about those bikes a while ago and couldn't get any info on them. Would love top have one!

Wetspirit
Old 08-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Banned

heres a diesel bike

A pic I came across looked like a good thread to throw it in to enjoy.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: heres a diesel bike

Originally posted by dieselminded
A pic I came across looked like a good thread to throw it in to enjoy.
Thats the pic that I've seen before.
I knew I have seen a pic of this bike on DTR before.

Rich
Old 08-06-2004, 11:10 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

So waht..... 85 mpg?
Old 08-06-2004, 12:49 PM
JKE

I cam across that site while searching for Don M.'s web site....cool stuff.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:35 AM

I know the Marines use them , don't know about anybody else. Saw it on Gunny R. Lee Ermey's show "Mail Call" on the History channel.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:00 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Originally posted by IA_James
I know the Marines use them , don't know about anybody else. Saw it on Gunny R. Lee Ermey's show "Mail Call" on the History channel.
Love that guy, but don't get cable anymore.....
Old 08-07-2004, 12:02 PM

He's about the only thing worth watchin on TV. Kind of a folk hero in the Marines, signed pictures of him all over the place. Even the Phillipino gals in the supply depot in San Diego had one when I was there...