General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel Cars still the way to go??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Cars still the way to go??

Check this out
http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20080527/...LsMC0IO11v24cA
Old 05-27-2008, 10:32 PM

I'd like to think so, but a paid-for economical (and very simple) 4-cylinder car still makes a lot more sense in my mind than paying 20k+ for a new clean-diesel car that will eventually, maybe pay off in savings. With all the new emissions regulations, increased operating temperatres and electronic controls, I seriously doubt that modern car-based diesel engines will last much, if any longer than a standard gas engine would.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Enter this contest and find out

Bosch certainly thinks so. They are sponsoring a contest to win a new diesel car for a week. Hope it includes fuel. The catch is you have to live in Michigan, Illinois, Indiana or Ohio.

Enter here:

http://www.autoweek.com/section/diesel
Old 05-28-2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
I'd like to think so, but a paid-for economical (and very simple) 4-cylinder car still makes a lot more sense in my mind than paying 20k+ for a new clean-diesel car that will eventually, maybe pay off in savings. With all the new emissions regulations, increased operating temperatres and electronic controls, I seriously doubt that modern car-based diesel engines will last much, if any longer than a standard gas engine would.
That's what I think. Also, they say the jetta diesel gets 41 mpg. Is it just me or do you guys feel like fuel mileage dives a lot easier with diesels than gassers. Like, if I drove that diesel Jetta hard, it might get 33 mpg, but if I drove a gas Jetta that's supposed to get 35 mpg hard, it would only go down to 32 mpg.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
That's what I think. Also, they say the jetta diesel gets 41 mpg. Is it just me or do you guys feel like fuel mileage dives a lot easier with diesels than gassers. Like, if I drove that diesel Jetta hard, it might get 33 mpg, but if I drove a gas Jetta that's supposed to get 35 mpg hard, it would only go down to 32 mpg.
I think as far as tanking of your mileage goes, the gas equivalent of any vehicle will have its mileage depleted faster then a diesel even if you do hammer on it.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by 92'1stGen
I think as far as tanking of your mileage goes, the gas equivalent of any vehicle will have its mileage depleted faster then a diesel even if you do hammer on it.

After keeping an excel spreadsheet of all my fill-ups for the past 28k miles with my 2000 Accord ex 5-speed, I cans state that my lowest mpg recorded was 26.4 mpg, while the highest came out to 36.2 mpg. Turns out the lowest two tanks were in the coldest month of the year (early Feburary) when I also drove mostly in town. I enjoy accelleration, and take curves and on-ramps at a fairly brisk rate. Otherwise, I keep farily close to the posted speed limit wherever I drive.

I both agree and disagree with the point you made here (92'1st gen). It's quite true that operation of a veichle greatly affects how the mileage pans out. I also think if more people actually kept track of thier fuel they would begin to modify their driving habits - and I'm not simply referring to acceleration and cruising speed. Maintance, trip length, engine thermocycles over each tank, use of heater and A/C, etc.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think what you said would be true if it were reversed.
From my experience, our diesel Jetta 5sp wagon mileage does not change much. We drove to Moab, Utah, about 1500 miles, round trip, with four people and gear. Most of the time I was going 80, and at times I was driving 90+ MPH. Over the whole trip we averaged 42 MPG. The difference between city and freeway driving is not much, maybe 3 MPG. The car is amazingly consistent under any conditions. I find that gassers differ a lot more. Now with diesel about 1.00$ more than gas, I think a Honda Civic or similar could be cheaper.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:19 PM

With diesel fuel 20% higher than gas and the extra cost of purchase of a diesel along with the smog equipment on the new ones you will never recoupe your money with a diesel. That said I have a 2000 jetta diesel that I have had since new and I will not part with it because I have already taken the hit so it will improve from here on. If you can get a diesel without paying a premium for it then you will be all right. I will keep my cummins and my jetta as long as possible but I would not consider a new diesel. The diesel is dead in north america. Its too bad because it didn't need to be this way.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM

Yeah, diesel cars aren't worth it anymore and won't be in the future. Now if we're talking diesel-hybrid, we may be onto something. VW is making one that's supposed to come out in 2-3 years that gets 70 mpg. Natural gas may be another good option but carries the risk of explosion.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:10 PM

lowest mpg in mine is 44ish highest is 56.8MPG... Definitely worth it for me!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:44 PM

VW is making one that's supposed to come out in 2-3 years that gets 70 mpg. Natural gas may be another good option but carries the risk of explosion.
This is why I as quite opposed to the use of natural gas to power school busses and transit busses There's a really evil side to the emissions game, like the emissions of all that smoke when a school bus rolls over and 50 kids go up in flames. Try explaining that to a school board or Parent-Teacher Association.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:16 AM

Yeah, diesel cars aren't worth it anymore and won't be in the future. Now if we're talking diesel-hybrid, we may be onto something. VW is making one that's supposed to come out in 2-3 years that gets 70 mpg. Natural gas may be another good option but carries the risk of explosion.
To me its sad that may be in 2-3 years it can get 70 mpg. The old VW Rabbit diesel would get 50-63 mpg back in the 1980's so why will a newer diesel-hybrid only get 70 mpg a few more years down the road?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by DBLR
To me its sad that may be in 2-3 years it can get 70 mpg. The old VW Rabbit diesel would get 50-63 mpg back in the 1980's so why will a newer diesel-hybrid only get 70 mpg a few more years down the road?
Hmm.. good point. But you had to probably squeeze the Rabbit and push it out of your driveway to get 63 mpg. The hybrid can get 70 mpg consistently.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:16 PM

I know of several back in 1985 that would get 50+ mpg and they drove the dog snot out of them. If they drove them at the posted speed limit they would get up in the 60's mpg range. The point is why could they get such good mpg back in the 1980's with out computers in the car, yet very few cars today can get 50+ mpg and today we have a lot more 3 times more advanced technologies then they had 20+ years ago!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:41 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Keep telling yourself that and remind all your friends too! Keeo the prices of the diesel cars low so I can keep buying them! I consistently get 47-53 in mine and drive it like I stole it! Figure this out for me if you will.......
Gas engine @ $3.99 / 30 mpg = 13.3 cents per mile for fuel cost
Diesel engine @ $4.79 / 47 =10.1 cents per mile for fuel cost

Pretty simple math to me. Now......lets calculate scheduled maintenance!
Oil and filter change gasser w 5 qts. conventional motor ( manufacturer reccomended) oil is $20 if you do it yourself every 3000 miles = .0066 cents per mile.

Oil and filter change on my VW Jetta TDI w 5 qts. synthetic Mobil 1 $45 every 10,000 miles as reccomended by the manufacturer = .0045 cents per mile.

Again....seems pretty simple to me. Start adding in spark plugs and wires and such, and I'm gaining even more!

Quick Reply: Diesel Cars still the way to go??