General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel Cars still the way to go??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh ya and dont forget the 2 engine replacements you will require to keep up with the longevity of the diesel...
Old 05-30-2008, 05:09 PM

I understand all your points, but 1) a gas engine will last longer than you'll want the car, 2) maintenance is the same price for diesel, if not more expensive (who changes their oil at 3000 miles these days?), and 3) spark plugs are very cheap. The only thing the diesel car still has going for it is the added fuel economy, but that's quickly diminishing as the oil companies try to offset that by charging more for diesel. Also, don't forget the extra "care" you need to put into a diesel car. I mean stuff like warming it up in the mornings, adding fuel additives, and dealing with slower throttle response, etc. These are the very reasons diesel never became too popular here in the US. They became popular in Europe but their diesel is CHEAPER than gas.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:00 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
I understand all your points, but 1) a gas engine will last longer than you'll want the car, 2) maintenance is the same price for diesel, if not more expensive (who changes their oil at 3000 miles these days?), and 3) spark plugs are very cheap. The only thing the diesel car still has going for it is the added fuel economy, but that's quickly diminishing as the oil companies try to offset that by charging more for diesel. Also, don't forget the extra "care" you need to put into a diesel car. I mean stuff like warming it up in the mornings, adding fuel additives, and dealing with slower throttle response, etc. These are the very reasons diesel never became too popular here in the US. They became popular in Europe but their diesel is CHEAPER than gas.

1) Yeah..SOME gas engine will last. I had a 5.9L v8 in a 96 pickup with 223000 on it when I sold it. I saw it the other day with 278K on it, still original trans and all. I miss that truck! Point taken. 2) Maintenance is NOT the same cost for a diesel,( I showed that in oil changes alone) and YES I change the oil on my wife's gasser every 2000 miles because it's cheap and easy. I plan on it lasting a good long time and that is the cheapest and easiest thing to do to help it go to 200k like my truck did. Of course I get a discount on the parts so my cost still ends up being .0065 per mile. Still more than the Jetta. 3) Price any of the platinum plugs lately? Double platinums are even more. I just installed a wire set and plugs on a Hemi.......set my customer back $357 and that was @ 46K. ( manufacturer recommends 36K intervals ) Last fuel pump on a gasser I put in set my customer back over $500 and didn't even make it until 100K. My lift pump on my truck made it to 145K and I replaced it because I didn't want to chance being left on the side of the road. I gave it to another member a month or so ago, and to the best of my knowledge, he's still running it! My Jetta doesn't have a lift pump and the injection pump is still going strong with 198K on it. I stand by my original statement.......diesels are cheaper. Just my opinion. Not trying to argue, just want you to see my side of it. When the time comes, I've already located a 2.8L Liberty crd to put in my wife's 99 minivan! Getting set up to make my own biodiesel. To heck with these fuel prices! She's just concerned that it will sound like my truck so we're gonna go drive on tomorrow!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:51 AM

In 03 when I bought my car on the lot there was a Jetta just like mine same options but gas. It was $1600 less.

The window sticker on that car was 29 hiway mine was 49 hiway.

If you put 10 gallons in each car I've gone 490 miles on 50.00 the gas car went 290 miles on $40.00. At a 1.00 a gallon more for diesel I've traveled 200 mile further on $10.00 than the gas car. At 4 bucks for gas and 5 bucks for diesel I've saved $17.00 on a tank of fuel over the gas car. Feel free to check my math it's late and I've been busy at work.

I buy Mobil 1 oil and an oil filter I don't know what I pay for them but I'd use the same in a gas car. 5 quarts in either. I have it changed every 10k for 15.00 which I would do in either. I spent $1500 not long ago in repairs and maintenance. Fuel filter, oil filter oil change, A/C filter, alternator replaced, timing belt, fan belt. I have 147K on the car. I think all of that would be the same on a gas car too.

My last tank of fuel got me 54mpg (I worked on getting better mileage) I generally get 46 to 49 driving it without any thought of mileage.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slower throttle responses from diesels You need to test drive a new one someday
How could a diesel car become poplular here when auto makers refuse to sell them here?
The extra range between filling the Diesel vrs Gas is a huge convience!!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
Slower throttle responses from diesels You need to test drive a new one someday
How could a diesel car become poplular here when auto makers refuse to sell them here?
The extra range between filling the Diesel vrs Gas is a huge convience!!
You're right I should test drive a new one before I speak. We've had several diesels in the past, 7.3L Powerstroke, two MB 300D's, a MB 240D, and a '95 Cummins. Well, throttle response isn't the same. New diesel cars, I don't know...
Old 06-05-2008, 10:20 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Compared to the newer models.....those comparisons are slow. Was that 240D
even turbochargerd? My little Jetta TDI will probably out accelerate my truck! God I hated to admit that!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:05 AM

If you are going to test drive one then test drive the same model gas car next to it on the lot too. I don't know how my car stacks up against anything else getting on the freeway but it's ok with me it isn't fast. It cruises as fast as I want to go and doesn't seem to be bothered too much by the hills.

One late night I was headed to Mammoth. I was passed by a line of cars some miles south of Bishop. I just looked at them parked at the gas station waiting for the pumps to clear to continue their journey. I kept on driving. So if your car just flys down the road it's still no faster than the last gas station.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 AM

I get a kick when someone will say how fast is it. My self I could care less how fast it is from a stop light I want it to last and get good mpg.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by n2moto
If you are going to test drive one then test drive the same model gas car next to it on the lot too. I don't know how my car stacks up against anything else getting on the freeway but it's ok with me it isn't fast. It cruises as fast as I want to go and doesn't seem to be bothered too much by the hills.

One late night I was headed to Mammoth. I was passed by a line of cars some miles south of Bishop. I just looked at them parked at the gas station waiting for the pumps to clear to continue their journey. I kept on driving. So if your car just flys down the road it's still no faster than the last gas station.
Originally Posted by DBLR
I get a kick when someone will say how fast is it. My self I could care less how fast it is from a stop light I want it to last and get good mpg.
True and true. I really can't stand how some people drive these days. I just cruise for the most part. Just this morning some lady swerved passed me because I was going "slow" (the speed limit), then I passed her as she waited at a red light to make a turn.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:26 PM

That's what I think. Also, they say the jetta diesel gets 41 mpg. Is it just me or do you guys feel like fuel mileage dives a lot easier with diesels than gassers. Like, if I drove that diesel Jetta hard, it might get 33 mpg, but if I drove a gas Jetta that's supposed to get 35 mpg hard, it would only go down to 32 mpg.
My father in law has a 4cyl 5spd 07 Jetta that he cannot break 31 mpg on.. and he drives 55 in the flats to work for about 20 miles.... I bet if he were hard on it the mpg's would be worse... His 30mpgs at .133 cents/mile, the diesel equivalent at 45 would be .106.. over a course of a year just commuting thats $270 less in fuel for the diesel not to mention oil change savings and the like...

If/when I look for a DD it will be a TDI. My drive to work is 16 miles of which I do 45-50 for almost all of it... 50mpg would be pretty easy, at todays fuel prices I would need a 42mpg car to beat the cost per mile. How many 6 year old rigs with 150K are reliable and less than 7K and get 42mpgs?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Banned

If anybody gets a TDI, make sure you chip it. A WORLD of difference.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Baja
If anybody gets a TDI, make sure you chip it. A WORLD of difference.
Why will doing so increase its fuel mileage to make it worth buying the chip? How much do they cost and how long does it take to get a ROI? If not then why spend the $$ to chip it as most buy a TDI for fuel mileage and not to see if they can make it go faster.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:52 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Most chip companies offer modest claims of 1-2 mpg increases in mileage. Most of the chips I've seen available are in the 3-4 hundred dollar range. Not worth it in my opinion. Like you said DBLR......I'm only driving the little turd for mileage!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
This is why I as quite opposed to the use of natural gas to power school busses and transit busses There's a really evil side to the emissions game, like the emissions of all that smoke when a school bus rolls over and 50 kids go up in flames. Try explaining that to a school board or Parent-Teacher Association.
yup, and god forbid you come in contact with the exposed wires of a hybrid, after an accident!

Quick Reply: Diesel Cars still the way to go??