General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel Cars still the way to go??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I for one would love to have a diesel powered touring car or wagon. Not a economy box but a big car that you can take a family of four on a 2 week road trip.

MikeyB
Old 06-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vzdude
Keep telling yourself that and remind all your friends too! Keeo the prices of the diesel cars low so I can keep buying them! I consistently get 47-53 in mine and drive it like I stole it! Figure this out for me if you will.......
Gas engine @ $3.99 / 30 mpg = 13.3 cents per mile for fuel cost
Diesel engine @ $4.79 / 47 =10.1 cents per mile for fuel cost

Pretty simple math to me. Now......lets calculate scheduled maintenance!
Oil and filter change gasser w 5 qts. conventional motor ( manufacturer reccomended) oil is $20 if you do it yourself every 3000 miles = .0066 cents per mile.

Oil and filter change on my VW Jetta TDI w 5 qts. synthetic Mobil 1 $45 every 10,000 miles as reccomended by the manufacturer = .0045 cents per mile.

Again....seems pretty simple to me. Start adding in spark plugs and wires and such, and I'm gaining even more!
Good numbers vzdude. Just goes to show the American mentality, gotta have the gas chuggin gas burners. Diesels are to slow, they smell, to noisey. If I could afford a noisy, slow, smelly TDI or VW bug diesel getting upwards of 50mpg and save me money, less trips to the pump I think I could handle it.

A gas burner won't be more efficient than a diesel engine, it's the nature of the beast, just won't happen.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:28 PM

We need to let the European diesels over here... and quick. By the way, these things are old news. Both are from 2000/2001.

For example:
Audi A2 - Appears to be a crossover SUV... gets 78MPG.

NYT Article: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/27/bu...67efd0&ei=5070

Or the Volkswagon Lupo... supposedly getting over 100 mpg....
http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/newsar...doc=vwg0006011
Old 06-11-2008, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeyB
I for one would love to have a diesel powered touring car or wagon. Not a economy box but a big car that you can take a family of four on a 2 week road trip.

MikeyB
I used to have one of those.... a 1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Diesel. Don't laugh - that tank of a car would usually get better than 20MPG, and one long trip to northern Michigan we got close to 25MPG. Not bad for a heavy, full-size car packed with kids and stuff.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Europe doesn't want us to have their diesels - if we did, who would they sell all of their excess gasoline to?

The Global Economy - you think emissions is the only reason the EPA tightened down so hard on light-duty and pickup truck diesels? They knew that fuel economy and longevity would go down. Better for Big Oil, Big Business, and the Global money machine.

I'll stop now before I get referred to some kind of political forum
Old 06-11-2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by DieselAvenger
We need to let the European diesels over here... and quick. By the way, these things are old news. Both are from 2000/2001.

For example:
Audi A2 - Appears to be a crossover SUV... gets 78MPG.
That's impressive. It looks really small though. Funny how people on this board (not specifically you DieselAvenger) say "I'll never drive an econobox," but then put a diesel in it and "oh yea, that's a cool car." lol..
Old 06-11-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jdonoghue
Europe doesn't want us to have their diesels - if we did, who would they sell all of their excess gasoline to?

The Global Economy - you think emissions is the only reason the EPA tightened down so hard on light-duty and pickup truck diesels? They knew that fuel economy and longevity would go down. Better for Big Oil, Big Business, and the Global money machine.

I'll stop now before I get referred to some kind of political forum

Global economy causing the gas "shortage" my butt...

Just like oil companies only make .11 per gallon... after they put their vertically integrated profits into each stage, then give that amount on the final total... ***...

Oil shortage... no... more like... oil sitting around off the coast because they cant process it quick enough...

Shortage? I dont see any gas stations running out of fuel....

I dont buy any of the crap...

I do find the gas price vs. majority party in congress graph interesting though...
Old 07-09-2008, 10:48 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Originally Posted by SOhappy
Bosch certainly thinks so. They are sponsoring a contest to win a new diesel car for a week. Hope it includes fuel. The catch is you have to live in Michigan, Illinois, Indiana or Ohio.

Enter here:

http://www.autoweek.com/section/diesel

THANKS FOR THE LINK!!!!!!!

I WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will get some pics and info as soon as I know more! I never win this kind of stuff!!!!!!! Pinch me.......I must be dreaming!!!!!!!!

Old 07-09-2008, 11:56 AM

SWEET!!! Can't wait for the details