General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cummins in a demolition derby.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:39 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SOhappy
I don't know what you guys are so uptight about regarding the demo derby car with the Cummins.

The engine will certainly survive the derby (or several for that matter) and it can always go back where it belongs someday...in a pickup truck.

Well, that's the idea. But after the front pully gets slammed repeatedly into other iron and the poor thing probably runs without water till it's ready to blow, gets shifted at full throttle over and over, etc. I would not install it in any pickup of mine. My father used to hate destruction derbies and I always loved them. But I guess using a Cummins is beyond what's fun for me, mainly because I can't believe someone would waste one that way. Plus I like those old Imperials and have had five of them. Amazing cars for that era.

Those old Mercuries with the backwards back windows, from about 1960, seem to do better than almost anything. I remember once when I was kid in So Cal, there was a big event where all brand new cars were used. Cool. It just flaberghasted my father.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why didn't anyone in D.C. think of this? (just thought to combine the topics of derdy's and cash for clunkers) They should have had city-wide demo derbies with all the cars turned in...at least we could have gotten some enjoyment out of watching vehicles being destroyed rather than blowing up the motors running em full of water.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:45 AM

my mom got a thing in the mail for her '03 suburban w/ flexfuel option (about 17mpg). but nothing for my step-dad's '94 F350 w/ 460 (about 10mpg).

my only question is

"WHAT THE **** ARE THE BIG WIGS THINKING???"
Old 09-26-2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by peobryant
Some people just don't know what they have. Like the guys trading their clean 1st Gen's in for the "Cash for Clunkers" program.
My parents made this suggestion on my 2nd gen....talk about some one getting an evil look.

Even though mine does qualify at 16 mpg, I cant stand the thought of what they would do to it, especially after replacing both pumps.