General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cetane rating, Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cetane rating, Which is better?

My local Hess has 45 cetane and the Wilco, BP and Shell all have 40 cetane. The prices are all within pennies of each other.
My question is:
which should I use? I've tried both since my local Bio diesel source dried up and I don't really see much difference.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Higher Cetane is better, within reason...Higher Cetane should mean ignition occurs quicker, allowing more time for a more complete combustion.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:51 PM

In 4+ years of driving my '05, I've only seen the cetane rating posted once, and that was at an Exxon station right off of I-15 in San Diego. It was 41. I guess all things being equal, I'd go with the higher rating.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
http://alternativefuels.about.com/od...t/a/cetane.htm
What is Cetane Number?
Similar to the octane number rating that is applied to gasoline to rate its ignition stability, cetane number is the rating assigned to diesel fuel to rate its combustion quality. While gasoline's octane number signifies its ability to resist auto-ignition (also referred to as pre-ignition, knocking, pinging, or detonation), diesel's cetane number is a measure of the fuel's delay of ignition time (the amount of time between the injection of fuel into the combustion chamber and the actual start of combustion of the fuel charge).

Because diesels rely on compression ignition (no spark), the fuel must be able to auto-ignite--and generally, the quicker the better. A higher cetane number means a shorter ignition delay time and more complete combustion of the fuel charge in the combustion chamber. This, of course, translates into a smoother running, better performing engine with more power and fewer harmful emissions.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At one time Cummins had info on line saying that they wants you to use a fuel with a minimum Cetane of 42 but that info went off line last year. At one time Flint Hills made a winter grade Arctic diesel with a Cetane 45 and it gave better mpg then any other brand diesel I've used in the past 4 years. The only other time I've seen or used premium diesel was at the Exxon on Harrison Ave in Butte MT and will but fuel their anytime I drive through that part of MT as I have noticed better mpg every time I've used it.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:49 AM

I just filled up the other day at the local Marathon Co-OP, I used their "Winterized fuel". I believe they call it Polar+ Premium Diesel, and has an advertised cetane rating of 45.
Ill have to give ya'll a report on it after i run this tank through....