2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Cetane or No Cetane?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cetane or No Cetane?

I drove local for several years and my boss always bought Detroit 466 internationals. He was serious about maintenance and every winter made us run winter formula cetane for anti gel. I live in GA and really don't have much of a winter. Do they ship winter fuel to all states and if so are additives needed? I used it in my last '96 and couldn't tell a difference. I've also seen non cetane formulas like sea foam but have always ben leery about them. I've heard they can loosen up build up and cause more problems. Just curious what's the best winter and summer maintenance and prevention.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not sure about the 'winter fuel' in GA..
but I live in NC and I think we get 'winter fuel' here..but I've never added anything to the fuel for anti-gel..it doesn't get that cold..

in fact I use diesel and the anti-gel for my biodiesel..

just my 2 cents

-dkenny
Old 10-30-2013, 09:48 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Power Service white bottle red cap is all mine ever gets..

What year Truck?

I run it for the lubrication additives more than the Cetane number, since I have a vp 44 IP...
Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Power Service white bottle red cap is all mine ever gets..

What year Truck?

I run it for the lubrication additives more than the Cetane number, since I have a vp 44 IP...
I have a stock '96. I used the white bottle in my last '96 most winters. I've only had this truck for a few weeks so I have only run two tanks of fuel through it and have only just started tweaking and maintaining everything. I bought it from the original owner who took very good care of it. I'm planning and have already ordered several upgrades but my goal is to get good mileage and a long lasting engine.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:13 AM

You get guys that say no additives and guys that use them. Since you get some pretty cold days up here I thought I couldn't go wrong with a little anti gel. I started using Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000-Winter and noticed that my 96 had cleaned up the little bit of smoke it was blowing.

I now run the winter formula fall to spring and Diesel Treat 2000 in the summer. I have also switched over all my vehicles from Amsoil to Schaeffer Supreme 9000 oil and am very happy with it.

If you want to boost your cetane and get the anti gel they also offer Carbon Treat Premium with extra cetane

If your not familiar with Schaeffer, it's a US family owned manufacturer that been around since 1839. One of the biggest problems is finding it on the shelves, but since you can get it online now, problem solved.

Buy1oils ships fast and are very friendly folks, they offer free shipping on orders over $75.00.

(Not a spokesman, just a fan that is very happy with their products.)
Old 10-31-2013, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you do not get cold enough to need winter blend and no additive needed. the winter blend is #1 diesel or kerosene added to keep from jelling, it has a lower cetane rating therefore poorer fuel mileage
Old 10-31-2013, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Yea, what is cold in Georgia, 40 degrees? ( not making fun of ya, I wish I lived there! )

I don't put anything in till it starts getting serious, towards the single digits.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Yea, what is cold in Georgia, 40 degrees? ( not making fun of ya, I wish I lived there! )

I don't put anything in till it starts getting serious, towards the single digits.
We usually only have about 3 or 4 days out of the winter that it didn't stay down into the teens at night. I'd say the average is in the 20's to 30's at night In 30 to 40 steering the day. So nothing major Which is why I'm asking if I should even add Anything. I'm not so much concerned about The weather as I am Taking care of my truck. I'd say I could run a summer formula year round here Based on what you guys are saying.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I would. If it really bothers you, if I remember right, about January was the only month it even got cold at all when I lived down there, so say January run PS White bottle.

For grins, have you seen what the Cetane sticker on the pump says? Around here, 40 is about as good as you can find.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
wilderness:

I run "pure cetane" in my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve all the time because I have a high performance 5.9 Cummins Engine it. You can buy "pure cetane"
from Scheid Diesel as they sell it to the diesel sled pullers and drag racers.
It makes a huge difference in my truck. If you are interested in this pure cetane here is the toll free number for Scheid Diesel: 1-800-669-1593.

I would add that I don't think the white bottles of "Power Service" Diesel Fuel
Additive have any extra cetane, but the darker gray bottles do.

---------
John_P
Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
#2 doesn't start gelling enough to cause problems till 12°F
Old 11-01-2013, 11:21 AM

Part of the reason I look into additives is because I have poor fuel mileage. I changed the fuel lines, changed fuel filter, cleaned pre filter, added BHAF and ordered the overflow valve. I used to get around 500 miles per tank on my previous '96 and I'll be lucky to get 400 on this one.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you are looking in the wrong area. set the timing to 15.5* and try that for a while, if this does not bring it up send the pump and injectors to dr. performance or industrial injection for higher pressure economy upgrade. we change turbo's to the he351cw and set the wg at 33 psi. the bhaf is a bad idea, it let's to much hot air in
Old 11-02-2013, 11:25 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Whoa, I would start with the simple stuff, tire pressure, tire size/speedo calibration, gearing, weight and driving conditions, altitude etc, before I started pulling parts....

The Power Service white bottle claims to increase cetane number a bit, I am not sure if this is an element or a measurement though....kind of like octane in gasoline...
Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 PM

According to Wikipedia, #2 gel point is 17.5.
I would prefer using PS White or something similar. vs being stuck.
I think 25 or below is worth the additive, whatever your flavor

Quick Reply: Cetane or No Cetane?