Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Canadian buying a US truck in USA

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 AM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ultramag,
That is good to hear that they will accept a faxed copy of title to meet the 72 hour requirement.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I did this and there is no warranty...none...usa or Canada...says so in bright bold red letters when they run my vin on the screen.

Check this site...it shows who will do what with regards to warranty. I do believe I have purchased my last Dodge product.

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=253

Ford offers warranty and GM does...but there is one other catch on the GM's that is not posted yet...or maybe its on the riv.ca site.
Any 2008 built after Dec 1, 2007 does not comply to Canadian rules.

I priced an F450 King Ranch Crew 4x4 awhile back and it was 15,000.00 less then in Canada. I think that has changed now as there has been some price adjustments.

Dodge now offers 5850 in rebates on the HD line. I saved 13K AFTER I did the frame stretch. Time to BOMB the mega cab.

Scotty
Old 12-11-2007, 02:01 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
thats true. did youll know the canadians are second rate to american hockey and thats being generous?

brett
Sounds like your tv is upside down or you been drinking Canadian beer.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:50 AM

Wink aik

i had several dealers fax titles to the us customs border crossing that i was crossing at.just in case i decided to buy something else u.s.customs would have a copy of the title.i spent a total of 5 minutes at the u.s. side the agent came out to verify the v.i.n. and stamped my original title and off i went to the canada side.paid the 6% g.s.t. and $100.00 air cond. tax.finding out that i don't have a warranty might force me to sell it and buy one locally with the profits off this truck
Old 12-11-2007, 09:18 AM

Doesn't make any sense as your currency has gotten stronger and is now on par with ours that the prices on your new vehicles have not reflected that. I would probably jump through a lot of hopps to import one too if I lived in Canada. If enough Canadians do maybe your prices will correct downwards where they should be? or that's how it's supposed to work we're both about half communist anymore so who knows. On the flip side American dealers are surely enjoying this trend..
Old 12-11-2007, 10:20 AM

What's funny is when you take a truck to Mexico they don't even need the title, just a bill of sale. When my brother sold his chevy to a mexican they didn't even want the title.

Oh, yeah and if I could save 15 grand on a truck I probably wouldn't be too worried about the warranty. You can fix anything multiple times with 15 smackers.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry, dumb question, just curious...

Originally Posted by Scotty
I did this and there is no warranty...none...usa or Canada...says so in bright bold red letters when they run my vin on the screen.
"U.S. cars brought into Canada new will not be covered on either side of the border."

So..how do they know? I mean, if you lived near the border (doesn't 95% of the Canadian population live within 100 miles of the U.S. border?) and took a U.S spec truck to a U.S. dealer for service, how does he know it been Canadian-ized? The license plates? Your address?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

an america truck is already better than a canadian built one becuase we have mph instead of kph and gallons over liters. im suprised out borders arent being busted down over those two things right now...and to see some real hockey, women and drink some manly beer

brett
Old 12-11-2007, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by DiEseLjunKy
Doesn't make any sense as your currency has gotten stronger and is now on par with ours that the prices on your new vehicles have not reflected that. I would probably jump through a lot of hopps to import one too if I lived in Canada. If enough Canadians do maybe your prices will correct downwards where they should be? or that's how it's supposed to work we're both about half communist anymore so who knows. On the flip side American dealers are surely enjoying this trend..
Our dollar was at $1.10 AMD. At this point, I priced out identicle trucks on the american and canadian websites, and the canadian was $10k more. On top of the fact that we had a stronger dollar. With exchange, it would have been $11k more. The Bank of Canada is now trying to lower out currency below par. I guess the consumers of this country mean nothing if the exporters aren't happy.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by buzz1356
Thanks guys ! but the price state side and the stronger canadian dollar make this AWFUL tempting. I heard the canadian dollar make reach 1.05 by january
Keep an eye on this http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/exchange.html .
The Canadian dollar hasn't been very impressive the past week .
Old 12-11-2007, 06:03 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

I was going to buy some performance parts from a certain vendor in Surrey this week. The price between CDN and US was about sixty dollars.He would not sell it to me at par or for US so he can keep the parts.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SOhappy
"U.S. cars brought into Canada new will not be covered on either side of the border."

So..how do they know? I mean, if you lived near the border (doesn't 95% of the Canadian population live within 100 miles of the U.S. border?) and took a U.S spec truck to a U.S. dealer for service, how does he know it been Canadian-ized? The license plates? Your address?
How do they know? Its simple...once it is registered in Canada and the feds have the paperwork, it goes into a database for the manufacturers. Theres a paper trail from the moment you buy it. I never had my truck into a Canadian dealer...only the one I bought it from in the USA for the G30 recall.

As mentioned. Compared to what I would have paid up here...I still saved a bunch. Now if Dodge would only offer the option to buy a vehicle without warranty...at a substantially reduced price...they might be able to pull themselves out of the hole that the big 3 have dug themselves.

Scotty
Old 12-12-2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Clayten
I was going to buy some performance parts from a certain vendor in Surrey this week. The price between CDN and US was about sixty dollars.He would not sell it to me at par or for US so he can keep the parts.
The problem there may be he bought the part when the Canadian dollar was at its highest a couple of weeks ago . Check the link above for the current exchange rate . I'm sure other vendors are in a similar situation . They paid an inflated price and now have to overcharge or take a loss .
Old 12-12-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Clayten
I was able to do this from this vendor when a certain guy was associated with them. Interesting that they don't do it anymore. I was also able to do it at another vendor in the same province that specializes in certain components . The first vendor you mentioned may find themselves losing a lot of business.

So, how was that for "politically correct"? Whew!!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by berner
I was able to do this from this vendor when a certain guy was associated with them. Interesting that they don't do it anymore. I was also able to do it at another vendor in the same province that specializes in certain components . The first vendor you mentioned may find themselves losing a lot of business.

So, how was that for "politically correct"? Whew!!

I've quit buying from them entirely now until they realize how they are screwing us. When our dollar was 10% HIGHER than the american dollar, and they were charging us as if it were 13% LOWER, you need to give your head a shake.

RickG, the Bank of Canada is trying to get our dollar lower again. Since our economy is primarily on exporting to the US, a weak canadian dollar makes for good profits. They don't really care about what we have to pay to import goods.