General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Bring On The New Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, if that was directed towards me 03qclb5spd. It's hard for me to talk good about GM in general. 4 years of their raping me blind kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. I guess my point was that the Cummins has been pretty much the same other than fuel systems, turbo's, aftercoolers and such for the last XX years and the general idea I have gathered is based on the 5 years of the duramax....not a full 20 year or so comparison. One engine(Cummins) -vs- 3 or 4 from the General.

I suppose arguments like this have been going on for years, who has got the best diesel engine, most horsepower and torque etc. I like my Dodge Cummins, you(whoever) likes their duramax.....or dare I say your powerstroke(which is what I drive daily in my service truck). But if people belittle my engine it's only curtious to belittle theirs. I used to jokingly play around with the GM guys.....but after my experience, it's hard not to get down right ugly. I think I'll fall back into the shadows now and just read.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:43 PM
FAY

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
Sorry, if that was directed towards me 03qclb5spd. It's hard for me to talk good about GM in general. 4 years of their raping me blind kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. I guess my point was that the Cummins has been pretty much the same other than fuel systems, turbo's, aftercoolers and such for the last XX years and the general idea I have gathered is based on the 5 years of the duramax....not a full 20 year or so comparison. One engine(Cummins) -vs- 3 or 4 from the General.

I suppose arguments like this have been going on for years, who has got the best diesel engine, most horsepower and torque etc. I like my Dodge Cummins, you(whoever) likes their duramax.....or dare I say your powerstroke(which is what I drive daily in my service truck). But if people belittle my engine it's only curtious to belittle theirs. I used to jokingly play around with the GM guys.....but after my experience, it's hard not to get down right ugly. I think I'll fall back into the shadows now and just read.
dodgeguy71, just tell it like it is and if anyone does not like it they do not have to read it or believe it. We are all free to believe whatever we want and can own whatever truck strikes our fancy. Everyone should not try to subtly intimidate another person for what he reveals, or else we all do not have an opportunity to investige the negative evidence provided about weaknesses in certain vehicles.

I have always owned Ford F-250 gasoline pickups until I could stand it no longer and bought a GMC 1500 while I saved for a diesel truck. I just looked at the way the diesel engine parts were put together and decided from physical design facts that an I-6 with seven main bearing for 6 cylinders was stronger than five main bearings for 8 cylinders. I was buying a truck for work and not joyriding. Our gasoline vehicles are people movers. The marketing propaganda from the truck manufacturers did no influence me. I used good common sense and bought a Cummins and the Dodge body and frame came along for the ride. I like my Dodge now, but would like to see greaseable ball and U-joints. That front drive shaft U-joint with the needle injection grease fitting is a pain. What truck is perfectly designed? This is the real world and if I can't stand hearing something negative about my Dodge, then I am poorer for being narrow minded.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:22 PM

Nothing was directed towards me at all. It's just that sometimes people get over sensitive about the issue. Cummins guys will always stand their ground, i'll always stand mine. But at the same time i'm not going to bring up some of the things that have been brought up like the history of Cummins vs. the history of Duramax. Sure the Cummins has been around for quite some time, almost 20 years of a solid and nearly flawless reputation but we've had our bumps here and there. I mean it matters yes, but to a point. The Duramax is a pretty good design, it gets the job done stock for it's owners and is selling pretty well. Some people have multiple bad experiences with a certain product but I also think a lot of people tend to base their opinions on one first hand exeperience or in some cases form it by seeing someone they know with issues and automatically come up with a not so good opinion. All too often people seem to ignore the fact that most of the time people who have bad experiences speak up and are heard much more than those that are just "satisfied" ...Just like when we were kids, when we did something wrong we got in trouble and everyone seemed to hear about it....but when you were on your best behavior being an Angel how many people really praised you and took notice? Bottom line for me is that I like pretty much all things diesel and while I know that my Cummins seems to be a superior engine i'm not going to diss the Duramax. I actually hope that Ford's new 6.4 turns out to be a real hoss and creates some super stiff competition in the coming year.......can't wait to see what happens with Diesels in the coming years
Old 12-10-2006, 08:51 PM

with all this overheating with the DMAX, im just curious how many gallons of coolant does the DMAX/ chev hold? the 3gen cummins holds 7 gallons and in the most extreme summer towing of my trailer(like climbing cabbage in 103 degree heat) my temps only rise 10 degrees over normal. not being sarcastic i really want to know.