12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

bring it on!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 12:15 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bring it on!!!!!!!!!

hey diesel world. I am very new to diesels. I just bought a '97 2wd dually AT tranny. I would like to start my own buisness with this truck. I guess they call it hotshoting. I want to buy a multi-car hauler and contract to local dealers and maybe some long hauls(if the wife lets me). Anyway, I plan on removing the silencer ring tommorow. Anyone have any useful info on this or do I just remove the turbo intake housing, removr the snap-ring thing, pull out the silencer and slap it all back together?<br><br> I want to get some gages. Exactly where do I hook a Pyro gage at? Do I have to weld in a bung? Where does the boost gage hook up at? What about a fuel pressr?<br><br> 1 more question...what are the biggest tires that you can fit on a 2wheel drive dually retaining the stock 16inchers? I can't afford the 19.5's right now.<br><br>thanks for any input. more ?????????later<br><br>jeremy [undecided] [undecided] [undecided] [undecided]
Old 02-19-2003, 06:54 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:bring it on!!!!!!!!!

[quote author=truckshopper link=board=16;threadid=11135;start=0#106325 date=1045635351]<br>hey diesel world. I am very new to diesels. I just bought a '97 2wd dually AT tranny. I would like to start my own buisness with this truck. I guess they call it hotshoting. I want to buy a multi-car hauler and contract to local dealers and maybe some long hauls(if the wife lets me). Anyway, I plan on removing the silencer ring tommorow. Anyone have any useful info on this or do I just remove the turbo intake housing, removr the snap-ring thing, pull out the silencer and slap it all back together?<br><br> I want to get some gages. Exactly where do I hook a Pyro gage at? Do I have to weld in a bung? Where does the boost gage hook up at? What about a fuel pressr?<br><br> 1 more question...what are the biggest tires that you can fit on a 2wheel drive dually retaining the stock 16inchers? I can't afford the 19.5's right now.<br><br>thanks for any input. more ?????????later<br><br>jeremy [undecided] [undecided] [undecided] [undecided]<br>[/quote]<br><br>To answer a few of your questions....to put your truck to work first you need insurance required by the DOT $750000.00 Lib and Cargo Insurance $50000.00 min after that you need to apply for a DOT number and the list keeps going on...here's a link to the Regulatory Guidance for the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations <br>http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rulesregs/fmcsr/fmcsrguide.htm<br><br>The best place for the EGT pryro is in the exhaust manifold before the turbo<br><br>I believe the largest tire you can put on without rubbing is 235/85/16<br><br>Hope this helps some
Old 02-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Re:bring it on!!!!!!!!!

truckshopper:<br><br>You can mount your pyrometer probe in the exhaust<br>manifold or in the elbow behind the turbocharger.<br>IMO, putting the pyro in the exhaust manifold<br>will give you more accurate readings. <br><br>Right where your turbo bolts to the manifold is<br>where you will need to drill the hole. DON'T<br>DRILL directly in the center, as there is a &quot;rib&quot;<br>there. You can go to either side of the center.<br>I recommend taking off the turbo before doing<br>the drilling for obvious reasons! If you<br>don't remove the turbo before the install, try<br>to have someone hold a vacuum to suck some<br>of the metal shavings up while you drill. After<br>you drill the hole, you will have to &quot;tap thread&quot;<br>the hole according to the size required by the<br>gauge manafacturer. NO WELDING REQUIRED!<br>Once you get the hole threaded, you screw in<br>the pyro probe, adjust it and tighten your locknuts<br>down, then run your wiring. Maybe one of the<br>members can post a picture for you. <br><br>The boost gauge probe can be placed in the<br>intake horn. Similar procedures for that too.<br>Be careful not to pinch your hose though!<br><br>Good luck!<br><br>--------<br>John_P<br>