General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Blocking off the radiator.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 09:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Blocking off the radiator.....

When blocking off the radiator how much can you block off? Do you need to leave alittle opening for the fan clutch? How about the transmission & oil cooler? My driving is mostly around town with a little country driving to get home. I put a 24X20 piece of plastic between the radiator and the innercooler and it helps. I just don't want to burn up the fan clutch.

Any of you cold country boys do this? I'm looking at the cold fronts, but its -5 now!
Old 12-24-2004, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just find a piece of cardboard that fits between the radiator and the intercooler. That way you don't need to worry about the tranny cooler. You don't even need to worry about the oil cooler. I have read that there should be a 9" hole in the center for the fan clutch. My understanding is the hole is so the fan doesn't decide to make an unscheduled departure.
Tom
Old 12-24-2004, 11:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What happens if there isn't a hole in the center or the radiator 100% blocked off is that the fan blades come under load every time then pass the point of airflow and flex a little till a fan blade finally breaks loose. This doesn't happen with plastic fans. In every broken fan I've dealt with cardboard has been involved, sometimes the damage is extensive...

I have better luck removing my fan entirely from Oct till June. Besides warming up better it accelerates faster and is much quieter. No problem until outside temps hits 80°F.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:29 PM

I remove my fan and cover part of the radiator. Never had a temp problem.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:37 PM

I just use cold fronts from October to March.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:58 PM
JKM

What is the easiest way to take the fan off?
Old 12-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
With the correct wrenches. One looks like a normal open end wrench and fits the fan, the other is weird looking and fits around the bolt heads on the fan pulley. You hold the pulley and take the fan off. Threads are bass ackwards. I got my set from Harold Bowers, his email is rvhvnfn or rvhvnfun@juno.com. Last I knew he wanted $20 for the set.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by wannadiesel
With the correct wrenches. One looks like a normal open end wrench and fits the fan, the other is weird looking and fits around the bolt heads on the fan pulley. You hold the pulley and take the fan off. Threads are bass ackwards. I got my set from Harold Bowers, his email is rvhvnfn or rvhvnfun@juno.com. Last I knew he wanted $20 for the set.
THANK YOU!! I have been looking for a set of those, but figured it'd cost me a pretty penny.

BTW, the correct email add is rvhvnfn@juno.com
Old 12-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Don't expect anything fancy, they're just cut out of 1/4" steel plate with a water jet machine. They do the job, though - mine have removed over 30 fans.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:51 PM

Exactly what I'm looking for. Used a set of those at a bomb party once. Nothing fancy at all, but did the job.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Take your time and you'll find the fan comes out the top without removing anything else, it's like a jigsaw puzzle though, only one way works. You have to lift up with the fan hub almost under where the upper hose attaches to the radiator then spin it with the hose in-between two fan blades.

If you have trouble keeping the pulley from turning while turning the fan nut take a long drift and a big hammer and give the nut a good whack on the right side of a flat. Gets it every time.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:10 AM

I would suggest to put anti sieze on the cleaned threads when reinstalling as it will help when taking off next time, Goodluck,,Rick
Old 12-26-2004, 11:32 AM

Can you get the fan loose with regular wrenches,I was looking at the winter fronts but id rather do this.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Adminstrator-ess

A wrench of the proper size is usually too thick to fit between the fan and the pulley. If you have one that will slide in there, you could pull the belt off and put a strap wrench on the pulley and do it that way. I find that a tap on the wrench with a hammer is more effective than brute force, and you don't lose so much skin off your knuckles.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:58 PM

Got it with a punch on the nut then a stuck my big crescent wrench on there and pulled it real quick and it came right loose.I slipped it out the bottom,it slides right out that way.

Quick Reply: Blocking off the radiator.....