General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Auto or 5 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto or 5 speed?

So im kinda in the market for a new truck right now and im debating on whether to get an automatic or a 5 or 6 speed. Im not sure what truck im gonna get yet but it will be a diesel. I drive 5 speed powerstrokes around at work all day and love it but dont know if i want one for my everyday vehicle. So what do you guys prefer? Put all tranny problems aside as well i know dodge has a horrible tranny i just wanna know what you guys prefer and why.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If it is going to be a tow rig get a stick. If you want to be quick get an automatic and budget to get it built right.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:41 PM

Whoever told you Dodge has horrible trannies was wrong. They have a transmission that was designed to withstand the stock output of the Cummins. They have done that. People run into tranny problems when they double or triple their rwhp and don't do anything to the tranny. When it breaks, its because Dodge puts junk transmission in their truck... No.

Sorry for the rant, but it really bugs me when people say things that are not true.

For your original question, go with whatever you like to drive more. You can build the auto to withstand all you can throw at it, but it will cost a couple grand.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:44 AM

I love auto, but you will have to get a new TC and VB at least.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by '91 1st Gen
Whoever told you Dodge has horrible trannies was wrong. They have a transmission that was designed to withstand the stock output of the Cummins. They have done that. People run into tranny problems when they double or triple their rwhp and don't do anything to the tranny. When it breaks, its because Dodge puts junk transmission in their truck... No.

Sorry for the rant, but it really bugs me when people say things that are not true.

For your original question, go with whatever you like to drive more. You can build the auto to withstand all you can throw at it, but it will cost a couple grand.
Funny thing is if you go look at all the old PSD's they all have to have a tranny rebuild around 100k. That EO4d was no prize at all. And the TS cant stand up to the 6.0 all that well either. But the early 47RE did have issues. And Ford and Chevy guys cant stand that we got the Cummins. So thats all they have left is to say our tranny is bad. Oh well let them keep buying 40K+ that devalue so fast becuase of all the problems of the 6.0 and 6.4
Old 05-11-2009, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by 450rRacer
...i know dodge has a horrible tranny...
Is that why all the hardcore Duramax hotrodders are using 47RE's?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
sticks are much easier to work on a more reliable in my opinion. and take more HP with less money
Old 05-11-2009, 06:47 PM

Sorry i just know that a lot of people that i know went with the 5 or 6 speed cuz they said the autos are junk. I've been searching for a 5 or 6 speed 2nd gen. cummins but there hard to find, ive found a lot of nice autos though.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by 450rRacer
Sorry i just know that a lot of people that i know went with the 5 or 6 speed cuz they said the autos are junk. I've been searching for a 5 or 6 speed 2nd gen. cummins but there hard to find, ive found a lot of nice autos though.
They aren't "bad" transmissions, like 1st Gen said, it's because people are bumping up the power to ridiculous levels and expecting the stock trans to take it. Take that from someone who grenaded quite a few autos. I never once blamed the trans, or the rebuilder, just myself for not going to a manual sooner.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I don't care how good you build the auto transmission, there is only one way to guarantee you will NEVER have an automatic transmission problem...... buy a standard transmission. Also with a standard you can push pull or bump start it. You can also move it a short distance just driving on the starter if needed.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
I don't care how good you build the auto transmission, there is only one way to guarantee you will NEVER have an automatic transmission problem...... buy a standard transmission. Also with a standard you can push pull or bump start it. You can also move it a short distance just driving on the starter if needed.
Automatics also don't like being submerged in water
Old 05-13-2009, 03:36 PM

My first cummins was a 5 speed, and that thing had tons of power and moved! All I had was BHAF, exhaust, #10 Plate, and 3000 GSK. I wanted a quad cab, so I sold it and for some odd reason I talked myself into an automatic (boo) I'm still kickin myself for that one. So I got this automatic, I do like the quad cab by the way, but the automatic, it is only stock so I can't say anything about a beefed up one, which I would like to drive to see how they are, but I don't know of anyone around, anyway all the power goes into the automatic tranny and all the auto tranny gnomes love the cummins power, so they are living in the tranny just suckin up all this power steeling it before it goes to rear wheels, it's ridiculous, it really is. So I plan on doing an auto to manual swap in the near future, and hopefully get that set you back in the seat feeling again, and the occasion sled pull. Unless by chance I get to drive a beefed up auto that would change my mind, but theres just something about the direct power of the manual tranny and grabbin gears!
Old 05-13-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
True, but manual transmissions have problems as well, I would go out on a limb and say more problems than a properly built automatic.

Torqmonster, I had no idea the difference a built auto would make either. My brother's Common Rail has a full billet auto, and I absolutley love it. I'm still debating whether or not to swap in a bult 47RH or NV4500 in my truck, but I will probably do whichever one is cheaper, because a built auto is just as fun as a 5spd, in my opinion.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Is that why all the hardcore Duramax hotrodders are using 47RE's?
Amen brother and the older ones are better than the newer ones.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:40 PM

No one can doubt the practicality of a manuel. It is the work truck standard. However, for fun and occasional RV pulling a built auto, hands down.

Quick Reply: Auto or 5 speed?