General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Anyone thinking about switching to a gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny5.9
Here's some math I came up with. Correct me if I'm wrong.
My diesel averages 17 mpg on summer fuel. Mixed towing, hauling, city, highway.
My friends almost exact same truck with a 6 litre gas gets 12 mpg highway/city with no hauling or towing usually. But I'll use that number since all trucks are different.

My typical mileage: avg. 80mi/day x 5 days/week= 400 mi/week.
400 divided by 12=33.33 gal of fuel used x $3.35 (price I saw today)=$111.65/week
400 div. by 17=23.52 gal of fuel used x $4.15 (what I paid today)
=$97.60
$111.65-$97.60= $14.05 fuel savings per week.
Purchase price of diesel option $7000.00 divided by $14.05=498.22 weeks divided by 52= 9.5 years to break even.

But that doesn't include the value of pulling up beside a gasser when you're rattling away beside him. They always let you go first off the light because they know they don't stand a chance!
I agree with your math, all the way up to the point of the $7K option for the diesel. If you look at the out the door price for a Dodge CTD 2500 diesel vs. a 2500 Hemi Dodge or 6 liter Chevy, there's no way there's a $7K markup for the diesel in the Dodge. I've seen maybe $3 to $5K difference, but not $7K.

A friend of mine paid $28K for a Hemi Dodge 1500 with an auto. at the same time I bought the CTD in my sig. Price difference between the two trucks was about $2K. I got mine for right at $30K. He gets 11, maybe 12 MPG if he's lucky and drives a lot of highway. I'm averaging 17-18 city and highway and do the occasional WOT run and don't worry about watching the gauge move too much.

So using my fuel prices here in MO., and using your math example (which I think is right on by the way) and using my $2K difference scenario, I made up the difference back in late 2006.

Actually I probably made up the difference much earlier than that. Does anyone else remember the good old days when diesel was actually CHEAPER or about the same price as 87 octane unleaded???

Ah, the good old days.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:23 AM

The engine price difference was always there even when fuel was $1.00
Old 03-13-2008, 11:34 AM

ok sorry- CUMMINS-
Old 03-13-2008, 01:08 PM

I've thought about it, and many in my family have urged me to do so, as they have jumped ship and gone gas. My first vehicle was a diesel pickup, it's what I've always known. I've had a couple gassers in between, but simply can not see going back as my main vehicle. I am selling off both of my 12 Valves, for one truck. Will be a loaded to the gills, quad cab 24 Valve. Haven't found it yet though.

I do think that getting a small economy coupe with a 4 cylinder gas engine would be in my best interest as far as going to and from work. Would notice the most savings in that area of driving.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, never. Been there ('03 Ford PSD), done that (traded for '05 F-150) and now I'm back with truck in sig.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If I "switched" to a gasser, it would have an engine smaller than 2.0L

Here's the rub, though. If i bought another car to try and save money, how much would I really save?

If I could buy a 30 mpg car for $3500, I'd have to drive it for 30K miles to pay for itself, assuming gas at $3.25 and diesel at $4. Accounting for insurance, registration, and a higher fuel price of $3.50 for gas, the number goes up to almost 40K miles, even under pretty bad conditions.

So I don't think it would be that hard for a beater to pay for itself. I can save enough money operating a gasser beater in place of my truck that I can pay for the beater in less than 40K miles.

Meanwhile, that Dynatrac hub kit would take almost 100K to pay for itself. I'm not to keen on driving 100K with fuel at $4/gal
Old 03-13-2008, 04:20 PM

Well I've calculated that it costs $100-150 more per month to drive the truck than the Accord (1000-1500 miles per month). Fuel for the truck is also just a tad bit over double what the Accord would cost. Why I still have this truck I don't know... Feels cool I guess. I've seen a lot more people parking their trucks lately. My neighbor has a huge lifted F250 Powerstroke with 38" wheels and lately I've seen him cruising his Harley. There's another Powerjoke down my street and I never see it move.

If you check the classifieds, notice how there's a lot more trucks for sale all of a sudden.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Well boys, I went back to the paid for Chevy Caprice this week. I cannot justify driving the Diesel when the price differential is this high.

I probably would not go out and buy a vehicle, but since I had her, I might as well save whatever $$ I can, plus it gives me a chance to pull her down to do some maintenance........
Old 03-13-2008, 06:56 PM

Well

i wouldnt ditch my diesel for the following reasons.. One its a labor of love, Ive built what i have with my own hands, and worked to get it the way i want it to. I just cannot let it go when i have got so much time, effort, money and more into it. I also cannot let it go because it has not given me any major problems at all, and serves my purposes well for towing, and driving. and finally BECAUSE ITS PAID FOR and mine!

I however invested 2000 dollars in a 93 ford ranger, 4wd five speed, that has already saved me a good chunk of money on diesel. Ive driven my 96 for 400 miles in the past month. The truck is cleaner than it has ever been, and ive used it only to haul three loads this month and justified using the smaller truck to take me to and from work, and running around with errands. The truck gets about the same mileage as my cummins, but still its a little cheaper to run it around, easier to park and it dont take a lot to keep it runnin.

Will i switch to a gasser? confidentially if i could have a TDI engine in the ranger, no i wouldnt, but for now, ill use both trucks, its good to have two paid for vehicle and can have one for the job at hand, whether its haulin a couple of tons, or just myself to work...

I do agree, fuel prices are nuts tho... but what can we do...

Rick
Old 03-13-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by truckjunkie
I agree with your math, all the way up to the point of the $7K option for the diesel. If you look at the out the door price for a Dodge CTD 2500 diesel vs. a 2500 Hemi Dodge or 6 liter Chevy, there's no way there's a $7K markup for the diesel in the Dodge. I've seen maybe $3 to $5K difference, but not $7K.

A friend of mine paid $28K for a Hemi Dodge 1500 with an auto. at the same time I bought the CTD in my sig. Price difference between the two trucks was about $2K. I got mine for right at $30K. He gets 11, maybe 12 MPG if he's lucky and drives a lot of highway. I'm averaging 17-18 city and highway and do the occasional WOT run and don't worry about watching the gauge move too much.

So using my fuel prices here in MO., and using your math example (which I think is right on by the way) and using my $2K difference scenario, I made up the difference back in late 2006.

Actually I probably made up the difference much earlier than that. Does anyone else remember the good old days when diesel was actually CHEAPER or about the same price as 87 octane unleaded???

Ah, the good old days.
I guess you're right about the diesel option price. Keep in mind I drive a d-max though. I checked the D-max option price with the mandatory allison it's $7195.00. But when you take into account the price reductions you get off sticker you have to figure that in. I can't find my window sticker right now but I know the trucks MSRP was $42'???.?? and I paid $36???.???. So factor in the amount the price was reduced 14.29% aprox. $7195.00-14.29%=$6166.83 for diesel/allison combo. $6166.83 divided by 14.05= 438.92 weeks div. by 52=8.44 years to pay off.

But there are many variables and, the fact of the matter is, if you're an enthusiast why not. People pay more for snowmobiles and quads that don't get near the use.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:19 PM

No. When I think gasser it = plugs,wires, and a whole bunch of emissions controls. Happy with my cummins and it gets better mileage than my jeep did with a mag. 360.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:20 PM

Keep in mind that when/if you resell yout truck, the cost of the diesel option is negated by the higher resale value.

According to the Black Book, you'll get 117% of the cost of the diesel engine in a Silverado...in other words, it more than pays for itself.

http://www.blackbookusa.com/PR/Diese...se%20final.htm
Old 03-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Chapter President

Getting rid of mine??? Never!!!! However, I was in the market for a new suv for my wife and wanted a CRD Liberty which would become our daily driver. This idea has come to an end though, and I'll save lots of money by buying a cheaper priced ($6K-$9k) used XJ Cherokee that gets 20-22mph, instead of a more expensive ($16-$20K) CRD Liberty that gets 25-28mpg. And with a choice of vehicles that get nearly the same MPG's, I'll simple drive whatever has the cheapest fuel that day.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:01 PM

Thumbs up

I'm keeping my Urban Assault Vehicle!

Although, I have been thinking ALOT about selling it and leasing a small Honda Civic LX.

My truck is mainly used as a commuter vehicle. I average about 60 miles/day. My truck gets around 20 MPG whereas the Civic would double that at 40 MPG.

I spend roughly $200/month in diesel, so I would save $100/month going to the Honda (rough numbers).

I still owe $10k on my truck and can Lease the Civic for (3) years @ $240/month.

After the (3) year Lease, the Civic would be turned in. Keeping the truck after (3) years, it would almost be paid off and STILL be worth a good chunk of change! NO BRAINER THERE.

My decision to keep it really boiled down to this. PEACE OF MIND DRIVING A LARGE VEHICLE!

Think about it. When was the last time someone road-raged you when you where driving your big diesel ????

Had to stop and think about it didn't you ??

Since I've had my truck, commuting in rush hour traffic has become PAINLESS! I very rarely ever get cut off, other driver's move out of your way and I could careless if you tailgate me (cause I CAN'T SEE YOU!)

Plus, my wife pointed out that I would be bitching ALL THE TIME (about being road-raged) if I where to get the tiny Civic.

So.....CASE CLOSED. I'm driving the wheels off my truck!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:46 AM

Well I parked my Truck last April when I found my "Beater work car" VW Jetta TDI. It was costing me at that time around $600.00 in fuel costs every 3k to fuel the truck, plus the tires go for $1,000-$1,200 to replace ever 30-40k. So I bought the Jetta knowing that fuel was never going down anytime soon, Now I spend $240 every 3k to fuel the Jetta and $250.00 to buy new tires every 40-50k. Also the oil changes are ever 10k miles. Multi-car AAA discount only adds 200.00 a year to the insurance policy.
I figure I am saving around $300-$350 a month with putting miles on the econobox and saving the truck for truck duties.
Its a tight squeeze getting me in the car, but it works with some lard and a big shoehorn.
Doug.

Quick Reply: Anyone thinking about switching to a gasser?