General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Am I crazy for thinking of this engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I dont think youre crazy ,but that engine has to be at least 2000 lbs I would guess.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:05 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/78-Fo...QQcmdZViewItem

You mean like this?
Old 09-16-2007, 12:56 PM

I would bet the engine would be SOME KIND of heavy.

That said GET TO FABBIN'!!!!
Old 09-16-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember this guy my dad hung out with when I was a kid, he had a 3208 in his chev 1 ton dually 2+2. Pulled his race car all over the place with this thing.

Last edited by jrmcleod78; 09-16-2007 at 07:37 PM. Reason: I'm stupid
Old 09-17-2007, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by NoSparkplugs
Ok so I've started a new job recently and at work we have this old (1970s era I'm guessing) mining style dump truck and it has some form of a Detroit Diesel 2 stroke motor, its a V8, supercharged (looks to be a roots style) and its rated at 270hp at around 1900RPM. I'm guessing this is an 8Vsomething? I don't know the displacement of it but I honestly think its only a bit bigger than a big block gasser in physical size.

Now with that being said, this thing not only sounds sweet, its deafening loud. So is there any chance a guy could swap this into a 1 ton truck frame/body. I'm thinking maybe an 80's F-350 Dually? Or am I absolutely in lala land with this idea? I've seen a video on youtube with a DD 2 stroke in his early 90s chevy but its making his front end sag quite a bit (or he has it lowered) but with the stack out of the hood, its pretty sweet.

So am I crazy for thinking of doing something like this? Or should I find a different project like getting some injectors and a bigger turbo for my truck.

Keep in mind, if it is possible, I don't plan on doing it anytime soon and the truck would only be at the sled pulls for a few runs and laughs.

I still run Detroits. They were never 'prone' to running away. It could happen but it was rare. The older Detroits, early 70's back, came with Emergency Stop. One of the primary reasons for the emergency stop was due to the possibility the engine could reverse and run backward. In that event shutting down the fuel would not stop the engine. By activating emergency stop a damper was closed in the air inlet housing starving the engine of air. It can be hard on the engine and is not something one should play with. By the mid to late 70's Detroit went to an electric over air fuel shutdown solenoid and deleted the emergency stop setup. However, it could be specified or ordered if your fleet just had to have it.

There is absolutely no comparison between the CAT 3208N and the DDA or DDC 8V-71N. The CAT 3208N is a 636 cubic inch 4 stroke medium duty 'throw away' engine. It weighed app. 1220 lbs. The 8V-71 is a true heavy duty engine. It was 568 cubic inches. However, the 2-cycle Detroits have an 80% compensation factor. What this means is they are comparable to a 4-cycle engine with app. 80% greater displacement. This is why the competing engines against the 8V-71N were the then big block Cummins at 855 cubic inches (2,560 lbs.) (The small block was 743 cubic inches) and the CAT at 893 cubic inches (2,840 lbs.). The engine has replaceable liners and can therefore be inframed. It weighs app. 2400 lbs depending upon configuration. It ranged between 260 and 340 HP. The 318 HP version was the most common.

The 3208's competed against the 4-53, 6V-53, 4-71 & 6-71's. The CAT's were a cheap alternative since Detroit did not build throw away engines. Everything they built was heavy duty with replaceable liners. Even the 2-53N.

Although anything can be done, unless it is a toy it would be a problem. It weighs about 4 times what a big block gasser weighs. A 1 ton chassis would be grossly over matched. Also do not be mislead by the horsepower and torque ratings. They may seem on a par with a CTD but they are NOT! It's like a Quarter Horse vs a Clydesdale. Aside from the fact light duty trans would not even bolt up. It would destroy them within minutes. That engine uses an SAE #1 housing - period. It could be aluminum or it could be cast iron. On that engine the flywheel housing is the entire rear cover of the engine. Transmission wise you would be in the 700+ lb range. That engine requires a 1700 series driveline. It would snap anything less.

Now you need a rearend. That 1 ton rated rearend probably would not last a couple of days. The engine is classed with a 23,000 lb. rearend single screw and 34,000 lbs twin screw. This is one reason why this engine was never available in medium duty bobtail trucks like the IHC Loadstar's or the lower half of the S series. Ford's 450, 550, 650, 750 and 850 Series never used this engine. The L8000 only used the 3208N & T but could not handle the 8V-71N. With Ford you had to go to the L9000 to spec this engine.

Consider: Big block gas + tranny = what 750 -950 lbs.. DDC 8V-71N + tranny = 3000 lbs+. The engine is virtually square. It is app. 48" wide by 48" tall depending on housings. The only 'easy' way I could see to make it work would be to take an old tractor, remove the cab from the chassis then mount the pickup cab and box to the tractor chassis. To me that would be simple and it should be driveable.

Tractors running bobtail can be very dangerous. So unless you actually learn to drive a tractor, it is easy to get into trouble. A tractor is not a pickup. A 2 axle by law will have 300% braking capacity. Before someone attacks me I will explain: If the tractor has an old 23,000 lb rear axle it probably has a 12,000 lb front axle. The total or 35,000 lbs. is the GVW rating for that vehicle. The law then requires a braking system capable of stopping the vehicle within a specified distance. A little tractor like that would probably weigh around 10,000 lbs. Without a load the tractor can be sensitive to braking and it takes very little to lock the rear axle. I run mostly 2 axles and we have had some accidents over the years for just this reason.

If you are building a toy good luck. A daily driver, I would say no. Also, I would suggest staying with the 8V-71N as opposed to the 'T' version. The 'N' used 'Trunk' type (One piece) pistons while turbocharged Detroits use 'Crossheads' (Two piece). The crossheads are getting very expensive. With this engine you normally buy cylinder kits. The Trunk type will always be cheaper. DDC also plans to support the 2-cycles through 2050 when it feels the last ones will probably die so parts should not be a problem. Although we are having to order things that just a few years ago the dealer stocked.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:55 AM

the other thing i was thinking is if you're looking to make big horsepower for a toy truck then i'd also look elsewhere. These motors are definitely not powerhouses and never were. youre looking at 318 hp with a 8v71 if you ever fit it, and a lot more weight. if you put in an old 12v 5.9 you could turn it up to that easily without having to worry about replacing everything with tractor parts. even all of the 4 and 6 cyl detroits produce very little power for today's market. the 6v-71 only put out about 238 and I think the straight 6 was less - might have those reversed.
As the old quote goes... "Only GM could turn that much power into that much noise."