General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

obd III

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
obd III

OBD-III is in processing stage as a program to minimize the delay between the detection of an emissions malfunction by the OBD II system and the repair of the vehicle. This includes a reading of stored OBD II information from vehicles and the direction to owners of vehicles with fault codes to make immediate repairs.

In this concept, faults are registered by a monitoring unit and reported to appropriate authorities, and the vehicle owner is then instructed to get further testing and potential repairs.

The discussions over controlling vehicle emissions may soon move from what type of testing facilities and test methods are most effective to the complete on-board cycle of fault detection, notification and follow-up testing and repair being discussed in the OBD-III concept.

What types of technology can be used to detect and relay data pertaining to emissions malfunctions? Options include roadside readers, local station networks or satellites. Several issues of commercial operators, law enforcement, jurisdiction among state agencies, Intelligent Vehicle Highway Systems, etc., have to be addressed before OBD III is a reality.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oh no, I already don't like it. I don't need some third party telling me how/when to service my vehicle.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just another way for the government and big corporations to run OUR lives. Granted I am in the military, but I am not in to protect a government but a People. Government regulation is getting to be ridiculous. What next, they put a chip in us to regulate what we eat and when we eat, how much oxygen we use in a day, when we sleep? I guess I shouldn't put it past them.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:01 PM

Um, so if I don't have the money to fix my car, I can still use that as a excuse not to go to work. Wait, if I don't go to work because my car refuses to let me drive until its fixed, because I don't have money....that doesn't make sense!

Idiots.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Banned

Guys, don't turn this one political, or it will be closed.

As to the original question, I don't know what it would take onthe tech side to implement such a thing, or if it would be possible to impliment on existing vehicles, or just new ones.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:34 PM

Just to add to this a bit. BMW is going to start updating the vehicle computers via phone call to the computer. Not major things but some stuff. Most cars are already set up and ready to do this. What do you think OnStar is?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:38 PM

I dont see it so much in exisiting cars. Califonia tried a new way of road taxing a while back. not the whole state, just a few cars. When you filled up i only charged the fuel cost. A chip on the car read how many miles you had drivin and told the pump how many it was and it added on the tax then. Instead of a straight 40 cents per gallon or what not due to the fact that a big suv getting 10 mpg is paying more tax for same use as a car gettng 40 mpg.

Anyway. I could see something liket this being implimented. When you car gets a fault and you go to the pump all of your information is then sent to whomever and you get a notice in the mail and then if its not tixed by this time frame penalties will apply as well or something of that nature. Or higher registration for the next year since its not compliant

To go through and shut down your car because its not working i dont think would fly very well. Because there are people under financial burden. Take for example this form how many people do you think make their payments everymonth and dont have any burden at all?

Otherwise. I dont see it going off a sat or shutting down the car. GM pry could implement it right away with onstar. Ive wondered for a while if htey dont have a way of tracking new cars. who knows.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:18 PM

new hampshire can't get an emission testing system to work yet. I will be years before they get ODB III to work here.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kingofdodge7131
GM pry could implement it right away with onstar. Ive wondered for a while if htey dont have a way of tracking new cars. who knows.
I wanna say I read that GM could locate a stolen car with onstar. Had to have owners approval and such, but it was possible.

Could have been a dream, or a conspiracy theory though, so din't take that statment as gospel!
Old 09-15-2007, 03:57 PM

no they can. and they can give you instant gps like directions. its all kinds of fun NOT
Old 09-15-2007, 09:07 PM

In certian parts of NC cars with OBD II have to have the codes scaned when you take it in for the yearly inspection and if the check engine light is on or any codes are found it has to be fixed before you can get a new sticker. I haven't had a light on when I have had one inspected but I've been told that you can't even leave the inspection center till its fixed. That is only hear say because I haven't run into it yet. I do know that my father-in-law had a Ford Windstar that the check engine light came on at 32,000 and he drove it till it had 87,000 and never had it fixed. They live in SC and there is no inspection there right now.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:50 PM

just keep this in mind. any technology ever invented has a "companion technology" to beat it. mabe a future upgrade for smarty owners
Old 09-15-2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by biododge1
just keep this in mind. any technology ever invented has a "companion technology" to beat it. mabe a future upgrade for smarty owners
+1

5 minutes after the technology hits the road, there will be some way to beat it, just like with OBDII
Old 09-16-2007, 02:01 PM

Get this, I live in a province which has only one area that has air care laws, Vancouver and lower main land area. And where I live it is not illegal to remove the cat from your car or truck couse we have no air care law. Most muffler shops know how to turn off and keep the check engine light off after you remove the cat.

03 Qcab Sbox
Old 09-16-2007, 07:27 PM

Road side scanners to read data from our cars???!!! Very possible but it would cost billions of dollars to install those system all over the country and a massive infrastructure to support it. We probally wont see this in our lifetime. I could see a system where if you do not repair the CEL it will not let you run the car though.

Dont worry guys!

Quick Reply: obd III