General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

2006 Quad Cab w/ Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Quad Cab w/ Mercedes

While talking with a dealer over the weekend, he casually mentioned that the '06 Mega Cab that Dodge is producing will not have a Cummins, but instead a Mercedes Diesel.
Has anybody else heard this rumor? What's your opinion?
Old 04-17-2005, 10:08 PM

remind him that ford owns cummins next time you see him
Old 04-17-2005, 11:16 PM

Alot of talk comes from the dealers, some don't even know what they are talking about. I wont believe it until it is on the floor.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:43 PM

i notice that the people who start these things are newbies with 5 posts and no sig trying to stirr the pot
Old 04-17-2005, 11:46 PM

Where's Hoss? lol
Old 04-18-2005, 12:30 AM

I seem to remember thumbing through a "Mega Cab" tri-fold while sitting at my local dealers showroom and it showed the Cummins diesel as the optional engine.

Maybe in 07'
Old 04-18-2005, 05:55 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
That guy must have attended the same training seminar
as the "salesperson" that told shortround that Dodge
was coming out with a "Double-Overhead-Cam-Hemi-Diesel".
Old 04-18-2005, 10:17 AM

lol shovel that would be a trick
Old 04-18-2005, 11:36 AM

I was at a dealer in Des Moines this weekend. The guy actually admitted to me the he had only been there a month, and that I probably knew more about the truck than he did. He was right. I took his bid-nis card just for being honest with me.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Banned

Guys,

The new guy may know more than you think. I operate 4 25500GVW Sterling trucks all that have the ISB 5.9. They are all 2002 models and the Mercedes diesel was the standard engine. I had to request the Cummins. We were looking to add another truck just before the new EGR law went into effect, but we opted not to because Daimler Chrysler no longer offered Cummins engines in Sterling trucks because they own Mercedes and Detroit Diesel. DC owns Freightliner, Sterling, Western Star, Detroit Diesel, and Fuso. They are also partnered with Mitsubishi in some way.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ultimately do away with the Cummins from the Dodge Ram line, but think of the customer base they would lose.

Now as far as HorseHaulers comment click below....

http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/p...0880C4A8F00000
Old 04-18-2005, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been there done that.

Hand of God I had a dealer salesman tell me all about the new "Hemi Diesel" that was going to be in the new Rams. this was the winter of '03.

Brutal.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:18 PM

The Cummins contract with DC runs through 2007... you won't see a Mercedes diesel in a Dodge Ram until that contract expires.

The Mega Cab has already been at the auto shows with the Cummins powerplant....
Old 04-18-2005, 07:54 PM

I remember back in '94 when I was about to buy my first Cummins powered Ram, the salesman told me the Cummins was a V-10! I got my '95 for $24,400 loaded so I wasn't going to correct him. My decision to go from a Ford 300 I6 gasser to the Dodge Cummins was to stay with the strong inline six. Shame Ford did away with that enigne. But a Hemi diesel? Don't the 610s have a kind of a hemispherical combustion chamber?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:31 PM

i know ford doesn't own cummins.... just a joke, been a joke for years.... i said that because there are dealers out there that still tell you that ford does own cummins... mostly ford dealers say it...
Old 04-18-2005, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by smokindog
We were looking to add another truck just before the new EGR law went into effect, but we opted not to because Daimler Chrysler no longer offered Cummins engines in Sterling trucks because they own Mercedes and Detroit Diesel. DC owns Freightliner, Sterling, Western Star, Detroit Diesel, and Fuso. They are also partnered with Mitsubishi in some way.

]
I'm pretty sure Detroit Diesel is owned by Roger Penske NOT DC.

Penske looking to invest in $1-billion industries
Detroit Free Press
June 10, 1997
By Charlotte W. Craig
Roger Penske, like some of the race drivers who work for him, appears ready to shift gears and make a major move on the rest of the automotive world. It's just not clear yet where he's headed.
Penske announced Monday the formation of Penske Capital Partners -- an investment pool with plans to buy industrial companies worth as much as $1 billion, starting perhaps as soon as the next few months.

What kind of industrial companies? That remains to be seen.

Auto supplier industry analyst Marc Santucci of East Lansing said Penske could choose to buy anything from machine tool manufacturers to die makers to auto parts makers.

"Their thinking is fairly broad," he said. "The original-equipment market is fairly well saturated, but Penske probably would be buying existing companies."

Sources close to Penske say the targets could be auto or truck parts makers, distribution companies or firms that lease fleets of trucks.

Penske Capital is starting out as a joint venture with Chase Capital Partners, an arm of Chase Manhattan Corp. But additional investors might be brought in, according to sources, to build a kitty of $300 million to $400 million in equity capital.

President and chief executive officer of Penske Capital will be James Hislop, an 18-year veteran of Merrill Lynch, where he is managing director in the company's investment banking group. Hislop will be based in New York but will maintain offices in Detroit.

Formation of the capital group means Penske Corp. now is the parent for nine subsidiaries with combined annual revenues of more than $6 billion and more than 25,000 employees worldwide:

Penske Motorsports, which owns three racetracks and controlling interest in a fourth.

Penske Auto Centers at 875 Kmart stores.

Penske Automotive Group, 10 dealerships in southern California.

Detroit Diesel, maker of truck engines.

Diesel Technology, a Grand Rapids-based joint venture with Robert Bosch that makes electronic fuel injectors for Detroit Diesel, Mercedes, Volvo and other customers.

VM Motori, an Italian maker of passenger car engines.

Kuhnle Kopp & Kausch, a German maker of turbochargers.

Penske Truck Leasing, which rents individual trucks and entire fleets, complete with support services.

Quick Reply: 2006 Quad Cab w/ Mercedes