Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Why they raise gas/fuel prices at the drop of a hat

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a commissioned gas station. I get .12 a gallon no matter what the price. I am TOLD by the distributor what prices to put on the pole every day.

If you think a station is high, go somewhere else or walk, simple really.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:38 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skargo

If you think a station is high, go somewhere else or walk, simple really.
.....and I DO.

To add to that, as a small business owner I wouldn't feel the slightest bit of sympathy if I drove by and saw the consistently higher priced stations boarded up with the pumps removed.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
.....and I DO.

To add to that, as a small business owner I wouldn't feel the slightest bit of sympathy if I drove by and saw the consistently higher priced stations boarded up with the pumps removed.
Sounds like you are blaming the station owners to me.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:26 PM
P.J
Banned

Sounds like you are blaming the station owners to me.
Yes, I am. As a consumer should be able to to do.

For instance, if I were an owner and I saw the other 5 stations in town selling fuel $.20 a gallon cheaper than me I would find a new supplier.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Yes, I am. As a consumer should be able to to do.

For instance, if I were an owner and I saw the other 5 stations in town selling fuel $.20 a gallon cheaper than me I would find a new supplier.
Good thing my station is usually lower than the others.

I thought you were a business owner, ever heard of contracts?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:27 PM
P.J
Banned

Good thing my station is usually lower than the others.

I thought you were a business owner, ever heard of contracts?
Sure, and I've heard of negotiating them so I can be profitable AND competitive within my market too.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Sure, and I've heard of negotiating them so I can be profitable AND competitive within my market too.
Well I imagine people are stuck with their suppliers, they can't just up and go with someone else. The minimum contract I can get is 2 years. If I were ignorant enough to break it, I would be sued silly!

My whole point is don't be a sheep and blame the station owner, most don't make half of what I make per gallon.

Out of curiosity, what do you do?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:07 PM
P.J
Banned

Well I imagine people are stuck with their suppliers, they can't just up and go with someone else. The minimum contract I can get is 2 years. If I were ignorant enough to break it, I would be sued silly!

My whole point is don't be a sheep and blame the station owner, most don't make half of what I make per gallon.

Out of curiosity, what do you do?
Ha, just noticed you were from here, I wouldn't have been breaking your nads if I had notice earlier.

I own an abrasive blasting company. Supposed to be a Real Estate Appraiser, but that career has come to a screeching halt in the last 6 months. Never (EVER) thought I would be this dead in the water. Luckily, I have grown the other business into a full time living, otherwise I'd be working a 9-5 by now.

I assume by "Hazzard" you are referring to Ceciltucky? Let me know where your station is at, I'll be sure to donate to the cause when I get a chance with a $125.00 fill up
Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
Ha, just noticed you were from here, I wouldn't have been breaking your nads if I had notice earlier.

I own an abrasive blasting company. Supposed to be a Real Estate Appraiser, but that career has come to a screeching halt in the last 6 months. Never (EVER) thought I would be this dead in the water. Luckily, I have grown the other business into a full time living, otherwise I'd be working a 9-5 by now.

I assume by "Hazzard" you are referring to Ceciltucky? Let me know where your station is at, I'll be sure to donate to the cause when I get a chance with a $125.00 fill up
Actually I live in Harford county

Do you do soda blasting?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:33 PM
P.J
Banned

Actually I live in Harford county

Do you do soda blasting?
If I had a dollar for every person that asked me THAT question!

No, I don't. The equipment itself isn't all that expensive, less than what I have into a conventional set up. A month or so ago I could have had a 100lb soda blaster mounted on the tongue of a 185cfm compressor for under $10K (compressor worth that much new).

I have a product that is similar in size to soda bicarbonate, it doesn't offer the temporary anti-corrision properties soda does, but does the same job.
Only other difference is dust, with soda you can inject water right at the nozzle, if I do that we'd have a rusty mess.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
If I had a dollar for every person that asked me THAT question!

No, I don't. The equipment itself isn't all that expensive, less than what I have into a conventional set up. A month or so ago I could have had a 100lb soda blaster mounted on the tongue of a 185cfm compressor for under $10K (compressor worth that much new).

I have a product that is similar in size to soda bicarbonate, it doesn't offer the temporary anti-corrision properties soda does, but does the same job.
Only other difference is dust, with soda you can inject water right at the nozzle, if I do that we'd have a rusty mess.
Sounds cool, do you blast mainly vehicles for restoration?
Old 10-01-2008, 03:01 PM
P.J
Banned

Sounds cool, do you blast mainly vehicles for restoration?
Nah, mainly industrial/commercial work. I have two main customers that keep us fairly busy. I've done some farm implements, lots of trailers, some ornamental railings and gates, some steel boats, etc. Mostly though, we do the same parts over and over again, hundreds of times a year. One place sends us between 8-16 a week, the other we do one (big) part about every week or two.

Try to stay with the bigger stuff if I can.

Getting ready to force myself into some small time priming and painting. I've lost a considerable amount of work over not having the room (clean enough) to spray. I'm working that side of the business very soon here.

48 footer:

Maryland DNR truck.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:38 PM

Pretty darn cool, if I ever need anything blasted I'll certainly look you up.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:30 PM
P.J
Banned

Pretty darn cool, if I ever need anything blasted I'll certainly look you up.
I'm easy to find, easy to work with and very reasonable. I encourage people with trailers and other small stuff to just stand back and watch rather than dropping it off to be done.

Keeps everyone happy and satisfied with how long it takes ($) and also gives them an opportunity to see how brutal it would have been with a 50 lb. Harbor Freight siphon pot.