Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Who would consider Biodiesel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redbeast
I'm extremely interested in Biodiesel. But it's not very avalible in east texas. I would love to check it out seeing that Ultra low is only good for killing VP44's.

Does anyone have the same feeling about Biodiesel?
I ran B20 for about a month. Didn't really notice a difference except that it was slightly more expensive. The station I bought it at is no longer on my way home so I quit using it.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Only when it's the same price as dead dinosaur juice...
Old 04-03-2007, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for a while last summer in the Portland area, it was cheaper. It is more expensive now, but the differential is getting less every day.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't anything over B-20 void the warranty??
Old 04-04-2007, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used to run B99 every once in a while. But the business moved further into Houston so it's not worth the trip.

MikeyB
Old 04-08-2007, 11:09 AM

I used roughly 15 to 20 tankfuls of the B20 blend and really liked the way the truck performed with it,but the place I was getting it at stopped handling it and did not give me a reason why. I suspect it was something to do with the ban Texas is trying to put on biodiesel claiming the NOx emissions were higher using bio. I think it's a crock.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...hlight=bio+ban

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...hlight=bio+ban

Tony
Old 04-08-2007, 09:08 PM

I suspect it was something to do with the ban Texas is trying to put on biodiesel claiming the NOx emissions were higher using bio. I think it's a crock.
Texas is oil country.. Try to grow a soybean in Saudi Arabia, you'll get the same result..
Old 05-02-2007, 04:58 PM

We run B99 or B100 in the summer time. And B50 in the winter, the more you burn the better it is for everyone. If you can attempt to purchase your biodiesel locally. My business processes the veggie oil and sells it to biodiesel producers and then we purchase the biodiesel back and sell it to local business and clients. Most of the money stays in our local community.

They call that a win win.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive been running bio for awhile now and I dont really notice any difference except the smell. Its a great alternative, however youre still chained to a petro product - methanol.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the process of making my own. I see nothing wrong with it other than its lower gell point. The Texas ban is all about how to tax it and make money for the state, they could care less about emissions.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:18 AM

for those of you who make your own BIO, i have seen many "home refineries" and i know you can even make your own but where do you get the oil? I am reluctant to to fast food joints and ask for their fry oil and would rather find a source where i can get it by the 55 gallon drums.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:53 AM

you can buy soy oil in bulk but youre still looking at prices above what diesel costs.
If you get oil from a restaurant you want a low titration number. Avoid the ones that use really junky hydrogenated oil or have long change intervals. Ive got a restaurant that gives me really clean oil.. its almost a shame to make bio out of it. Any place you eat a lot, just ask the manager about taking on their waste oil disposal needs. Theyre usually fine with it as long as youre regular in picking it up.
Ive got some places that dont want to use the original containers so I provide a 55gal drum with a funnel and enclose it in a plywood box so it looks neat. Then just go around and pump it into something on the truck. Those harbor freight fill-rite pumps are good for this, or you can get an impeller type with less suction but a lot more volume.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:58 PM

Anyone know whay Dodge has not yet Ok'ed the use of B20 like Cummins did? I asked dmy local Dodge SM and they said as far as they know Dodge has not yet approved the use of B20 in our engines for those who still have a warranty that is.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:37 PM

Theres a lot of expensive testing that goes into being able to guarantee a motor and fuel system to run on a fuel, never mind the problems with such a wide variation in fuel quality. biodiesel is still kind of young so the auto and fuels industries havent really caught up.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:20 PM

Any diesel powered pickup on the road today can SAFELY run up to a 20% mixture (B-20) of biodiesel with NO MODIFICATIONS NEEDED WHATSOEVER. If it's available near you and you know about the hazards of the new low sulfur diesel being sold today, WHY WOULDN'T YOU BE ADDING THIS TO YOUR TANK???

Some of you guys from farm states probably has someone around who's brewing up biodiesel there on the farm. Anywhere grain crops are grown is a prime place to be brewing up your own biodiesel, if you can't find somewhere that sells it retail there locally. While the price is higher than dino-diesel here too, at least my money is supporting American farmers, a cleaner environment etc, etc. Listed below are some websites that list every location where biodiesel is available in the US. If it isn't available, there's getting to be more and more locations that sell the stuff that makes my Dodge Cummins smell like there's french fries cooking up.
Bumper sticker on my old 93 CTD: This truck is a vegetarian and runs on BIODIESEL

To find a biodiesel retailer near you see: http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...lfuelingsites/
To find truck accessible biodiesel pumps near you see: http://www.biotrucker.com/sites/default.asp
For more info see: http://www.biodiesel.org/

Quick Reply: Who would consider Biodiesel?