Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

veg oil update..

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't trying to imply that it was and that Diesel chose not to use it, I just mean that if SVO was as bad as people make it out to be I doubt his engines would have been the successes that they were. Also, with making your own biodiesel there are potential problems. If you don't remove all the glycerine, or wash thoroughly, you could have problems-just like if you take shortcuts with SVO.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Glycerol??

Originally Posted by infidel
If you have ever seen the gross filthy waste product from making BD from WVO you will wonder why anyone even considered running it though a $10,000 engine.
Are you speaking of the Glycerol created by making Biodiesel? Actually there isn't any free form of glycerin in WVO; it is created by the chemical reactions of making bio-d. Glycerol is first "created" and then separated out, but it doesn’t exist separately in WVO where it can be simply filtered out. The molecules themselves must change; a chemical reaction needs to take place which causes the changes.

On a second note; There seems to be some thought that it is OK to run WVO without heating it. It has been my experience that WVO must be heated before injection, even when it is blended with diesel. I have tried different cold blend ratios up to 25%WVO/75%Diesel in my Lister engine. It would begin to carbon up almost immediately. I have put several hundred hours on this unit running straight filtered, dewatered, heated WVO with no carbon buildup. It is started and shutdown on diesel using only heated WVO in the interim.

I hope this clears up some of the misconceptions about running WVO.
Ken Gardner