Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Question about WVO.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about WVO.

I just bought a turkey fryer kit, which has all the implements except the oil. I understand that you can use the oil more than once, and I will, since it costs about $6 a gallon. One of my wife's big objections to this purchase is that we have no place to dispose of the waste oil.

My big idea is to let it cool down, filter it and run it in my Cummins 12V.

First--is there any kind of oil I should stay away from if I am going to dispose of it thru my truck?

Second--how fine a filter do i need to pass it thru? 2 microns? 5? 10?

Finally--How much can i put in the truck at a time without causing any problems? Note: I will only be doing this in the summer months.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:12 AM

None .
Any problems .
Bio diesel is OK , but WVO is a hole other thing , many people are doing it , but it is a much bigger process than what it appears you are thinking .
From what I have gathered [ a lot of studies , info ] , it can work on a short term only [ and that with more effort then some are giving ] some do well and it takes longer before issue's show .
But for the long term [ life of these engines - 500,000 + ] , there is too much info showing that just WVO is a poor choice for fuel , but good for making bio-diesel .
Old 07-27-2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by John Faughn
None .
Any problems .
Bio diesel is OK , but WVO is a hole other thing , many people are doing it , but it is a much bigger process than what it appears you are thinking .
From what I have gathered [ a lot of studies , info ] , it can work on a short term only [ and that with more effort then some are giving ] some do well and it takes longer before issue's show .
But for the long term [ life of these engines - 500,000 + ] , there is too much info showing that just WVO is a poor choice for fuel , but good for making bio-diesel .
I was just thinking about running maybe 5-10 gallons a year as an additive to my regular fuel, more to get rid of it than anything else. Still not a good idea even in those small amounts?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 AM

Any amount of gum = triglycerides [ what is taken out of WVO , as part of the process of making bio-diesel ] is not good .
Old 07-27-2009, 01:12 PM

Smile

Okay. Message received. Thanks, and don't tell my wife!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 AM

WVO works good

There are good, safe ways to run WVO as a fuel. A heated two tank setup is the best in my opinion. I have been doing it for years now. Here is a good place to look for answers on how to do it.
http://www.frybrid.com/resources.htm
Ken
Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 AM

If it is used correctly , a 2 tank system will run the engine longer with out issue's , but the same issue's are there , and accumulate .
For the long term WVO is not good for fuel in these engines .
Old 09-28-2009, 11:01 PM

Iv been researching WVO as fuel for the last two years now. Frybrid is an incredible site. The 12v >98.5 are the best candidates for WVO conversion. And these engines will run forever on WVO if you clean and filter the oil right and make sure its free of water and heated to 160* before it hits the injection pump. Oh and a two tank system is a must. Do your research and don't get discouraged. Remember there are alot of people who don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to WVO.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:32 AM

You could always blend the WVO with diesel. I have a sock filter that is a 5micron inner with 1micron outer from McMaster.com. Just mix the two together about 50/50 and then pour throught the filter sock. Then I have a pump with a 5micron water separator before it goes into a tank.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're only doing it occasionally, it won't cause any problems. If you're just trying to get rid of a couple gallons of wvo, first just make sure it's clear, non-hydrogenated oil (not creamy shortening mixed in). If you have a pump with a filter, then run it through the filter (5 microns is good). A dewatering filter is highly recommended. Goldenrod makes one for about $20 from Northern Tool. I think it also filters down to 15 microns. If you don't have a pump then get a Mr. Funnel or other type of filtered funnel and pour it through that a couple of times. Just let the veg oil sit for a week or so to let everything settle to the bottom. Then be careful when you pour it out not to pour all the crud left on the bottom. You can run it at 5%-10% in the summer with no problems. Those old 12 valves are pretty tolerable. You will probably have to change your fuel filter if you run several tankfuls at 10% because the wvo is a very good solvent and it will break loose a lot of crud sitting on the walls of your fuel tank. I've been doing this for several years. A school bus system nearby did just what I described above on some of their buses as an experiment and did not report having any problems. You don't need to invest $1000 or more in a system just to get rid of some used turkey fryer oil occasionally. Good luck with it.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 AM

Do it right

Originally Posted by Deadbunny
... Oh and a two tank system is a must. Do your research and don't get discouraged. Remember there are alot of people who don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to WVO.
So true. However a lesson I learned the expensive way; Keep close watch on the engine oil. It will polymerize (Turn to crud) a LOT sooner when running WVO.
Secondly; It is my opinion, and experence, that blending WVO but not heating it before injecting it into the engine is at best a risky adventure.
Ken Gardner
Old 01-10-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by akghound
So true. However a lesson I learned the expensive way; Keep close watch on the engine oil. It will polymerize (Turn to crud) a LOT sooner when running WVO.
Secondly; It is my opinion, and experence, that blending WVO but not heating it before injecting it into the engine is at best a risky adventure.
Ken Gardner
To run WVO you have to do it right (two tanksystem)- the oil must be heated to a minimum of 160F (180 or 200 even better) and the engine needs to be at full operating temperatures (piston/cylinder surface temperatures in excess of 600F). You must start on diesel switch over to WVO then fully purge out the WVO before shutting down. This requires a full blown two tank system w/ sixway valve, multiple heaters, controller, etc.

Just dumping in even small amounts of WVO in your tank will tear up your engine. When WVO is injected & the engine is cold, it will coke on the surfaces (injector tips, pistons, clinders, etc.). This coke is very abrasive! Also, w/o the purge the WVO will polymerize & gunk up your entire fuel system.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:27 PM

Actually the hydrogenated (used) stuff can be safer. The non hydrogenated oils are the ones that more readily chemically change to polymers and really foul thing up but good. http://journeytoforever.org/biodiese...tml#highiodine

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about small amounts, but as you can see you ask ten people and you get ten answers.

What scares me when I hear the dump and drive method is that you may have excessive free fatty acids in the oil, which can cause NASTY corrosion on internal components. Especially if it sits for a while.

Personally I'd be tempted to titrate any wvo, and use the titration ffe removal method if it came out acidic. But then I would be really hesitant to run wvo in a direct injected engine anyhow.

Read this section, and check out the site. You'll get more reliable answers than on a forum IMO. http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#deacid Besides it's not REALLY that hard to make it into bio in your garage with a blender, a couple buckets and some white gas and lye. Most the time is in studying up.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off check with your local government trash collection etc. and see if they have a disposal program. In my part of Florida, they run the amnesty days every so often for hazardous material. Next possibility would be to put it in used motor oil containers and take it to your auto parts store for disposal. Here again that works in my part of Florida.

I run mine from the cooking pot while it's still warm ( you can hold the pot without burning your hands ) back into the 5 gallon container to a large funnel with an old T-shirt stretched over it, gets out to crud. Then I let it sit for about two months with the container slightly tilted. At that point I siphoned off all but the last half inch. From there I run it through a coffee filter very slow process and then dump it in my truck. That last half-inch I put in the 1 gallon cans in either take it to the auto parts store or use it as a fire accelerant in a burn barrel.
Good luck, Mike
Old 01-14-2011, 10:44 PM

Just thought I would add to this. 4 plus years of running wvo I would say do not add to your tank in any amount I found that it will separate out and you will collect straight veg on the bottom until it starts to get picked up then it will clog your filter. I run a return bypass to stop any veg from going to diesel tank now.

Quick Reply: Question about WVO.