Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

hydrogen generator Better MPG anyone tried!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hydrogen generator Better MPG anyone tried!!

http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/hydro...ators-cars.htm This web site has all kinds of links on how it works. They claim you can see 20% to 50% mpg improvement. Just curious if anyone has tried on our trucks I think i am going to.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Mclair
http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/hydro...ators-cars.htm This web site has all kinds of links on how it works. They claim you can see 20% to 50% mpg improvement. Just curious if anyone has tried on our trucks I think i am going to.
it didn't work on my dakota due to 02 sensor, i have to figure out how to disable it
Old 05-17-2008, 10:14 AM

What kind of gain did you see from your dakota once you disabled the o2 sensor? I read that turbo diesel is even better because of the vacume the turbo makes? This is got me interested and I think I am going to try to make one for sure.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres a link on there for light trucks that seems interesting pricey though.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a CD all about how to make a hydrogen generator and how they work. If anyone would like give me your email and i will zip the file off the CD and email it to whoever.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:16 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

There is a lot of info on that subject here.click here
Old 05-17-2008, 09:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Mclair
What kind of gain did you see from your dakota once you disabled the o2 sensor? I read that turbo diesel is even better because of the vacume the turbo makes? This is got me interested and I think I am going to try to make one for sure.
i haven't done it yet ,but some day
Old 05-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Muted User

I bought one back in January for the wife's Z71. When I was home last R&R I installed it in the truck. I didn't notice any gains, but I think I know why.

In order to produce the hydrogen, you have to mix regular water with an agent, in my case potassium hydroxide. This mixture is poured into the hydrogen generator where it is heated. The problem is that you have to have just the right proportions of water to KHO. This is guesstimated by the amp gauge on the system. Anything over 30 amps is not good. If you have to refill it every fill up, then you will have to tinker and play around to get the right mixture in there. Not convenient for just gassing up and going.

The other problem is that the system is powered off of the vehicle electronics, specifically the alternator. To get enough power to the hydrogen generator, you have to put a huge (30-amp max) load on the alternator, in addition to all the other electronics on the vehicle. For some reason GM put a 105 amp alternator on the wife's '03. So, now your alternator has a constant load on it which means you're either going to bur up your alternator quicker or you're engine is going to have to work harder to create that power.

In my experience, I saw a mileage drop with the generator. I think this was a combination of a low output alternator that was bogging the system down, and an inability to get the KHO mixture correct. Once I get home, I may install the unit in my 1st Gen and see if there's any measurable difference.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry guys, it doesn't work physically or chemically. Pie in the sky. You are just giving someone your money. Cool sounding BS.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:44 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Every scientific test I have reviewed...not that I am actually qualified to review the studies, but anyhow.....have shown that it is a parasitic gain. The gain you get from using the current vehicles systems to generate the hydrogen is used up and them some. Basically.....it takes more energy to produce the hydrogen than you will gain. Like annabelle said.......sounds good in theory!
Old 05-18-2008, 01:54 AM
Muted User

Originally Posted by vzdude
The gain you get from using the current vehicles systems to generate the hydrogen is used up and them some. Basically.....it takes more energy to produce the hydrogen than you will gain.
Yep which equated to a net mileage decrease in my experiment. Fortunately I'm only out a couple hundred bucks.

On the plus side though, it does create hydrogen gas which is real fun to play with during fireworks season and can make a big boom.