Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel

Not that i'm planning on doing this or anything but what would happen if you put kerosene or fuel oil or something like that in a cummins?
Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tedonlin150
Not that i'm planning on doing this or anything but what would happen if you put kerosene or fuel oil or something like that in a cummins?
Your truck would run on it, but with a little less power and fuel economy. Kerosene doesn't have as much stored energy as #2 Diesel. K-1 heating oil and #1 Diesel are very similar; a lot of winterized Diesel is 1/2 K-1 and 1/2 #2 Diesel.

Nick
Old 02-18-2008, 06:55 AM

He's right, I always keep a 5 gal can of kerosene handy in wintertime.

When temps drop a lot I usually dump it in a full tank to be sure it won't gel, even if I use winter blends.
Also I have a skidsteer loader and it is not as "protected" as the truck, it will gel easier. A couple of gallons of kerosene keeps it going strong.

Last year I filled at a station which was supposed to be winter blend. Well guess what ? Thank godness for kerosene at my house.

In theory you could use gasoline also, it is very hard on your IP since it removes lubrication, but a very small percentage of it will help thinning diesel fuel if you are in a bind, but I wouldn't suggest it to anybody unless you know what you are doing.
Older non direct injection diesels will accept it better

Where are you from in MN ?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:57 AM

Off-road it would run, on-road your truck would spontaneously combust.