Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Diesel to natural gas conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember a Pulling Tractor at Twin Creek Tractor Pulls here in Ontario back in the 90's called "Bad Medicine".

They took a V8 Caterpillar diesel & converted it to run on alcohol. The thing was wild! Full pulls everytime & appartantly on less than 20psi boost, while the diesel smokers were running over 60psi. And no smoke!

They did the same type of thing. Head work with spark plugs, ignition system, etc.

John Good
Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
Natural gas is about 1000 BTUs per cubic foot while #2 diesel is 139,000 BTUs per gallon. 1 cf = 7.48 gallons so one gallon of natural gas is only about 7500 BTUs
So #2 has about 18 times more BTUs per gallon than NG
infidel,

That's the conversion for 1 cu ft of liquid, not 1 cu ft of gas. I don't know how many cu ft of gas makes one gallon of liquid. After that conversion the liquid to gallons conversion would make sense.

John
Old 04-06-2008, 12:01 AM

you can take a diesel and run it on diesel for pilot injection and NG for for main injection and no spark plugs. with the price of diesel now, it could be a good thing. of course the fuel has to be in Liquid state. CNG takes up to much space.
Cummins/Westport does these conversion and are being place in Kenworths in the ISX, check out the site.

http://www.westport.com/
Old 04-10-2008, 10:52 PM

You can run cng with diesel, Questar gas does it in UT. A truck driver filling a Questar big rig next to my f150 a few months ago said they run it at 80 percent diesel and 20 percent cng, he also said it gives it about 100 more hp. Oh yea I'm paying .63 agge here in UT for my f150
Old 04-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by sixb
Oh yea I'm paying .63 agge here in UT for my f150
So tell me...Are you paying .63 per gal in UT??
Old 04-10-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
So tell me...Are you paying .63 per gal in UT??
Ok, I'm paying .63 agge in UT
Old 04-10-2008, 11:28 PM
I think I can... I think...

Ok, I'm paying .63 agge in UT
Do you get it from Questar??
Old 04-11-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
Do you get it from Questar??
Yes, there are five stations within about 10 miles of me. Also you can put a home fueling unit that the feds. will help pay for, and also they will help pay for some conversions. There is some good info. on cngchat.com
Old 04-11-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by taildragger
Whats the BTU content of the nat. gas when compared to diesel (something to think about, diesel will have much more)
I don't know the btu but cng at our pumps is 130 octane.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:31 AM

You can run cng with diesel, Questar gas does it in UT. A truck driver filling a Questar big rig next to my f150 a few months ago said they run it at 80 percent diesel and 20 percent cng, he also said it gives it about 100 more hp. Oh yea I'm paying .63 agge here in UT for my f150
So is this a CNG injected diesel or something?? sparkplugs and injectors?? Id like to find some info on this.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by logskidder
So is this a CNG injected diesel or something?? sparkplugs and injectors?? Id like to find some info on this.
From what I understand, it is pilot ignition. The diesel ignites as always and that simultaneously ignites the gas. I read that you could run on 20% diesel. If CNG is as good for the engine as propane was then our engines should last forever. We had 3 propane tractors and a big flatbed international hay hauler when I was a kid that outlasted every vehicle on the farm. That hauler stayed on the road delivering hay to several race tracks across the south. I was always told that propane was the best fuel for longevity of any engine. I would think that it would be a lot simpler to get an old gasser and convert to CNG than a diesel conversion however.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:37 AM

I don't get the chance to visit much these days, I'm involved in a new natural gas field and when I've checked in, don't see much I can add.

I can contribute here though, back in the mid 90's I was on the management team of a major natural gas company that sold cng conversions and filling stations.

A few facts:

NG is sold (usually) in 1,000 cubic foot units or, MCFs. The marketing norm for a cu ft of NG is 1,000 btu's, so 1 MCF has 1,000,000 btu's, equals just over 7 gals. equivalent of diesel.

If you pay $10 per MCF at your house for NG, and had a home fueling station such as a FuelMaker out of Canada, then you have $1.42 per gallon fuel.

And yes, most diesel conversions use the diesel as a pilot fuel, NG is injected into the intake air stream, just like propane,and the diesel compresses and lights off the NG.

Lot's more to the subject, suggest Google for those with NG at the house.

I haven't been involved in a long time, but it usually requires huge tax breaks to get a reasonable payback on a conversion with a home slow fill station. BUT those tax incentives are there.

Good luck, RJR
Old 08-11-2009, 11:23 PM

Hi guys,
I found this thread through a Google search...

In regards to the safety issue of tanks you guys might dig this video I found...
http://www.natruell.com/safety.html
Old 08-11-2009, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wasnt there a truck in dieselpower mags challenge that used a cng/ diesel setup? Im thinkin it was a dmax though.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Not to mention people don't like having 2000 psi bullets in the vehicle for the fuel cells. Propane got a bad rap at 200 psi!!!

If you want to compare diesel power to Natural Gas, just take a look on the Caterpillar website as they make the same model engines in NG or diesel. Usually the Diesel can provide a good 75% more power than the NG equivalent.

none of those Nat gas Cats are road engines though. NG are usually generators or as you know compressor stations that burn what they're pumping.

Quick Reply: Diesel to natural gas conversion