Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/fuels-biodiesel-diesel-prices-110/)
-   -   Diesel to natural gas conversion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/fuels-biodiesel-diesel-prices-110/diesel-natural-gas-conversion-199182/)

USMC64-70 04-01-2008 04:12 PM

Diesel to natural gas conversion

Has anyone tried this or have ino and prices to do it? Many cities mow run there buses on natural gas. These were most likely diesel engines.

Wonder if they will run on both, nat gas when not owing, diesel for towing?

Nat gas is way cheaper than diesel, about .95/gallon.

logskidder 04-01-2008 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by USMC64-70 (Post 2023510)
Has anyone tried this or have ino and prices to do it? Many cities mow run there buses on natural gas. These were most likely diesel engines.

I have converted many B and C series cummins over to CNG.........you cant do CNG/Diesel, however you can have a CNG/Gasoline that when it runs out of nat gas it switches over to gasoline.

taildragger 04-01-2008 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by USMC64-70 (Post 2023510)

Whats the BTU content of the nat. gas when compared to diesel (something to think about, diesel will have much more)

USMC64-70 04-01-2008 04:55 PM

Diesel to nat gas

Logskidder

Any idea what the conversion costs? Just a ballpark number.

Kenny D 04-01-2008 05:00 PM

http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/pdfs/6-4.pdf

hope that link works ita about a 5.9 liter cummins produced engine im pretty sure cummins makes quite a few propane powerd diesel based engines like yall said the city busses and allot of Masive generators are using LP

heres another cool propane website

http://www.alternatefuelsracing.com/

logskidder 04-01-2008 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by USMC64-70 (Post 2023559)
Logskidder

Any idea what the conversion costs? Just a ballpark number.

The B series with a 4 tank system for something like a small bus is about $15,000.

logskidder 04-01-2008 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by taildragger (Post 2023548)
Whats the BTU content of the nat. gas when compared to diesel (something to think about, diesel will have much more)

Not sure about BTU but the seat of the pants power and MPG are very close,the diesel feel a wee bit stronger on the bottom but the CNG rev a little faster. The main thing is CNG cost 90 cents a gallon.

infidel 04-02-2008 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by taildragger (Post 2023548)

Natural gas is about 1000 BTUs per cubic foot while #2 diesel is 139,000 BTUs per gallon. 1 cf = 7.48 gallons so one gallon of natural gas is only about 7500 BTUs
So #2 has about 18 times more BTUs per gallon than NG

John Faughn 04-02-2008 10:46 AM

I think that there are some missing aspects of this post .
Running a diesel off natural gas ?
Adding natural gas , propane , hydrogen to help a diesel run ?
I know a gasser can fun off gas vs gasoline .
But I have not heard of a diesel able to run off of a gas / no diesel - or other oil .

logskidder 04-02-2008 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by John Faughn (Post 2024694)
I think that there are some missing aspects of this post .
Running a diesel off natural gas ?
Adding natural gas , propane , hydrogen to help a diesel run ?
I know a gasser can fun off gas vs gasoline .
But I have not heard of a diesel able to run off of a gas / no diesel - or other oil .

To convert a diesel over to to LNG or CNG it can never run on diesel again unless converted back diesel....different type of head/pistons/cam/electronics/fuel system

USMC64-70 04-02-2008 12:27 PM

It sounds like this idea to reduce fuel costs is not viable. $10k - $15k for a conversion, you can buy a lot of diesel for that price.

Sounds like a gasoline engine is much easier to run both fuels.

John Faughn 04-02-2008 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by logskidder (Post 2024748)
To convert a diesel over to to LNG or CNG it can never run on diesel again unless converted back diesel....different type of head/pistons/cam/electronics/fuel system

I would say that its still wrong , its not a diesel engine any more , just using some existing parts to make a different eng.

logskidder 04-02-2008 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by John Faughn (Post 2024853)
I would say that its still wrong , its not a diesel engine any more , just using some existing parts to make a different eng.

Your right its not a diesel anymore...the only things that get reused are the block/crank/rods/timing cover/oil pump/oil pan

logskidder 04-02-2008 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by USMC64-70 (Post 2024840)
It sounds like this idea to reduce fuel costs is not viable. $10k - $15k for a conversion, you can buy a lot of diesel for that price.

Sounds like a gasoline engine is much easier to run both fuels.

For most people its not worth it.....and a full load of CNG will only go about 300 miles.

Lil Dog 04-02-2008 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by logskidder (Post 2024890)
For most people its not worth it.....and a full load of CNG will only go about 300 miles.

Not to mention people don't like having 2000 psi bullets in the vehicle for the fuel cells. Propane got a bad rap at 200 psi!!!

If you want to compare diesel power to Natural Gas, just take a look on the Caterpillar website as they make the same model engines in NG or diesel. Usually the Diesel can provide a good 75% more power than the NG equivalent.