Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

diesel hits $5.00 a gallon!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:56 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gorms
As much as this stinks paying over $5 a gallon (its a little cheaper here, 4.69 at the cheapest), I get a little frustrated when people are dissapointed because they can't buy a nice TV or go out to eat every night, or go for a useless drive whenever they want. I'm not one to talk, two years ago we would drive 1000 miles while on vacation just see the sights, buy nice (but really not necessary) things for the car/truck/bike/toy etc. We order take out once a month instead of twice a week. Now we have had to cut back, and if we go on vacation we go camping and stay in the park and save a few hundred dollars. We only buy parts when they break.

Needless to say, its time to cut back! Whining about the high prices will not fix it. I'm not sure (I doubt anyone is) when prices will taper off, but until then you gotta do what you gotta do to get by. I really feel for the businesses that actually NEED to deal with the high prices. The electrical contractor I work for, for instance, has about 25 diesel trucks, 3/4 of them are out of the shop driving upwards of 300 miles in a day. Now we have to incorporate fuel prices into billing and compete with a desperate contractor that is willing to just get by, forcing us to loose customers at an alarming rate. This is why I am only getting 32 hours of work per week instead of 60 like a year ago.

I'm starting to rant... but any ways, please be grateful of what you do have, not spiteful because you can't buy a new $2k+ television. Concentrate on getting food into your families mouths, which is getting near impossible for millions of Americans, including me.

Ah, but many are having to deal with rising fuel prices in a more indirect way!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the highest i have seen is 4.79 around here but i can find 4.59 with out too much issue
Old 05-31-2008, 11:38 PM

I just did the conversion, diesel is 1.54 per liter here in Nova Scotia which works out to $5.83 (5.8289) a US gallon ( 1 gallon = 3.785 liters).
Old 06-01-2008, 01:52 PM

4.79 in Holiday, Fl. SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Wuuhuu!

I wish it could be still 5 or 6 dollars per gallon in here...

It's 9.09 usd per gallon at the moment! And the regular gas was 9.7 usd per gallon. The premium gas was 9.928 usd per gallon. We're all waiting for the diesel to break tens now!

And my truck is getting 12-14mpg. And I'm going to bomb it even more with some 220hp+ mach 6 injectors and twins...
Old 06-01-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Roperteacher
But what I want to know is..... WHAT CAN WE DO????????? Tell me and I will do it!!!
We can use our American ingenuity and cut them off completely. The foundation has already been laid. All modern gassers can run e-85 flex fuel or not (they REALLY keep this one quiet) with maybe a cel or a fuel filter change. Don't believe the anti-ethanol crowd-they are shills for big oil. Ethanol is not methanol,so there is no real need for a ''conversion''. Most offical info on ethanol is gov. misinformation designed to protect the oil companies. Ethanol will not harm your car,regardless of what they say.They have been lying to us for years and I just can't take it anymore. Spread the word! We can take them down,we have never been in a better position to do so than now. Our beloved made-in-America Cummins engines and all other decent diesels are flex-fuel by nature. Just look at all the members of this forum who are running 100% biodiesel or waste veggie oil. It is easier than some would have you believe. 3rd gens. too. Farmers by nature are extremely patriotic and have been early adopters of the biodiesel they helped produce.(Think tractor,combine,etc.) The trucks that carry this made-in-the-usa fuel are running more and more on biodiesel,cutting bigoil completely out of the picture,closing the door for good.They are running scared,and have their propaganda machine fully revved up. The misinformation planted by them is everywhere,newspapers,owner's manuals,Wikipidia,even on this forum. They have worked hard to control our thinking through outright lies and market manipulation.The politicitions and media are all bought off long ago.They pay farmers to not grow anything using our tax dollars creating artifical shortages,then blame biofuels as the cause.Just drive through the midwest and see millions of acres of abandoned farmland.It is time to turn our outrage into action. I don't like my money going to the saudis' and Bush and Cheney's pockets. Together we can take back our country-now is the time.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by twincam2000
4.79 in Holiday, Fl. SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
$4.89 here in northwest IN. Hope it never gets like Finland.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:17 PM

jforce: What mods did you do to your 2003 to burn "anything"???
Old 06-01-2008, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by kertoncol
jforce: What mods did you do to your 2003 to burn "anything"???
No mods but i do filter everything through a frantz filter down to 1 micron to protect the injectors and pumps.Two years,lots of towing,30k miles and my lead foot -no problems at all.Maybe a little smoke sometimes,but the power is usually better.By pressuring a 55 gallon drum with 5psi of compressed air it forces the dirty stuff through the filter into another drum and it's ready for use.(i use a popoff valve on the pressurized drum for safety)If i think it's too thick I will cut it with diesel.Two years and no problems.Right now i'm burning solvents and atf from my buddy's parts cleaner tank. But veggie oil is my favorite. No fancy processing,just careful filtering,and letting the water settle for several days.(i never pump from the bottom of the drum)I installed a toggle switch to turn off the predator when its cold to avoid injector rattle but turn it on when the truck warms up.I have changed the onboard filter once but it didn't even need to be changed. I do want to upgrade the truck filter,but right now it's still stock.I think Baldwin or somebody makes one that filters to 5 microns or something and that will be next but it's just cheap insurance.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:36 PM

Living in ga. helps alot with the veg oil,it seldom gets cold enough for it to gell,and my truck is always garaged.In a colder climate,the veg.oil may have to be heated first,this has been well covered elsewhere.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by jforce
No mods but i do filter everything through a frantz filter down to 1 micron to protect the injectors and pumps.Two years,lots of towing,30k miles and my lead foot -no problems at all.Maybe a little smoke sometimes,but the power is usually better.By pressuring a 55 gallon drum with 5psi of compressed air it forces the dirty stuff through the filter into another drum and it's ready for use.(i use a popoff valve on the pressurized drum for safety)If i think it's too thick I will cut it with diesel.Two years and no problems.Right now i'm burning solvents and atf from my buddy's parts cleaner tank. But veggie oil is my favorite. No fancy processing,just careful filtering,and letting the water settle for several days.(i never pump from the bottom of the drum)I installed a toggle switch to turn off the predator when its cold to avoid injector rattle but turn it on when the truck warms up.I have changed the onboard filter once but it didn't even need to be changed. I do want to upgrade the truck filter,but right now it's still stock.I think Baldwin or somebody makes one that filters to 5 microns or something and that will be next but it's just cheap insurance.
If I understand correctly, you have a separate tank that you can activate to pull fuel from, right?
Old 06-01-2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by kertoncol
If I understand correctly, you have a separate tank that you can activate to pull fuel from, right?
No,in a warm climate it's not needed. My filtering setup is in the garage,The truck's fuel system is unmodified.I have a 110 volt pump with a gas station style nozzle i rigged up. I installed a strainer on the suck end of the hose as well as twin screw on inline filters(two fram ph8a's) this pump setup is used to move bulk fuel(let's just call it fuel)when i collect it from tanks and then after it's filtered under pressure with the frantz,into the truck.I just have to make sure i run a gallon or so of filtered fuel through the bulk pump to purge it of any dirty stuff from collection before using it to fill the truck.When collecting,that strainer is the first line of defense(It clogs alot if there is alot of junk) then the frams.When i get it home,it goes through the frantz filter,down to one micron,and is stored until needed.Then back through the bulk pump and frams(after purging)again,and into the truck.The frantz filter and letting the water settle in the drums is key.Works for me!
Old 06-01-2008, 11:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is not enough used veggie oil to fuel 10% of the diesel rigs out there. What do you propose we do to fuel everyone?

I do agree about the CRP barren farm land, we need to end that program and let all the farmers grow canola/rape seed fields or corn, or whatever.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you all think E-85 is so great, read what the US Post Office has to say. Don’t forget to factor in all of the water that it takes to run an Ethanol plant. Then you need to worry about the water they discharge to make sure that it does not pollute our rivers or ground/drinking water.

May 21 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Postal Service purchased more than 30,000 ethanol-capable trucks and minivans from 1999 to 2005, making it the biggest American buyer of alternative-fuel vehicles. Gasoline consumption jumped by more than 1.5 million gallons as a result.

The Postal Service bought the ethanol vehicles to meet alternative-fuel requirements. The vehicles' size and ethanol's lower energy content lowered mileage, the agency said. It takes 1.33 gallons of E85 (85 percent ethanol) and 1.03 gallons of E10 (10 percent ethanol) to travel the same distance as with one gallon of pure gasoline, the Department of Energy says.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by DBLR
If you all think E-85 is so great, read what the US Post Office has to say. Don’t forget to factor in all of the water that it takes to run an Ethanol plant. Then you need to worry about the water they discharge to make sure that it does not pollute our rivers or ground/drinking water.

May 21 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Postal Service purchased more than 30,000 ethanol-capable trucks and minivans from 1999 to 2005, making it the biggest American buyer of alternative-fuel vehicles. Gasoline consumption jumped by more than 1.5 million gallons as a result.

The Postal Service bought the ethanol vehicles to meet alternative-fuel requirements. The vehicles' size and ethanol's lower energy content lowered mileage, the agency said. It takes 1.33 gallons of E85 (85 percent ethanol) and 1.03 gallons of E10 (10 percent ethanol) to travel the same distance as with one gallon of pure gasoline, the Department of Energy says.
Ah the post office... a gov. agency...more crap info... We have to start somewhere-Where is the outrage and American ingenuity? I like this board because it's made up of smart people who think out of the box...A bunch of thinking hot rodders who can make anything work. E85,despite it's gov. sponsored teething problems,is an solution here and now,to cut big oil off,or at least step on their toes.Everybody wants to whine about big oil,but if you give them solutions they whine somemore,and then tell you why it won't work.You guys are dissappointing me...As for the tired argument that it takes 3 gals. of dino fuel to to make 1 gal. of ethanol,this assumes the farmer and trucker have not yet converted to biodiesel. once they have,the door is closed on big oil for good.Think about it. See my other posts.As for water,that will be the next ''engineered'' crisis.So they can drive up the price of that too.It's time for us to outthink them.See my other posts

Quick Reply: diesel hits $5.00 a gallon!!!!!!!!