Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

diesel hits $5.00 a gallon!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel should be regulated like other utilities. If they have a legitimate reason to raise prices it has to be approved first. Right now the prices are being raised by stock brokers, has little to do with supply and demand at the moment. Besides that does a $1 0r 2 increase on a barrel equate to 15-30 cents per gallon increase at the pump?, I dont think so. At current stock market prices the oil companies are charging about 100% more for fuel products than they are paying for them. No wonder they are raking in record profits.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, we have seen what false inflation has done to the housing market, I can guarantee you that something similar will happen again in the fuel market. there will be a bust, we will have to see how long it takes to get here though.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:34 PM

Come on guys, they use every excuse in the book. Its chinas fault, its the weather, its the saudies, its the posibility of storms in the gulf etc. etc.The king of aribia has a itch in his bud so he is going to be in a bad mood and cut back on oil production.But if it went the other way, where you improve the situation by cutting back on oil or there is gona be a good weather forcast it dose not drop the price down.GREED,GREED, thats what is driving the prices up.I guess if it keeps going like this it is going to bust this country and they will go down the drain alone with us.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:03 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I went to a job on Wednesday and saw this station; it is about 20 miles East of Los Angeles and off the freeway by about a mile here in Southern California,

I went back the very next day and it had gone up to $5.49, this is in a very low-income part of the San Gabriel Valley.

Yet several blocks East of here it is still at $4.69 at another 76 station, guess they are charging him 80 cents more for the same fuel.

I have to go back there on Tuesday and I will probably see it for $5.69 or more.

Notice the price of gasoline hasn't changed, doesn't it all come from the same barrel?

Quote:
5.31 in petaluma, california. the reason i was told was because china just bought alot of diesel so that if the power went out during the olympics their generators would be able to power everything.

Since it seems to me that since the United States is clearly in a crisis, wouldn’t you think the normal response for a responsible country would be to stop sending it to China for some stupid games and divert it to our own country to help our own people?

Bet almost every other country would help their own people before they would help us.. Oh nobody helps us!

After all, that is just a sporting event and the world would go on if it never happened.

How long before people start dying because if the high prices? They had to buy food and they couldn’t afford the gas to get to the doctor.

What is going to happen if we have another natural disaster here in the US? California has been long overdue for another good sized earthquake, maybe even the big one.

Maybe we will be lucky and China will send troops to help rebuild LA and bring loads of free surplus diesel with them.

I really do have high blood pressure and I feel like I am going to explode every time I have to spend $80.00 for less than a half of a tank and I swear the more I pay for fuel the less mileage I am getting.

Are they doing something to out fuel to give us less mileage so we have to buy more fuel?
Old 05-25-2008, 10:52 AM

Yikes!
The funny thing is that biodiesel prices are keeping pace with petrodiesel.
Someone needs to hurry up and get an algae biodiesel plant online
Old 05-25-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane

Quote:

Since it seems to me that since the United States is clearly in a crisis, wouldn’t you think the normal response for a responsible country would be to stop sending it to China for some stupid games and divert it to our own country to help our own people?

Bet almost every other country would help their own people before they would help us.. Oh nobody helps us!

After all, that is just a sporting event and the world would go on if it never happened.

How long before people start dying because if the high prices? They had to buy food and they couldn’t afford the gas to get to the doctor.

What is going to happen if we have another natural disaster here in the US? California has been long overdue for another good sized earthquake, maybe even the big one.

Maybe we will be lucky and China will send troops to help rebuild LA and bring loads of free surplus diesel with them.
there is no red, white and blue of the U.S.A., or red China as far as the oil companies and the speculators are concerned- there's only green. i firmly believe that because the economy of many of the countries that export oil to us, depends on our purchasing their oil, those countries (including some opec countries) are looking out for us more than the oil companies and speculators are- and the sad thing is that many of those oil company execs and speculators are American citizens. they happily stick their greedy little hands out for the billions in subsidies that our tax $$$ give them, then ship out diesel to china, pakistan, europe, mexico- i bet if the taliban was low on diesel, and the price was right, they would be getting a shipment as well.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...nk&cd=10&gl=us
Old 05-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Banned

I'm currently on deployment right now...we just stopped off in Brisbane, Australia...you want to know something that is VERY disturbing to me and I have seen it in all the other countries that we have stopped in as well (minus third world countries that are just poor in general)...OUR country is the ONLY one that is facing a HUGE economic hardship...do you know that the price of minimum wage in Brisbane was over $15 an hour??? All us American Sailors and Marines were wondering why the place was so expensive...because EVERYBODY over there can afford living decent every day lives...fuel is almost on par cost to cost for them as it is for us, but it doesn't hurt them as much as it does us because even the "Poor Community" over there can afford to commute...our "low guys on the totem pole" would have to work for a solid WEEK to fill their tank...it's pretty horrible.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

This is probably the best explanation of the fuel pricing I have read.click here
Old 05-26-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Clayten
This is probably the best explanation of the fuel pricing I have read.click here
i guess i'll wait for the responses of those who claim that this is just more 'conspiracy theory' rhetoric.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:39 PM

Interesting find if I do say so myself!!!

James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. (born October 1, 1924) was the thirty-ninth President of the United States from 1977 to 1981 and a recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate, and was the 76th Governor of Georgia from 1971 to 1975.[1]

Carter created two new cabinet-level departments: the Department of Energy and the Department of Education. He established a national energy policy,[2] removed price controls from domestic petroleum production,[3] but was unable to make the U.S. less reliant on foreign oil sources. In foreign affairs, Carter pursued the Camp David Accords, the Panama Canal Treaties and the second round of Strategic Arms Limitation Talks (SALT). Carter sought to put a stronger emphasis on human rights; he negotiated a peace between Israel and Egypt in 1979. His return of the Panama Canal Zone to Panama was a major reversal of U.S. claims of influence over parts of Latin America dating to the Monroe doctrine, and Carter came under heavy criticism for it. The final year of his presidential tenure was marked by several major crises, including the 1979 takeover of the American embassy in Iran and holding of hostages by Iranian students, a failed rescue attempt of the hostages, serious fuel shortages, and the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. By 1980, Carter's disapproval ratings were significantly higher than his approval, and he was challenged by Ted Kennedy for the Democratic Party nomination in the 1980 election. Carter defeated Kennedy for the nomination, but lost the election to Republican Ronald Reagan.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:00 PM

Think I got ya'll beat...called my buddy that went to Snowmass CO. and had to fuel up in Aspen...ready? $6.09...gulp.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Roperteacher
But what I want to know is..... WHAT CAN WE DO????????? Tell me and I will do it!!!
One thing is for sure, voting for any of the current candidates will NOT have any affect.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
5.19 for the last week around my parts...USA dropped to 5.07 this morning so I took advantage of it, if you could call 5.07 taking advantage of it.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:06 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by s cesnick
I am SERIOUSLY considering trading the CTD for a gasser. But about the time I do that, Gas will catch up with diesel in price And I will be kicking myself.
I did the calcs this morning just because of curiosity...

2002 QC 5.9l Gas .39 per mile at $4.09 per gallon (10.5mpg)

2006 QC 5.9l CTD .30 per mile at $5.07 per gallon (16.9mpg)

It costs me $135.00 less per month to drive the Diesel, even factoring in the difference in the vehicle payments, I'd still save $21.00 per month driving the Diesel.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
As much as this stinks paying over $5 a gallon (its a little cheaper here, 4.69 at the cheapest), I get a little frustrated when people are dissapointed because they can't buy a nice TV or go out to eat every night, or go for a useless drive whenever they want. I'm not one to talk, two years ago we would drive 1000 miles while on vacation just see the sights, buy nice (but really not necessary) things for the car/truck/bike/toy etc. We order take out once a month instead of twice a week. Now we have had to cut back, and if we go on vacation we go camping and stay in the park and save a few hundred dollars. We only buy parts when they break.

Needless to say, its time to cut back! Whining about the high prices will not fix it. I'm not sure (I doubt anyone is) when prices will taper off, but until then you gotta do what you gotta do to get by. I really feel for the businesses that actually NEED to deal with the high prices. The electrical contractor I work for, for instance, has about 25 diesel trucks, 3/4 of them are out of the shop driving upwards of 300 miles in a day. Now we have to incorporate fuel prices into billing and compete with a desperate contractor that is willing to just get by, forcing us to loose customers at an alarming rate. This is why I am only getting 32 hours of work per week instead of 60 like a year ago.

I'm starting to rant... but any ways, please be grateful of what you do have, not spiteful because you can't buy a new $2k+ television. Concentrate on getting food into your families mouths, which is getting near impossible for millions of Americans, including me.

Quick Reply: diesel hits $5.00 a gallon!!!!!!!!