Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

On Board WVO System

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On Board WVO System

Is there such a thing as a an on board WVO system. I mean is there a thing where you can take straight WVO from a restaurant and poor it into a holding tank similar to a tool box and then have a heating tank that super heats it so it is not a solid or gel but a running liquid and run straight off of that. I have heard people running it on diesel until the engine is warm then switching to WVO, is this the same idea?

My dad does not want to go the getting WVO then "purifying" it and then using it as diesel. So this is my only other option besides getting a diesel Jetta.

Thanks Adam
Old 05-08-2008, 09:05 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It can be done, but filter, filter, filter, and then filter again! Problem is being able to get to your filters and change them frequently. Without settleing the oil and getting the large chunks out, you'll clog a lot of filters. That and the need to dewater the oil ( which helps by settling) is the drawback.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:04 PM

So is it worth it or is a diesel jetta my best route?

Thanks Adam
Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Chapter President

I think it is worth it as long as you have a good supply. I was going to do it myself, but $4500 for the kit and installation was too hard to swallow. I bought a more economical car instead for $2500 and retired the truck to "toy" status. Check out frybrid and greasecar for the kits. They also have forums on their sites that will give you tons of info.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:15 AM

If you're not going to let your oil settle... look into some kind of onboard centrifuge.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:01 AM

Just for some balance , there are many out there doing what your asking about , but there is a lot of evidence showing all kinds of problems with running WVO , how soon you run into problems , depends on what eng/fuel system your putting it in .
You are approaching this in a blanket manner , in all trucks , or in VWs .
There are huge differences from yr to yr in all makes & models , generally speaking , the newer the truck or car , the less able the system is able to handle any alternate fuels .
Do a lot more research , its cheaper that trying something , finding all the problems on your own & paying for all the issues .
The cost of the WVO systems , then the limited use [ switching tanks/fuel after WVO is heated -- drive time ] then the cost of system & installation .
Processing WVO into bio diesel is less hassle & cheaper , I am building a processor , that is going to cost between $300-500 , then no modifications to truck , and no limitations in my driving , just change the % of bio & add normal anti gel additives , for colder weather , the average cost not including labor , is about .80 - $1,25 gal .
The labor is about 3 hrs per wk.
Just food for thought .
Old 05-10-2008, 10:27 AM

Thanks for all the information it looks like i need to do a lot more research on this subject then to figure out what is the best route i can go.

Thanks Adam
Old 05-23-2008, 02:38 PM

The thing about WVO is that so many people get really fired up about the idea before they really know if they have a satisfactory source. In order to do it on board as is your stated requirement you will need at least 2 tanks for the veg oil in addition to your diesel tank. One for dirty veg oil and one for clean veg oil. There are several split fuel tanks around that would fulfill this requirement. You would need a means to suck the dirty oil out of the source tank, at this time you could do multiple stages of filtering from big chunks down to 60 microns or less. After that you would route this same oil through a centrifuge until it was clean to 1 micron or less and dewatered; this would also require you to heat the oil while it was circulated in the centrifuge and would likely take several hour of being circulated through the centrifuge. Then you would pump it into your clean veg tank to be used as fuel. All this is of course on top of the regular modification needed to run vergoil in your diesel.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to filter and de-water the oil before you use it. Id invest in a bunch of bag filters and a good funnel. Hang the filter up high and pour the oil in and have it funnel into a 55gal drum.
When youre done filtering, Id pump it into a used water heater and heat it to +160F. Then cook up some fittings which allow you to bubble compressed air into the bottom. You should see steam condensing if you run a clear hose from the top of the heater. Dont put in so much air that youre seeing oil mist.
Maybe its worth investing in some lab tests on fuel quality to check for water levels so you can nail down your process.
If you dont de-water youll rot your pump guts and erode the injector tips.