Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Black diesel..filtering ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Black diesel..filtering ideas?

How about using a vacuum cleaner filter to clean the oil? I noticed a couple of nights ago that many are available (cheap ) at 5 microns. I believe the HEPA filters go to sub-micron specs.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:16 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw where you posted in the other thread, I'm not sure I can picture what type of filter you are referring to? A bag?

I just used three paint strianers, they are like 75 microns I think. They filtered out some heavy stuff. There was quite a bit of grass and small chunks of stuff in my oil (I have been saving it up, have about 20 gallons). I guess it came from my drain pan sitting in the garage?

I would like to hear some ideas on a REASONABLE pump/filtering system. Something you can use on smaller drums, maybe to filter back and forth a few times beofre you dump it in you r truck? I can get a filter block at Tractor Supply for diesel fuel, the filters they sell for it are 15 micron I think.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:34 PM

I was at THE EVIL EMPIRE (Wal-Mart) a couple of nights ago looking around for ideas to filter WMO. Vacuum cleaner filters come in several configs. The bags would be REALLY messy, but cheap. I found some others which were shaped kinda like a funnel, 2" diameter and 4" long, with a plastic ring at the opening. If your oil was really dirty it would prolly clog up pretty fast due to low surface area. I also noticed that some home A/C filters are good to about 10 microns. Lots of surface area, but not shaped very well for the job (messy).

How about one of those cone-shaped K&N filters? When it gets dirty, shoot some filter cleaner on and rinse. OMG, I just found a practical purpose for one of those POS.

BTW, my cousin (no diesel learnin') just bought a '99 'Stroke. I took the airbox lid off and found a K&N filter oil puddle about 1/2" deep in the bottom. He says "Do I need to do something with that?"
Old 05-01-2006, 01:38 PM
P.J
Banned

K&N filter oil puddle about 1/2" deep in the bottom. He says "Do I need to do something with that?"
That'll be fine, cars in the 50's had "oil bath" filtering systems, right?

The size and shape is most of the battle. Even with the paint strainer idea (I got from here) you still need a funnel and an extra hand is nice. I enlisted my 11 yr. old son. Good father/son bonding, sloshing oil over the garage floor.

There isn't much sense in spending hundreds of dollars to save a few gallons of diesel each tank, so I see where you are comming from with the "out of the box" approach to finding a suitable filter. I think I'm going to really go junk yard dog and get me a few 30 gallon drums with a lids, try to do something with a recirculating pump or something.
Just changed the oil in both the truck and wifeys car last night too, got another 3 1/2 gallons to fool with.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:36 PM
P.J
Banned

Heres something similar to what I was thinking.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_12006_12006

Reasonable ($7.00) replacement filters, just need to find a cheap pump.

EDIT: And, something to put on the bottom of your hose.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...=13238&R=13238
Old 05-01-2006, 03:39 PM

Looks good, I may have to go nosin' around at Harbor Freight this week.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:09 PM

Make sure that you keep the bypass from opening if you use that filter. And for a cheap pump you can use a hand rotary barrel pump... They have sectioned down tube so it can be shortened.
That will keep you well under $50 for a filter pump setup.
Oilguy
Old 05-01-2006, 06:22 PM
P.J
Banned

Nothing better than having the "Oilguy" weigh in on an oil thread!
I read back through some old threads that you posted in, good stuff.

There are several other "fuel" type filters made by Goldenrod, most of them are water seperators, some just for diesel. The blocks they sell for those wouldn't have a bypass,........ right?
Old 05-01-2006, 07:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't know how many microns they are but a pair of pantie hose filters the jet black solvent in my parts washer enough in one pass that it's clear.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:05 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Im not sure an air filter will work to filter a liquid. The filter will most likely not stay together.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:42 PM

TP filter

I made a Tolet Paper filter with 4" PVC and run the balck oil through it with a RV SureFlo pump. They won't let me post pics but works well. I'm currently using it for WVO. I use Scotts TP holds up the best.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Im not sure an air filter will work to filter a liquid. The filter will most likely not stay together.

K&N is made to be oiled, I believe it is a cotton gauze type thingy.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:29 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Ranman
I made a Tolet Paper filter with 4" PVC and run the balck oil through it with a RV SureFlo pump. They won't let me post pics but works well. I'm currently using it for WVO. I use Scotts TP holds up the best.
I'm not sure I follow, who won't let you post a pic?

How do you plug the cardboard core?
Old 05-02-2006, 04:56 PM

I bought a little hand pump from tractor supply today that is made to put on gallon sized oil containers, bought a fram fuel filter, the clear one that you can see into, I think its a G3 or something, put it on the output of the pump and it seems to work great, just dumped my used oil into a gallon sized fuel can and pumped it out through the filter into a 5 gallon diesel container. works great and cost about 8 bucks. I don't know what micron the filter is though, maybe someone can chime in with that.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:07 PM

I made a Tolet Paper filter with 4" PVC and run the balck oil through it with a RV SureFlo pump.
The sureflow is going to surprize you! the seals are rated for water and not petrolium... I know it happen to me and my rig when I started my business... Very embarassing! Actually... If you have the pump style that has the thread on the exterior it will be ok but the diaphrams will crack unless it is Viton rubber.

There are several other "fuel" type filters made by Goldenrod, most of them are water seperators, some just for diesel. The blocks they sell for those wouldn't have a bypass,........ right?
Thats right "Fuel" Type filter don't have bypasses.

And Ranman>> how do you plug the center hole on the TP filter??

Oilguy

Quick Reply: Black diesel..filtering ideas?