Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.
View Poll Results: What do you think about Bio Diesel??
Good
94.74%
Bad
5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Bio Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bio Diesel

Just looking for other opinion's on Bio Diesel. If you had the room would you make it yourself and save money??? Thanks for the inputs.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:08 PM

A buddy of mine and myself are seriously considering setting up a system in his garage. I have never personally tried the stuff but have heard mostly good about it. We havent decided on WVO or SVO yet, but with the price of fuel right now a bio mix is staring to look really tempting. It is my understanding that one should expect to lose a little bit of power (figure this can be compensated for) but feul milage should go up consideably.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:13 PM

I just wish I could see a system at work. I would love to try it, but it is hard to get interested in something that I have never seen.

anyone near me macking it?????????????
Old 08-17-2005, 01:59 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I've been think'n about it since I bought my truck. We got quite a few fast food restaurants here and they all need to get rid of their french fry oil. How much room and at what cost/savings?
Old 08-17-2005, 02:20 PM

CSAGrey, My local Bio distributor told me fuel mileage should be about the same.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I support Soy-biodiesel. I have a bumper sticker on the truck that says "Powered By Soy Bio Diesel. I get tons of questions and comments about it. Im all for it, plus I help grow it!
Old 08-17-2005, 02:41 PM

Heres a couple of sites http://www.biodieselcommunity.org<br...seedprocessor/
Biodiesel Appleseed Reactor Planshttp://web. missouri.edu/~pavt0689/biofuel.html
Biodiesel-Biofuels Research I could only get one to come up , apple , missouri did a lot of research with our engines.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:34 PM

I first saw it on an episode of trucks, they showed a kit and how to make it. They say it would cost .60-.70 cents a gallon to make if you get the grease for free, if the business pay you then you would make money. I live in AF Base housing and don't have room for it, if I had room I would be all over it. On trucks they said you actually can make more power because you determine your Cetane Rating???? Guess one would have to do a dyno test.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:09 PM

I am all for the bio also. The only thing that I have wrong with it is the high gelling point. If they could get thhis figured out then I would definately use it, if there was a pump around here. I have also thought about setting up a system, not real sure on it though. Like SHARPMACHINE said "I just wish I could see a system at work." If it gets much worse I will probably try it though. I would rather just buy soy if I could, seems like it would be cheaper then Dio now.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:09 PM

although i have not tried it yet, there is no place close that has it, I think its a good idea. As far as WVO i am current setting up a mercedes 300D to run on WVO. as far as making my own bio fuel I dont know that i would want those chemical around I have a small child and if not properly handled the chemical are very dangerous. just getting lye on your skin will burn you and the alcohol is just as bad. there is some places on the net that talks about using acid and although is very caustic there is no titration involved, if i remember correctly. Also it cuts down on the byproducts left using the lye method
Old 08-26-2005, 11:32 AM

"I support Soy-biodiesel. I have a bumper sticker on the truck that says "Powered By Soy Bio Diesel. I get tons of questions and comments about it. Im all for it, plus I help grow it!"

I would more likely buy Soy diesel if it were cheaper than petro, but since it is the same or more around here I will make my own from the french fry oil. The whole point of soy diesel was to...

1. Make another resource for soybeans to be made into
2. Be cheaper and eventually replace petro diesel.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:06 PM

If it was cheaper I would definately use it, untill it got really cold. The only real bad thing is the high gel point, but if you just use a 20% mix this is negligible. I've heard that you don't really make any more or less power your mileage might go up .5 to 1 mpg.

They are right that it only costs $.7 cents per gallon to make if you get the oil for free and your time doesn't cost anything. It takes a lot of time.

The oil that you get you don't want to use oil that has animal fats in it, you can but its harder to get good bio. The best oil to use is supposed be from chinese/asian places.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Seems like a real pain in the butt to me. When I can buy it from a pump for less than plain ol' #2 fuel oil I'll be interested.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:33 PM

WVO

I've been running WVO for a year now. Here a couple good forums on using it.
http://www.frybrid.com/test.htm
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/ubb....51&f=159605551
Ken Gardner
Old 08-31-2005, 11:15 AM

how much is the kit to make it

Quick Reply: Bio Diesel