Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

bad fuel

Old 12-10-2005, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad fuel

Spent over 900 dollars at the dealership today. I was told i was running contaminated fuel. I was wondering if anyone had run into to same problem. I filled up at a maverick station in boise idaho, then topped off at dads truckstop in idaho falls(300 miles away). the next morning my truck would not run for more than 5 min at a time. replaced fuel filter and added # 1 and it ran 150 miles before having the same problems. any info would help thanks
Old 12-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Contaminated with what?
Water....Gasoline.....Alge.....Plutonium......I hope they were a little more specific.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:17 PM

they showed me a bottle of fuel from my tank. it had black debris in the bottom. the in tank filter they showed me was black also. the fuel filter i replaced was a nasty black color also. this was the 1st filter i've replace(only 14000 miles on the truck) so i dont know what they are supposed to look like. I did not ast them what the debris was , but they told me it came from where i purchased fuel.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:19 PM

Gas in fuel

I mistakenly put 5 gal of gas in my truck the other day. I drove about 15 miles before i realized it it was ratteling more than normal" I had about 15 gal of diesel in it when this happened i just hope it didnt hurt anything. It seems to be ok after i dropped the tank and drained it. It s a 2005
Old 12-10-2005, 05:32 PM

Did you get a receipt from the stations when you bought fuel?

It might be worth grabbing a couple of 5 gallon jugs and getting fuel from each of them (or at least the closest one) to see whose tanks are full of gunk.
It sounds like the local station might be the one with a problem.
If you traveled 300 miles after fueling up at the first station, the problem should have appeared on the trip back if their fuel was the problem.

Always get a receipt when you get fuel.
It become your insurance policy to get monetary compensation from the station if you find out the fuel was bad.

My fuel filters typically look real dark brown, with a few small black spots when I change them out at 15-20,000 miles.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by apatche
I mistakenly put 5 gal of gas in my truck the other day. I drove about 15 miles before i realized it it was ratteling more than normal" I had about 15 gal of diesel in it when this happened i just hope it didnt hurt anything. It seems to be ok after i dropped the tank and drained it. It s a 2005
Dump a real healthy dose of your favorite lubricity additive in the tank.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:39 PM

I paid with a visa. so i should be good. I am going to call the dept of weights and measures monday. i also plan to call the gas station in ifaho falls. I wonder if the contaminants could be in the tank for a while with out causing a problem. a month ago there was a rash of bad fuel in boise. i had filled up at one of the stations with a problem during that time. torsoro ended up making a public amouncement that they would be compensating people for there losses.

my initial thought when the truck would not stay rumming was that it had jelled. it got down to -15F that night. could that have stirred up the debris in the tank? i wonder
Old 12-12-2005, 11:49 PM
GSP

josaland,
Yep I was in the boise are for about a month and there was bad diesel going around. It was on the news too. Flying J and Fred Meyers had some bad diesel that looked like tar. It clogged alot of peoples fuel filters. They shut down sellin diesel at certain stations tell they found the source.

They showed some black fuel filters and a jar of the stuff with black tar floating in it , on the TV news .
Old 12-13-2005, 12:43 AM

Majority of the diesel sold is crap nowadays . I change my fuel filter every oil change now ......... I know some will say it is overkill but 10 bucks is cheap insurance in my eyes !!!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mixer Man
Majority of the diesel sold is crap nowadays . I change my fuel filter every oil change now ......... I know some will say it is overkill but 10 bucks is cheap insurance in my eyes !!!
If you just add a fuel pressure gauge to monitor your filter condition the insurance would be even cheaper.
With a fp gauge I've been able to extend my fuel filter changes to 30k.
Gauge will pay for itself quickly by just eliminating a few needless filter changes.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:50 AM

"If you just add a fuel pressure gauge to monitor your filter condition the insurance would be even cheaper.
Gauge will pay for itself quickly by just eliminating a few needless filter changes."

That is the main reason I installed my FP Gauge!!!!!
Old 12-14-2005, 12:41 PM

You may have got black diesel without aslking , back in the 80s I had an gas/repair shop in no. cal. and came across some info about the russin mafia , getting into the waste and oil buis , and they made better profits by not prossing the waste oil but putting into diesel and making even more , in this world when somebody comes up with an idea to make money than a lot follow, in this case somebody went overboard with the %.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
If you just add a fuel pressure gauge to monitor your filter condition the insurance would be even cheaper.
Gauge will pay for itself quickly by just eliminating a few needless filter changes.
If you look at my sig I already have an Isspro fuel press gauge running right of the filter housing .