Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

$0 Fuel Prices! No Kidding! Free!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 08:37 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gobucks
You can't say that Oilguy's credibility hasn't been called into question...you just did it.

As he has already stated, he doesn't want to pay the money for this procedure; rather, he is just going to take his chances the old fashioned way by running it in his vehicle. I respect that...

I find it curious (again, and don't have much repect for) someone that would bypass a $50-$100 test to just go and "test" it out on a $1,200 injection pump attached to a $9,000 diesel engine?
Who is taking him up on the offer to have the fuel looked at? I can't imagine it's leagal to mail, so I assume it will have to be someone in the Lone Star area?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look, I didn't say that I would be willing to run it in any of my vehicles without testing it...but, I also guess I can't say that for sure until I was in Oilguy's shoes. He seems pretty confident about his finished product.

Also, "$50-$100 test?" I was just messing around to try to find somewhere that would test the fuel should I decide to do this and this is the price list I found: http://www.harristestinglabs.com/sho...?search=Diesel

It looks like it would be $365 just for the two Cetane tests...I am not certain what all I should have tested. Maybe someone on here could shed some light on that, but it looks like it could get pricey.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:55 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Maybe someone on here could shed some light on that, but it looks like it could get pricey.
Not as expensive as ruining your $6000 Cummins engine in your $45,000 dollar truck. Thats a gamble I'm not willing to take. If I were making fuel you could bet that I would have it tested. But thats just me.

Britt

Old 10-26-2005, 11:42 AM

Exactly, and that's your prerogative...I'm not here to tell someone what to do or second guess their decisions. Oilguy chose not to spend the money for the testing, but has offered the fuel to anyone that would like to take the initiative.

I, like you, would probably want to test the fuel before I put it in my new vehicle. Therefore, I would appreciate information on the $50-$100 test, in case I decide to make my own fuel.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:29 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exactly, and that's your prerogative...I'm not here to tell someone what to do or second guess their decisions. Oilguy chose not to spend the money for the testing, but has offered the fuel to anyone that would like to take the initiative.

I, like you, would probably want to test the fuel before I put it in my new vehicle. Therefore, I would appreciate information on the $50-$100 test, in case I decide to make my own fuel.
I made an "Assumption", figuring that oil analysis was in that ballpark. (See first three letters)

Let's just get to the meat and patatos here and see a friggin picture of the fuel other than on Ebay.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:41 PM
klm

please

I'm new to this forum but I can see it don't take much to get you lady's all in a stew. For gods sake somebody show them a picture of some diesel fuel.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:06 PM

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how a photo of some fuel in a jar is going to satisfy all of this skepticism. I'm half tempted to shoot a picture of some apple juice coming out of a garden hose into a mason jar just to see how it is analyzed on here...
Old 10-26-2005, 07:08 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how a photo of some fuel in a jar is going to satisfy all of this skepticism. I'm half tempted to shoot a picture of some apple juice coming out of a garden hose into a mason jar just to see how it is analyzed on here...
Well that's more than what we have got so far.

If you want to believe without any evidence what-so-ever then be my guest. I and many others are not so easily swayed.

Britt

Old 10-27-2005, 09:22 PM

Adding a little more FUEL to the fire...

In an effort to find proof or disproof of this technology I came across a very interesting thread in Google Groups. I will attempt to post a link and although I believe it will work, it will likely stretch from here to Utah. HERE

http://groups.google.com/group/misc....472a3ca21d18fa

So in the event that the link doesn't work for anyone who wants to read it go to Google.com, click "groups" and paste this query in

Green Oasis Environmantal (GRNO) Research Report

The Green Oasis company seems to have been a flop; I didn't go into an exhaustive search to find out what happened but what I did find interesting was that the process was explained as one that would provide nearly identical yields as the plans that Mike Verrall is (was) selling- (the last time I checked the plans were still not re-listed...10:16pm EST, Oct 27, 05)

Here's a quote "Through the application of "thermal cracking", a well known proven
process, and operating under GRNO proprietary automated system parameters,
100 gallons of used motor oil is converted into approximately 70 gallons of
#2 diesel (Cetane rating of 49-58) and 20 gallons of #3 Fuel Oil. The
process is self-sustaining, using the residual 10% of light gases to fuel
the heating process. " originally posted on 11-11-96

I found multiple articles claiming the process provides similar yields. My gut feel all along is that "OilGuy" has been telling the truth the whole time. If I were him I wouln't have to show you a picture of my fuel I'd just know I was saving $2.79 a gallon... let the defecation hit the oscillator
Old 10-28-2005, 12:44 AM

Nice work McDiesel!

Is #3 Fuel oil the same thing as home heating oil? If not what is it used for? Can it be used as fuel in a diesel engine? Perhaps requiring a WVO conversion kit?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2005, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Barryn
Nice work McDiesel!

Is #3 Fuel oil the same thing as home heating oil? If not what is it used for? Can it be used as fuel in a diesel engine? Perhaps requiring a WVO conversion kit?

Thanks
Hi Barryn

I am no expert and have just been doing research to try to understand this technology; ultimately it would be awesome to turn used oil to diesel. Verrall's plans (to my knowledge, I hadn't bought them yet) do not address #3 Fuel oil and it seems that a definition is a bit evasive. I didn't spend a lot of time on it but I did manage to find a document that defines several grades of fuel oil here: http://www.usace.army.mil/inet/usace...-642/chap2.pdf Strangely enough, Fuel Oil numbers 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 are mentioned and #3 is absent from the list

Other texts I have found do not address specifics such as differentiating between "diesel" and "#3 fuel oil" but rather the product created is simply referred to as "gasoil".

A WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil) conversion kit is typically a system installed into a diesel vehicle that heats (highly filtered) WVO (in a second tank- not in the diesel tank) to a viscosity whereby it will flow freely. Heating takes place most frequently (again in my limited knowledge) by running the VO lines inside a larger hose with coolant from the existing system (yes coolant in it's own hose, no mixing of coolant and VO of course) After the VO reaches the proper temp, the driver is free to flip a switch that controls which tank the engine is fed by and upon nearing one's destination the switch must be thrown in the opposite direction to return the vehicle to the previous state whereby it is running on diesel and the VO is purged from the lines, IP, etc.

If your are interested in learning more about WVO one of the most informative and friendly forums I have found has been the greasecar.com forum here: http://www.greasecar.com/forum_view.cfm?frmID=1

Frequent posters to this board (greasecar) can tell you WAY more than I
Old 10-28-2005, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wonder if #3 is known as 'bunker oil'?

MikeyB
Old 10-28-2005, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Wonder if #3 is known as 'bunker oil'?

MikeyB
I'd say not based on this: "Bunker C fuel oil, which is also known as Type 6 heating fuel oil in Canada, or No. 6 fuel oil in the United States"

from here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/ep-002/ep-002-e.html

although I am not sure what the significance of the "C" is
Old 10-28-2005, 08:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I couldn't find any info on #3. Fuel oil rating is #2 and #4. #5 is Bunker B and #6 is Bunker C.

MikeyB
Old 10-28-2005, 11:03 AM

I have a 200x60 foot pole shed. It is about 150 yards from the house. Would it be unsafe to run this plant in the shed without CONSTANT supervision?

Quick Reply: $0 Fuel Prices! No Kidding! Free!!