Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

Started 6bt crewcab project - Pics on blog.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we are thinking of keeping the fire engine pea green on our crew cab with black along the bottom of the cab and hood for the no glare. last time i drove it cars got out of the way.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:33 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Trooperthorn
I assume it was a forest service truck. It was an original 360 auto w/fulltime four wheel drive. Front floors were rusted away, cab above windshield was rusted through, and the bottom of the driver's side doors were flappin' in the wind. I patched it up and painted it about 10 years ago. I used a 1975, 440 powered standard cab as a donor then. When gas was a buck, it was a fun truck.
Well it looks nothing like what you describe now. You've done a LOT of body work. Makes me want to tear into the '74 crew cab that I thought was too far gone. Did you cut & weld the floors or just swap out for another cab? I'll be watching this one too!
Old 02-02-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
Did you cut & weld the floors or just swap out for another cab? I'll be watching this one too!
When I did the floors, I was not interested in resto quality. The inside was to be covered with insulation and carpet and the underside got a thick layer of 3m undercoating. I did my best to kill the rust and seal it. Today I would use POR 15, but it wasn't around then. After sealing, I cut some 18 guage steel to go from tunnel to kick panel and from just in front of the seats up the slope halfway to the heater and behind the pedals. These panals overlapped what was left of the solid metal of the floor. I used some kind of structural body epoxy and pop rivets to hold them down.

Above the windshield, I had to cut out about an inch to inch-and-a-half of cancer and graft in new metal almost all the way across. You may notice in some of my picture there is no drip rail across the top of the winshield any more. This area is showing blisters now. and may need more repair.

I also had a hole the size of a fist rusted through way up under the dash above my left foot. This dumped in water anytime it rained. The carpet was always soaked. Since you can't see it from either the inside or the out, I just fiberglassed it. The trick there was to cut an access hole in the airbox on the side behind the rear of the fender. This is the box that develops the notorious first gen cab squeek. I cut three sides of a rectangle then just folded it open like a door. When I was done, I just pushed it closed and welded it back up.

Sorry about the long reply, but I think it is worth mentioning that I am planning to cut the front off of this cab and graft on a new front from an "89 I have in the yard. If I cut it just in front of the seat and just above the windshield, It solves lots of problems. One, I get rid of all the aformentioned rust, and two it corrects some firewall issues. The hole where the heater box passes through the firewall is wrong for the '92 heater box as is the whole for the '92 wiring harness.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by woodrat
i got my NV4500 changeover kit from Standard transmission in Texas.
Was that a complete kit from auto to stick? Did you have to mod the T-case?

The kit I am looking at has all but the starter and clutch pedal. It also upgrades the input on the tcase from, I think, 29 to 32 spline to carry the torque that is no longer absorbed by the TQ, but this requires some machine work for a bigger bearing and seal.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it was for converting from a getrag, not an auto. it had a new bellhousing, mounts for the x member, and a different mount for the transfer case shifter. no mods to the t case were needed.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
That's going to be a sweet rig! I'll keep checking it out. Thanks for posting the blog of the project. Kurt
Old 02-06-2008, 10:50 PM

stopped over at trooperthorns house tuesday to kick some tires and get the tour thanks for letting me and my daughter come by. lots of work in front of you to do just wanted to touch bases. anyway wanted to get a before then hopefully i will get an invite to see the after. thanks again. let me know when you need a few extra hands if i am free i will come on by.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:12 PM

Good luck with your project. Mine's finished, I just don't have the time to do anything new to it.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:40 PM

nice ride. found another c cab cummins close by going to see if he minds if i post a photo. keep them coming.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:24 PM

Thanks. It's been sitting for 4 months and the battery is deader than a doornail. Time to spend a little money on it and start driving it more often.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:42 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
REAL nice PeteRR . Got any more pictures of it? I really like the bumper.
Good job,
Old 02-25-2008, 06:49 AM

Old 02-25-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by PeteRR

That is a sweet lookin 1st Gen
Old 02-25-2008, 11:27 PM

Love the muscle car doodads, Pete. You might have noticed the superbee decals and stripe on mine and the Charger flip open cas caps.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Trooperthorn
Love the muscle car doodads, Pete. You might have noticed the superbee decals and stripe on mine and the Charger flip open cas caps.
I did. The guy I bought the truck from is a Mopar fanatic from way back. The hood scoop was cut off of a Dodge Challenger and grafted onto the truck hood.

Quick Reply: Started 6bt crewcab project - Pics on blog.