Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

putting a 90 6bt into a 92 RC.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
I cant believe you dont have it anymore. I know you wanted to move it so I am glad it finally sold. It was so well put together. Who ever ended up with it got a piece as if Mopar built it.

I didnt mean any new places. My father has taught me so much. In this day and age I think to many machine shops have gone away due to lack of interest from the shops owners children. Atleast around here. Just like orchards or farms. With some many getting away from it its scary for me to think my children wont have a person to call and ask a question. Of course most things today arent made to last anyways. If it last four or five years its accepted to throw away and buy new. What happened to buying a quality product so it will last, and it can be repaired by the average person. The world has changed, and I am not happy where it has gone
Old 10-16-2011, 12:37 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
WOW...Looking good!!!

That pistol grip looks good in there. Do you have any pics of how you mounted it/ adapted it to the NV4500 shifter tower? If it's fairly straight forward I'll be getting mine in soon too....

If you order your Castrol Syntorque from BlueMethyl directly...they are also on E-bay...you can save a TON on the fluid. I paid less then $40 for 5 quarts shipped to my door.

>>http://cgi.ebay.com/Dodge-and-Chevy-New-Venture-4500-transmission-oil-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item3a698d0f24&item=25087895530 0&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr< <

(Copy and paste without the >><<'s )

Well the price sure has gone up....
Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 AM

Cows I dont have step by step instructions but it was pretty simple. I have a bottle top nv4500 found on 1994-97's. It uses a square stock stub that the oem shaft pushes down onto just like a getrag. I used .5" square tubing and a flat piece of steel. Then welded together. I drilled two holes and then went to the shifter. I had to slightly bend the bottom edge of the shifter towards the driver to get the exact angle that felt right to me. I kept enough material on the flat piece of stock incase I ever go to buckets and I want to make any adjustments down the road. If your nv4500 is the square top with the threaded stub I wouldnt think it would be anymore difficult. I dont have any pics just of the setup I made but it is in one of the pics I took. Its laying on the center hump next to the shifter spring and cap.

I will be updating with some new pics. I got my cut and balanced rear drive shaft back and installed with two new spicer u-joints. I also just about have my custom 4" exhaust done. I am waiting on a piece of 4" pipe to finish out the out so my tip is where I want it.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:10 PM

I can kind of see the set-up you made, but I'm unsure of how it attatches to the rod coming out of the bottle top. I too have the bottle top NV4500 so it should be the same set-up as yours.I can picture everything but how it attatches to the tranny.

Did you weld the adapter you made to the rod coming out of the top of the tranny? It almost looks like you have it so it bolts on? If you can find a pic and post it up that would be worth a 1000 words....

Glad it's almost all together, sure is a nice set-up.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:36 PM

Cows, I didnt weld the adapter. I purchased a spare stub and drilled a 5/16" hole. Then using one bolt thats what actually holds the adapter to the stub. The adapters square tubing actually pushes down onto the stub quite nicely. It was hard to get all the way on and harder to get off. Due to the slight taper on the bottom of the stub shaft. The 5/16" bolt is simply there to keep in on. It really doesnt serve as its keeper. I did use a small piece of rubber as a absorber to help take some rattle out of the shifter. Its installed between the shifter and the adapter. I hope to have my tip on tomorrow. I have a dentist appointment so who knows. If I get it done tomorrow and have the camera I will take the 4 screws out of the shifter boot and snap a pic. Just for you Cows.

After the exhaust I need to rebuild the front end and front drivershaft. I plan to get some fuel in tomorrow and here it run through the open 4" exhaust
Old 10-18-2011, 01:46 PM

No such thing as "open Exhaust" on a diesel....just a cool sounding straight pie system...

Where did you find the spare stub for the shifter? I've been looking for one myself but have not been able to come up with one. I do appreciate you getting a pic of the adapter for me.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:33 PM

Cows I found a guy on Ebay that had a spare stub, spring, cap, and a rubber dust cover. He sells a lot of nv4500 stuff. Here is his username: ttechinc . Here are those pics:
Name:  RC003.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  130.8 KB
Name:  RC004.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  139.0 KB
Name:  RC001.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  244.2 KB
Name:  RC002.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  90.8 KB
Just as a reference. In the third pic the shifter is in 1st gear. Cows you can adj the shifter to be exactly where you want it. Luckily for us the nv4500 is a very tight tranny In the forth pic I know the exhaust looks messy with the two 4" clamps but I have two frame mounts on the pipe for support. I am down on my knee to take the pic so probably most wont ever notice.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 PM

Sweet...Thanks for the pics!!

I thought on the bottle top NV4500's that the shifter, and lower stub, were one piece? Not like the 98 and newer NV4500's that have a bolt on shifter. So the handle will come off the lower stub, and how?

The exhaust looks good. Can you turn those clamps so that the bolt and thread are up? Personally I don't like those clamps, I use the big stainless band clamps. Makes it much easier down the road if you need to dismantle your exhaust for some reason. With the regular bar exhaust clamps it bend the pipes so they are very difficult...if not impossible, to seperate later.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want that ram charger how much?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:26 PM

Sorry DJ, there is already a seriously long list of friends and family who are begging for the chance to own it.

I know to most I come off as a shade tree mechanic. I can assure you, I have been buying up parts for this project for quit some time. Its something I have wanted since I was 16yrs old. Or 15yrs ago. I have put a lot of time, effort, and thought into building it as I wanted it. I am not done. I am thinking about doing a pickup truck tailgate conversion along with a first gen RC hatch. I have seen it done on other second gen RC's and think it works perfectly with the heavy duty theme. I have a mint condition red LE tailgate I bought up at Carlisle two years ago. I think it would look perfect on the back of this beast. Anyways, DJTurbo I appreciate the intrest but I dont think I will ever want to sell it. RAM
Old 10-23-2011, 03:00 PM

I hope this works as I have never uploaded a video before. I was able to get some fuel in the RC today and after it seemed something wasnt correct I finally figured out that I just didnt have enough fuel in it. I was so excited to hear it purr out the 4" exhuast. I dont have a video recorder so my cell phone was all I had to take. Sorry the sound is terrible but I assure you it sounded awesome
Old 10-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew that was gonna be your answer and I have a dream 1st gen build of my own that I have yet to see so hopefully in the next few years everything comes together!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anymore progress?

Wow an LE ramcharger with a bench seat, crazy!

Why you got the saddle cover on it?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 PM

Wow been a couple weeks since I checked in on this thread...Looking, and sounding good. Nice to hear it running.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:48 PM

Crossy, remember buckets/ console was an option on the RC's as well as club cabs. I think most were delivered with the 50/50 split back bench seats. I like the Saddle blanket material as its durable and easily cleaned. I also found them both (front and rear) pretty cheap. I think they look great with the clean interior. I havent decided yet if I will keep the bench front seat or swap to a spare set of captains I have. I am wanting this for a semi daily driver along with my 92 Shadow. But I also want it for tailgating at WVU football games. The bench seat would allow 6 grown adults to fit comfortably with plenty of room in the back for corn hole, coolers, and the grille. And if not I can slide the carry cart into the hitch for even more space. It would have been flat out perfect for my group when we headed down to College Park MD for that game. There was 5 of us and we ended up crammed into a Santa Fe with most of the gear up on top.

Cows, I have rebuilt the front driveshaft. Not easy doing the velocity joint by myself. Also I pulled the grille gaurd and factory bumper off. I am in the process of building my own custom front bumper. I have a heavy duty front bumper on my dually and love it. I am using 4" schedule 40 pipe as a base and another gaurd to match to it. My next part of this project is to finish pulling apart the front end. I started with the pass-side and quickly realized the dust shields could not be used over. Darn Mass winters took thier toll on them. So I stopped tearing them down. I figured no sense in tearing it all down and not knowing when I would get a chance to put it back together. I hope to have the front bumper done this weekend. And maybe Sun get the front end all the way down. I located a set of dust shields and they are almost here. Thanks everyone for the compliments. I have found everything works. The jumper wire I made for the factory 1992 diesel dash harness to mate up to the factory 1992 RC interior harness seems perfect. Anyways, I need to get busy on it. I cant wait to take this baby down the road. I want to hear the turbo through the straight 4" exhaust at 1800RPMS

Quick Reply: putting a 90 6bt into a 92 RC.