Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

Cummins Ramcharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My rear shaft with the thicker engine adapter plate for the 47RH, is right at 31 inches.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:59 PM

anytime you need to use a second engine hoist let me know its just sitting in my shop. give me a reason to stop by. sure don't want you getting squished with that much work ahead of you or a flat oil pan.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:03 PM
alwaysonDTR

or call me, i'm a little closer, but you'd have to plan ahead.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Worked on the rc some more today. A couple of days ago, I discovered that the tail housing was broken where it bolts to the Transfercase.

I took the tailhousing to alwaysworking. He will attempt to weld it up for me. He also has my Dana 60. He is welding on the new inner C in place of the one with the broken lower king pin.
Tiday, I killed my kdp. It was not out that much, but I was able to drive it in about an eight of an inch. Then I peened the case. Rhe most scary part was that te lower right (left when facing the front of the engine) case bolt was backing out. I could turn it with my fingers. I locktited and retorqued the case bolts. I was not able to get an timing case/crank seal (Memorial Day), I was not able to button it back up.
I worked on the power steering today as well. Since I am using the 1977 steering box and the ends are different than the 1992, I had to change some things. First, I used the 1977 low pressure line. This just hose clamped to the back of the pump. The problem lies with the high pressure line. After some study, it looks like I can cut back th steel part of the pump end of the 1993 hose, slip on the 1977 nut, and use a double flare tool to make a flare that will work with the old style pump and nut. Since I do not have a double flare tool, the completion of this part is on hold.
Also today, I removed the AC compressor and lines from the '92 ctd in the ramcharger and installed it on the '93 ctd that is still sitting in the donor frame but will go into the crewcab when the rc gets out of the shop.
Coming up, I will work on the fuel lines and patch a hole in the top of the tank where there used to be a vent. I plan to plumb the return into the fill tube vent.
Thats all for now, Eric
Old 05-27-2008, 12:41 AM
alwaysonDTR

we got the guts out, of it and is in the solvent tank, three snap rings and it falls apart.
i and going to bolt the housing to my 205 to keep all the parts where they need to be for welding.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:40 AM

always cool to see folks working for a common goal. nice job alwaysworking.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:54 PM
alwaysonDTR

found out today that the case is close to 50 bucks used and in stock no waiting just would have to drive to portland to get it.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Alwaysworking
found out today that the case is close to 50 bucks used and in stock no waiting just would have to drive to portland to get it.
Yeah. Thanks for finding that for me. That will be a better way to go.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:40 PM
alwaysonDTR

i'll go up and get it tomarrow, i need one anyway.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:08 AM

Had a little party in the shop yesterday. Alwaysworking and his dad brought me my new OD housing. Shortly after arriving, Confedpirate showed up in his new 1973 crewcab 4x4.

We put the overdrive back on and hung the transfercase. After moving the tranny crossmember back one holethen swapping the bracket end for end and monkeying around for a while, we finally pulled out the hot knife and slotted the holes in the crossmember in order to get things to mount up right.

I really appreciated the help and company. The np205 is a bear to wrangle yourself. Even when you have the body off.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:14 AM
alwaysonDTR

looks to me like you need to dirty up that OD housing. it doesn't match.

also i still like the dually ram charger idea, with a half cab, that would be cool and i have never even seen a dually RC
Old 06-01-2008, 04:41 PM
alwaysonDTR

what radiator are you going to use?
Old 06-02-2008, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Alwaysworking
what radiator are you going to use?
I have 1 radiator between the two projects. When I get to it, I will see if my 440 rad will work with the intercooler. Or I will use the one I have, and buy a new one for the crewcab.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:13 PM

Last weekend I played roulette with the front axles from both of my projects and a donor vehic. The half-ton full time out of the rc is now supporting the dually parts frame. The Dana 60 out of the dually frame is now under my crewcab conversion frame. And, the 3/4 ton Dana 44 from the cc is now in the holding up the ramcharger with the cummins. The d44 had 4:10 ot 11 gears and warn hubs, but is only temporary. When Alwaysworking is done with my broken Dana 60 single wheel with 3:54 gears, it will go in. I mainly did the swap now to get the 5" superlift springs under the rc.

Since installing this, I hooked up the power steering and drag link, installed the front drive line, hooked up the front brakes, swapped the fuel line from the right side to the left, and dropped the fuel tank.
To use the old style power steering lines that fit the old style steering box, I had to swap the fitting in the back of the ctd pump with one from a 70's vintage fitting. Once done, the old lines bolted right up.
The front drive line from the ctd donor fit the dana 44 with no modifications.
The brakes were the same story.
The fuel line moved over without incident. I still need to run a return line.
The fuel tank is pretty crudded up. The internals were rusty and there was about 4 gallons of nasty gas inside. Not sure where to go with it. I will see if I can find another guage sender and clean up the fill tube. Or, I may look for another, newer tank. I have an extra ctd sending unit, but I do not know if the guage sender would be compatible with the '77 guage in my dash. I suppose the sender is just a resister. Don't really know.
Thats the extent of the work for now.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:38 PM
alwaysonDTR

hint, hint, nudge , nudge.

Quick Reply: Cummins Ramcharger