Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

1990 F350 swap 12v nv4500

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 F350 swap 12v nv4500

I am using my dodge running gear nv4500 np241HD (dually) I am wondering how you guys hooked up the speed as the dodge is electric and the ford is a cable thanks for any help also does anyone have good access to a F350 7.3 engine wiring diagram?
Jason
Old 07-14-2009, 12:28 AM

its a trick!! ill tell u that much. i had to drill out the dodge speed sensor and then i put the ford speed sensor in there and then hooked up the cable like normal. i will have to take some pics and post them. pm me i have swapped over 2 diff trucks. 7.3 wiring diagram?? red wire goes to injection pump... lol red-white is oil pressure.. white-red is water temp sensor are you going to hook up the ac? ill help you out all i can. use the large driveshaft from the dodge and hook the small ford driveshaft in at the carrier bearing. works perfectly
Old 07-16-2009, 04:37 PM

thanks for the reply I had given up hope on DTR, cumminsforum has a little more activity. I got a speedo drive from a Jeep dana 300 that will work but has large male threads on it, wheras the ford hooks up with a clip. I got the mounts all welded up and am changing all the seals tonight.

The driveshafts I was going to run the dodge all the way but the carrier bearing on the dodge is to far back so one shaft would have to shortend and one lengthend. Did you use a conversion U joint to hook the 2 together what about the carrier bearing is it ford or dodge?

Another concern is what about the water in fuel light did you ever hook it up?
thanks
Old 07-16-2009, 09:11 PM

i never hooked up the water in fuel light. they do not make the conversion joint that you are looking for, that is why i said to use the ford driveshaft from the carrier back. you will have to shorten the front half of the rear driveshaft. you cannot make a driveshaft longer, you will have to buy a new tube or find a good longer one. if you use the ford driveshaft from the carrier back, you will not have to adjust the length and you will be one step ahead. the carrier bearing i used i think at first was the dodge one, then it went out and i put one from a ford on the front dodge driveshaft. i think the ford one works better altho either one can be used. the holes on the dodge carrier are closer together and a pain to put the bolts in. did you build your motor mounts so the motor sits a little over to the right from the middle of the truck? if not, you will have to **** the trans tailshaft to the side a little. but it is hard to make it stay there because it will always be trying to go back toward neutral. i have that problem with my truck.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 AM

Yea it a little to pass side should have a straight shot to the diff. I have never taken apart a carrier bearing I assume its just pressed on there? I might use the dana 80 out of the dodge better brakes and bigger rear end, I just need to measure the WMS on each. thanks for the reply