Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

1984 K5 Repower

Old 06-13-2008, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcolectd
Ok awesome I'll do that. I've been just hangin around aledo and weatherford lately but pm me your number and I might make a trip down to stephenville to check your truck out. Was it a pretty straight forward swap? Doesn't seem like itll be that tough. This is just a toy anyway so it doesn't have to be perfect and pretty. Not doin a/c or anything. I'm gonna be doin the build out at randys shop in cresson, so when I get started maybe you could stop by and lend us a hand
That will work. It is pretty straight forward with a few things in mind. I can point it all out when were are standing around the truck so it will make sense. I would love to help with a swap, but we are building a new house and shop right now so I have more to do than I can. I am paying to have my toys worked on lately. I might can cruise by a couple times to see how it is going or if ya get stuck on something. I have done a good deal of cross breed engine...tranny...chassis....body swaps so I can help you through anything that might come up.

I'll shoot a PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ahh good to see some guys from 4btswaps on here turbo s10 helped me a lot in my build. i did a k30 cummins repower. It is sweet. Yours looks awesome keep up the work
Old 06-13-2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1985cucv
ahh good to see some guys from 4btswaps on here turbo s10 helped me a lot in my build. i did a k30 cummins repower. It is sweet. Yours looks awesome keep up the work
How is your buggy running? Been in a mud pit with it yet?. I took mine in the mud(accidentally) a while back....too much work to clean up....But hogging 12x12 ruts at 45MPH(tire speed only ) was fun!
Old 06-13-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by turbos10
That will work. It is pretty straight forward with a few things in mind. I can point it all out when were are standing around the truck so it will make sense. I would love to help with a swap, but we are building a new house and shop right now so I have more to do than I can. I am paying to have my toys worked on lately. I might can cruise by a couple times to see how it is going or if ya get stuck on something. I have done a good deal of cross breed engine...tranny...chassis....body swaps so I can help you through anything that might come up.

I'll shoot a PM.
Well it'll be awhile before I'm ready to swap. I've gota get all my parts in order first, and I'm gonna go through and redo the engine too. I'd still like to come by and take a look at yours for some ideas though. Will a NP205 mate up to the 47RE? I can't decide what tranny to use, but that's what I've got right now so its either rebuild that one or put a 5 speed in
Old 06-13-2008, 03:16 PM

Well it'll be awhile before I'm ready to swap. I've gota get all my parts in order first, and I'm gonna go through and redo the engine too. I'd still like to come by and take a look at yours for some ideas though. Will a NP205 mate up to the 47RE? I can't decide what tranny to use, but that's what I've got right now so its either rebuild that one or put a 5 speed in
Anything can be done....depends on what you want to spend....

Honestly, I have not done the research, but I believe that it is relatively simple. You might have to do an input change and/or have an adapter made to go between the two. Don't quote me, but I think a first gen dodge NP205 will have the right spline count and possibly the base circle. But, there can be issues with the two not centering on the same size circle. I had this issue with mine and found a guy that made an adapter.

I used all GM from the engine back, but I think the dodge would have been a little cheaper. I tryed a TH400 first and ended up dropping a ton putting a well built 4L80 in.....it added up quick.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:09 AM

Let me know the progress and anything you can tell me that would be helpfull. I'm bout to start the same project with a 95 12 valve into an 82 K5. Any advice you can give me to make it easier would be greatly appreciated
I havent started puttin it back together just yet, should be a lot of fun to drive when it's finished though.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:27 AM

Bought me another donor truck! This one is a 87 K5 with a rebuilt 350 TBI, 82 D60 front and a 75 14 bolt rear, sm465/np205, tom woods front drive shaft and a six states rear drive shaft, ord steering brace, ord torsion bar quick disconnect and a manual tilt steering column for 1450.00. I have already sold the 350 for 500.00. I will sell the tranny and t-case also to help recover some cost. I ended up making 100.00 so far on the C30 donor truck and still have the tranny for sale. I will use the Dana 60 front on this and the steering column. It's startin to look like Sanford & son around here
Old 06-14-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I want that DANA 60!!!

haha, good going on the swapage
Old 06-16-2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by turbos10
Anything can be done....depends on what you want to spend....

Honestly, I have not done the research, but I believe that it is relatively simple. You might have to do an input change and/or have an adapter made to go between the two. Don't quote me, but I think a first gen dodge NP205 will have the right spline count and possibly the base circle. But, there can be issues with the two not centering on the same size circle. I had this issue with mine and found a guy that made an adapter.

I used all GM from the engine back, but I think the dodge would have been a little cheaper. I tryed a TH400 first and ended up dropping a ton putting a well built 4L80 in.....it added up quick.
Ya I thought about just using the tranny thats already there, and running a 14 bolt in the rear and a 60 up front. But that would mean buying an adapter to run the cummins with the tranny thats there, if that one would even hold, and also buyin a 14 bolt and a 60. But it would be cheaper for me to use the 47 out of the dodge and rebuild it, then take the d70 out of the dodge,and put new gears and a locker in it. My buddy at 4wheel parts has a dana 70 front axle he said I could have, so if I can make that work itd be awesome, but if not, i'll just use a d60 up front. I'm prolly gonna run 4:56s or 4:88s. Not sure yet. And I've still gotta find an np205 to use either way
Old 06-16-2008, 12:51 PM

I think if you could find a good first gen dodge, you would be way ahead on parts. If it is a toy, the no OD tranny would still be okay and you could rob everything from one chassis to put in another. It would come with the D70 rear and D60 front as well as the NP205. If you have an engine and dont need that, you could get a truck with the engine robbed for a little of nothing. I know where a wrecked 1st gen is for $2K. It has a getrag. I know a guy that has a few first gens for parts as well if you need something.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:39 PM

Ya if I could do that it would be awesome. Just gota find one for CHEAP. I'm trying to at least get this thing going for as little money as possible. I mean don't get me wrong, I definately wanna do it right, but I'm low on funds right now and don't have a lot to put into it. I do have 2 ten bolt rear axles, one with new 4:88s, and new seals, along with 1 d44 with new 4:88s, and new warn hubs, plus 2 ten bolt fronts to sell. And I've got a brand new 350, and a new tranny all to sell to get some cash. Some out of whats in the blazer right now and some that are sittn at home from past projects
Old 06-16-2008, 03:04 PM

Ya if I could do that it would be awesome. Just gota find one for CHEAP. I'm trying to at least get this thing going for as little money as possible. I mean don't get me wrong, I definately wanna do it right, but I'm low on funds right now and don't have a lot to put into it. I do have 2 ten bolt rear axles, one with new 4:88s, and new seals, along with 1 d44 with new 4:88s, and new warn hubs, plus 2 ten bolt fronts to sell. And I've got a brand new 350, and a new tranny all to sell to get some cash. Some out of whats in the blazer right now and some that are sittn at home from past projects
You may consider using a 4bt instead, sometimes When I'm broke I wish I would have looked a little harder for one cause then I could have stuck with the stock drive train and it would probably be on the road already. I just really wanted the performance of the 6bt
Old 06-16-2008, 04:39 PM

Ya same here. I'd rather have the power of the 6bt and it take a little longer. I'm in no hurry. Just wanna build a badassss toy and make it like I want it in the end, even if it takes a little more money and time
Old 07-04-2008, 10:06 PM

Well here is my best find to date, paid 500.00 for it.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:30 PM

Finished installing it today

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1984 K5 Repower