Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

1984 K5 Repower

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turbos10
It only took an hour to build a bracket for me to use the factory GM A/C and it took no frame notching or hose changes. There is a pic in my album. I have the freightliner brackets on my engine, but I am sure something similiar could be done with a dodge. I just was not crazy about notching the frame any more than needed. There are brake lines you will have to redo as well if you go that route.
I will say from personal experience on my 88 K5 (I broke the frame in half at the steering box), either box/ add a mtal plate on the inside of the frame/ and add the brace, the frames in that area are terribly weak especially w/ 1200lbs sitting over it. Also I'd add hydro assist steering on it much easier to steer and gives relief to the frame also.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hintz
I will say from personal experience on my 88 K5 (I broke the frame in half at the steering box), either box/ add a mtal plate on the inside of the frame/ and add the brace, the frames in that area are terribly weak especially w/ 1200lbs sitting over it. Also I'd add hydro assist steering on it much easier to steer and gives relief to the frame also.
Yea I have seen a few pictures on the net showing the frame craked on these trucks, so yea I will be boxing and adding stiffeners where I think necessary, also on my d44 front axel tubes.

Turbos10 has a good point on notching the frame for the ac, no sence in cutting where not needed, his setup looks great also. I have yet to see any pics. of a frame notch for a factory dodge ac comp. but from what I read it needs to be done and is common practice. I have both ac setups so I have options.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by sixb
Yea I have seen a few pictures on the net showing the frame craked on these trucks, so yea I will be boxing and adding stiffeners where I think necessary, also on my d44 front axel tubes.

Turbos10 has a good point on notching the frame for the ac, no sence in cutting where not needed, his setup looks great also. I have yet to see any pics. of a frame notch for a factory dodge ac comp. but from what I read it needs to be done and is common practice. I have both ac setups so I have options.
This guys truck is notched as cleanly as you could do it....still looks like more work than building a bracket.

http://home.houston.rr.com/redrocks/cummins%20swap.htm
Old 02-27-2008, 01:12 AM

The cummins seems awful heavy for a D44 for me, but I could be wrong. Why not just swap a 60 in there and not worry about it? Little more money now, peace of mind in the long run. Not just weight, but think of the torque of a cummins! That will be HARD on a 44.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ilikebikes
The cummins seems awful heavy for a D44 for me, but I could be wrong. Why not just swap a 60 in there and not worry about it? Little more money now, peace of mind in the long run. Not just weight, but think of the torque of a cummins! That will be HARD on a 44.
I agree, but as long as hes stays on the pavements he'll be alright
Old 02-27-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ilikebikes
Your are right but the d44 will have to do for a while, cause the d60 is about a grand around here. The tranny is my biggest concern now, money wise atleast.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by sixb
Your are right but the d44 will have to do for a while, cause the d60 is about a grand around here. The tranny is my biggest concern now, money wise atleast.
I hear ya there. Been looking for a chevy 60 front for my toyota and they've been going for over a grand!

Should be a cool swap. I look forward to seeing the progress.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:57 PM

We'll I have made a little progress.I bought a nv4500/np205 with all the adaptors for 1700.00 plus tax. and did a little horse trading with a member on here for parts off a 94 dodge with a nv4500. Also bought a 3rd gen manifold from a dtr member. There for a while I did'nt know what to do about the tranny now I have two My 4 year year old boy is having lots of fun on this project I hope to pull the drive train next week. Here are a few pics.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:59 PM

And a few more pics.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool build, I want to see more pics!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:18 PM

Almost ready to start putting it back togeather. I will build my own 2" body lift and install new body mounts next along with the new axels so I can put my new tires on. I traded some machine work for my new wheels and sold the old tires for 400.00 and bought new bfgs for 870.00 so my new tires are 470.00, not to bad.

Also need to remove the interior and the tranny hump. Reinforce the frame where I can and clean the undercarriage in preperation for some kind of rust protector, maybe por15 I think thats what it's called.

Here sre a few pics. of the k5
Old 05-05-2008, 07:39 AM

Been working to many hours at work to get anything done on the k5 lately, but have been doing lots of measuring, figuring & buying though. The 92 radiator & intercooler wil fit in the k5 with very little cutting and fab work Purchased a ORD weld on steering brace, new/used 2" bodylift, new body mounts, and a 87 C30 c&c truck for parts @ 400.00. It has the exact pedal assembly I need with the hydrolic clutch and hydro boost brakes, 2wd steering box if I go crossover/hydro assist on the steering, an extra core support, & 14 bolt rear. The TBI 350 & sm465 along with harness and computer I will try and sell for 300-500 dollars which run and shift perfect. I will also try and get 100-300 out of the front clip, minus the core support, which is also in great shape. I also sold my 6.2/700r4/np208 for 375.00 and the radiator for 20.00. Whats left of the C30 will be sold for scrap @ 160.00 a ton
Old 06-13-2008, 12:12 PM

Let me know the progress and anything you can tell me that would be helpfull. I'm bout to start the same project with a 95 12 valve into an 82 K5. Any advice you can give me to make it easier would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-13-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by mcolectd
Let me know the progress and anything you can tell me that would be helpfull. I'm bout to start the same project with a 95 12 valve into an 82 K5. Any advice you can give me to make it easier would be greatly appreciated
If you are in S'ville, feel free to look me up. You can crawl all over my truck and see what is involved. There are a few little things and decisions you need to make up from before you start....tranny/tcase combo to start. Lemme know if you need any help.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:10 PM

Ok awesome I'll do that. I've been just hangin around aledo and weatherford lately but pm me your number and I might make a trip down to stephenville to check your truck out. Was it a pretty straight forward swap? Doesn't seem like itll be that tough. This is just a toy anyway so it doesn't have to be perfect and pretty. Not doin a/c or anything. I'm gonna be doin the build out at randys shop in cresson, so when I get started maybe you could stop by and lend us a hand

Quick Reply: 1984 K5 Repower