Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

tractor pulling

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tractor pulling

i have a minneapolis moline g-1000. it originally came with a roosamaster injection pump but i have converted it to have a bosch a-pump off of a 4430 john deere. anyway the problem is that the pump has been rebuilt and "turned-up" yet with the turbocharger setup i am running it isnt smoking hardly at all. correct me if im wrong but if i dont have much smoke, dont i still need more fuel. dont get me wrong, the tractor had 110 hp stock and is now making 220 hp, its doubling the horsepower but i think it should be capable of more.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I think the G1000 Vista's are great looking tractors.
I don't know anything about pulling tractors but I wonder if the injectors are large enough to take advantage of your pump improvements?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:17 PM

Bigger injectors are needed to keep up with the extra fuel
Old 10-10-2008, 03:42 PM

I have to think the injectors could be the problem as well. I know you are going to be limited on the stock ones with a HP double. I also like the G1000's. I have been dabling with antique pulling for a few years now; I have a turbocharged M farmall making in the 400-450HP range. Actually going pulling tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:31 PM

g1000

+1 thinkin your trying to push lots mure fuel through same small injectors.
id put a 585 direct injection engine it it, thered be lots more potential.
mine had 938ci gaser non turbo ran 4000+ rpms and made over 400hp.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:16 PM

we are having the same problem with a moline that i am helping a friend work on. the problem is the type of injection that the injectors are, you wont get a whole lot more out of the engine untill you go with a direct injected engine which is what we are going to do. are you running a 400 cc pump or bigger, the one my friend had was a 370 and we changed to a 500 and it just got a little better, also your turbo might be a little to big as well. just some thought.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:57 PM

where can the bigger injectors be purchased from? i havent ever seen any. i was told that with the "energy cell" injection system larger injectors would just dump an excess amount of raw ful without any atomization. as far as the 585, i have one out of 2-150 white that is going to be put into another g-100 or possibly GB. but for now i want to make as much power ou of the stock 504 before it breaks the crankshaft. thanks
Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 PM

his were just drillled out at the end of the tips, yeah you just cant do a whole lot with that engine, i do know that we moved the cam shaft two teeth and he was able to run 3rd high pretty easy, we are just battling high exhaust temps right now.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:55 PM

I wouldn't drill the tips....'jes have to do more searching...I've been looking on the net...maybe someone has been there/done that on the ATPA or NTPA sites.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:08 PM

Here's an interesting MM place,

http://members.sitegadgets.com/Fiorelli/board.html
Old 10-13-2008, 07:51 PM

good luck i talked to alot of pump shops i even talked to columbus diesel the biggest pulling supply place and no one makes bigger tips for those. you have to be really careful with them because if the stream doesnt come out of them right then you dont get a good atomization. by the way atpa is no longer, it is now ppl (pro pulling leauge) been that way for two or three years now.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by mopower01
i have a minneapolis moline g-1000. it originally came with a roosamaster injection pump but i have converted it to have a bosch a-pump off of a 4430 john deere. anyway the problem is that the pump has been rebuilt and "turned-up" yet with the turbocharger setup i am running it isnt smoking hardly at all. correct me if im wrong but if i dont have much smoke, dont i still need more fuel. dont get me wrong, the tractor had 110 hp stock and is now making 220 hp, its doubling the horsepower but i think it should be capable of more.
Would you happen to have any pictures of that conversion? I have 3 G1350's at home and have thought about putting an A pump on one of them. One does have the factory high altitude turbo on it.

I have a friend of mine running a 400cc A pump off a deutz, 10mm plungers I think, on a 466 in his 4430. I don't know how much fuel you can squeeze out of your pump. I'm not sure how an energy cell setup will handle more fuel with stock nozzle sizes.

Originally Posted by kruegerlouie
+1 thinkin your trying to push lots mure fuel through same small injectors.
id put a 585 direct injection engine it it, thered be lots more potential.
If you can keep all the parts inside the engine.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tingram
his were just drillled out at the end of the tips, yeah you just cant do a whole lot with that engine, i do know that we moved the cam shaft two teeth and he was able to run 3rd high pretty easy, we are just battling high exhaust temps right now.
is that still the stock cam? did you advance the cam, or retard it? i was told that a cam out of a gas/propane tractor would have a longer duration for the intake valves than a diesel. the last pull i competed in i pulled in 4th high and spun out. the tractor weighs around 10000 lbs.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tingram
we are having the same problem with a moline that i am helping a friend work on. the problem is the type of injection that the injectors are, you wont get a whole lot more out of the engine untill you go with a direct injected engine which is what we are going to do. are you running a 400 cc pump or bigger, the one my friend had was a 370 and we changed to a 500 and it just got a little better, also your turbo might be a little to big as well. just some thought.
i dont know for sure how many cc's this pump produces but it is off of a case tractor and it has 10mm plungers.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:48 PM

what are you runnng for a turbo and what size exhaust housing? my friend is running a 370 cc pump right now it came off of a case. the original a pumps off of a john deere are capable of up to 800cc's if built right but i dont think that they are very dependable. the cam from the factory is in at 108 degree center line and we moved it to 98 degree, it likes the top end alot better now, the lightest my buddy runs is 11000, he still has all the cast centers and heavy stuff.

Quick Reply: tractor pulling