Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

Pulling with nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling with nitrous

Anyone ever use nitrous on your truck for sled pulling how hard is it on engine chargers and headgaskets?
Old 07-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Banned

I can't imagine it would be very good for them. It might be to much of a sudden hit and cause the tires to break loose or break parts. If you could get it to come on progressively instead of all at once then it would probably be alright. Still not that great on parts though.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:47 PM

It is ILLEGAL, make hp with #2 and H2O
Old 07-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nitrous is harder on parts compared to what? I think that is a very old school way of thinking......since you are introducing much more cool oxygen without having to add any additional boost and can actually be easier on a motor than boosting it to the moon.
I run a 200 hp shot of spray on my 454 in my Jeep that bumps the power up to around 600 hp....if I had to add a blower or a turbo to it instead of spray, I would have to build a very stout (expensive) bottom end to hold up to 600 supercharged hp and run it on rocket fuel....but the Nitrous eliminates the need for running ultra heavy duty, exotic parts because when set up properly, it just isn't as hard on the motor......it is also great for controlling egt's.

Nitrous is just like any other power enhancer (like a turbo) - it works well when used properly but when you get greedy for more power and it gets misused....well, that is when the fireworks start!!!
Old 07-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Banned

Nitrous on a gasser is just as hard on parts as a turbo or a supercharger. All 3 are artificially adding more air and fuel into a space that's not designed for that kind of power. I know several people who run blowers/superchargers and they don't need a stout bottom end. They are still running the factory engine. The kits of today are designed around factory engines and are designed to be completely safe unless you start getting wild with it. When set up properly, a supercharger or turbo is very safe. I also don't like nitrous because it's an instant hit. You jump from 300hp at 3000rpm to 500hp at 3100rpm(just for reference). With a blower you add boost as RPM increases so it's not such a big hit on the engine. That in my book is much safer than an instant 200 shot of nitrous. A 454 will also handle more boost than a V6. Try spraying a 200 shot on a stock bottom ended V6 car and see how long it lasts. I'm not arguing that nitrous isn't a great power adder because it is. I'm just saying that I don't like the sudden hit of nitrous. It's to violent for me. Not to mention that nitrous requires you run premium fuel just like a supercharger or turbo, run cooler plugs, and retard timing at the least. A full on dyno tune would really help save your engine but the same goes for the other two as well.

Now that's gasser related which is where my nitrous experience is based. Diesel are slightly different. You won't gain as much from nitrous on a diesel as you would a gasser but you are still adding power which is hard on parts. Yes nitrous cools stuff off and helps burn unburnt fuel, but so does water. But unless you slowly bring it on, nitrous is still an instant hit and that's very hard on parts. Even on a fully forged motor like the cummins.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:37 PM

Pretty much what CTD and 'Blue said... I've been running n2o FAR prior to "The Fast and the Furious" . There are a few progressive controllers on the market for vehicles with ignitions that pulse the solenoids at set slope from beginning of flow to 100% flow. They ARE nice. Then there's dual or triple stage kits which require a set of solenoids and nozzle(s) for each stage... They can be manually controlled or run off of rpm/hobbs/window/progressive controller switches. Now that I've said that... Dry set ups (as used in diesel apps.) "hit" MUCH MUCH MUCH more softly than a wet manifold or direct port kit... I don't currently squeeze my CTD, but I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to do so.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by 24valvepuller
It is ILLEGAL, make hp with #2 and H2O
Water injection is also ILLEGAL at some pulls and there are plenty of people running nos on there diesel pulling trucks. I dont like nos but if it is allowed more power too ya.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:26 AM

i don't know of any class in pulling that allows nitrous,propane or methanol. pure water is usually allowed in all the classes except for the street class
Old 07-07-2005, 11:04 AM

nitrous is nothing more than turbo in a bottle. many places run pulls that are run what cha brung, and hope ya brought enough. i don't run nitrous, and probably never will. i like the drug free approach.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:58 PM

You won't gain as much from nitrous on a diesel as you would a gasser
Hmmm.......

I have made over 300 HP on a cummins using nitrous, it could have made more with a better headgasket setup.

Doug
Old 07-09-2005, 06:40 PM

If you added nitrous pre-intercooler would it aid in lowering egt's much? What about power gains, would you see much?
Old 07-09-2005, 07:31 PM

Nitrous will lower intake air charge temps quite a bit....... But due to the added fuel burn and increased cylinder pressure egt's normally rise. As for power gains, they can be high dependent on the amount of unburned fuel you have available and the nitrous setup you have.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jetpilot
Hmmm.......

I have made over 300 HP on a cummins using nitrous, it could have made more with a better headgasket setup.

Doug
That's what I was told. I've never had any experience with nitrous on a diesel. I would imagine that if you made an extra 300hp on a diesel with nitrous that that engine was seriously overfueled and you basically just opened the bottle directly into the intake. Hmm. I wonder how big a shot that is.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:39 AM

The 300+ HP was done with a single stage .157 solenoid running through a couple custom fogger nozzles....... The setup has 2 solenoids so there was a lot of spray left if I could have kept things together. This setup also has a boost switch and WOT switch to ensure proper activation of the NX progressive controller.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:31 PM

Jetpilot is a legend..... waiting for a challenger............

Quick Reply: Pulling with nitrous