Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

NV5600 or built 47 auto hold more power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NV5600 or built 47 auto hold more power?

been building my future truck in my head...

been really considering a p-pumped 24v... mainly because I can get a 6sp and disk brakes... I figure the added costs of doing a p-pump swap will offset what it would cost to do a 6sp and rear disk conversion on a 12v truck. and my chances of finding a white QC SB 4x4 in an 01.5-02 are higher than finding a 98.4

my goal is 700-800rwhp. not really concerned w/ drag racing, just want a good highway roller/dyno queen and I love manual trannies...

but if an auto will hold the power better, I may lean that way...

Forrest
Old 06-29-2005, 09:06 PM

6 spd
Old 06-29-2005, 11:27 PM

don't forget about upgrading that auto add about $5000 for that. why do you want a 6 speed, a 5 speed will hold the same. it would be alot cheaper to buy a 12v and convert it to a 5speed
Old 06-30-2005, 07:17 AM

Manual will be cheaper to go with.
Auto will be nicer to drive around and "FEEL" the horsepower.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:20 AM
Banned

why would I convert to 5sp? I would just buy a 5sp truck...

I was under the impression a 6sp would hold more power than a 5sp... I would actually prefer a 5sp.

and yes, I would be having the auto fully built... I figure a dual disk and tranny rebuild will cost me a few grand easy... a built auto isn't THAT much more. and if it's going to hold the power better and have a better warranty, I would seriously consider that option.

Forrest
Old 06-30-2005, 08:09 AM

well if i had it to do again, i would have gone with the auto up front. by the time i bought a 6 speed,dual disk clutch, and got the driveshafts right. i could have bought a really nice auto.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:15 AM
MDW

One of the things about auto's VS manuals is that the manual will need a very aggresive clutch to handle the power which makes the trucks drivability suffer badly.
There are auto's out there holding the power you are talking about. I just got finished building one to hold that kind of power. Now I have to wait and see if he can break it
The trans has the manners of a stock truck until you romp on it then hold on
I have driven some very aggresive clutches and some high HP auto's, no comparison in my mind. Ever backed up a trailer with a 700hp clutch
Old 06-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Banned

Mike, that's what I'm thinkin'... if I give up on the short bed, it opens the door to a lot of other years to shop from... and since I'd also be giving up the 6sp, why not just do a big bad automatic...

find a higher mile truck that's got a mushy tranny, do the tranny, put a buck-nasty injection pump on it w/ some big injectors, put a disk brake D80 out back and get to work

just don't know if I can give up that "truck" sound/feel, but I think it might be the best way to go in the long run...

a 2 wheel low kit makes parking a big trailer much easier, but yes, I know what you mean!

Forrest
Old 06-30-2005, 08:47 AM
Banned

also, MDW,

any distinct advantages to the 47RE vs. the 47RH? the injection pump is getting fully built, so a 160 pump doesn't scare me... and I could probably save some good money by going w/ a 94-95, but if I'm going to be at a disadvantage w/ the RH vs. the RE, I'll go 96+

thanks!

Forrest
Old 06-30-2005, 10:37 AM

The 6 speed will hold a lot more for a lot less and still be driveable. Mine 6 speed is bone stock with only a HMR double disk to transfer the power. It's really no less driveable than a stocker... only a little more pedal pressure. 1500 vs 6000 is a strong motivator IMO.

John
Old 06-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Banned

I'm lookin' for 700+ on straight diesel... preferably 800+...

and then water/alky on top...

you gotta factor in the cost of the truck as well...

a 6sp truck w/ rear disks is gonna be a lot more expensive than a 96-98 automatic, then there's the cost of a P-pump conversion and custom injectors vs. just dropping a few grand on a built pump and sick sticks...

figure a $7-8k truck vs. a $13-15k truck... the money saved buys the built automatic, and the cost for fueling mods is less because no conversion is necessary.

adding rear disks seems cheaper/easier than p-pumping a 24v...

I will not swap a 6sp to a 5sp truck... I'll just start w/ 6sp and disks off the bat and P-pump it...

and as an added bonus with the auto, I'd actually be able to make a showing at the drag strip

I really love hand shakers, but...

Forrest
Old 06-30-2005, 11:01 AM

well forrest i keep looking for a 00 to 01 1/2 ton short bed, a cummins will drop right in, and i can keep my power steering,air and cruise. i think it would make a killer street/strip tuck and get great miliage. and since i have a 02 chassis at the house i have all the goodies to make it happen. hey give me a call back, i lost your #
Old 06-30-2005, 03:12 PM

Forrest, that built auto for 700+ HP, is a whole lot more than 2K. The Output shaft on the 47RH is beefier than the 47RE. Not sure anyone is making a billet replacement for the 47RH.

If you are even thinking of racing it, do the auto. The 96-98 autos are probably easier to find, but what about an 01.5 auto, with the rear disks.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Banned

Fred, I'm budgeting $5k for the tranny... I figure an 01.5-02 auto would cost a fair amount more than a 96-98 auto... I figure a rear disk swap would be cheaper than a p-pump swap... and I'm going to be wanting to swap in a D80 with either truck anyhow.

with the 12v, I'll just buy a built pump and some injectors and call it a day... the 24v p-pump sounds like more of a headache each time I look at it.

it's one of those things where you want a manual tranny... and it's a big party till you get up in the 500-600hp range... and then when you're in the 700-800 range, you're thinkin' "man, I wish I had an automatic in this thing"

I love a stick equipped dyno queen, but I'd like to be able to shut some people up at the track too...

Forrest
Old 06-30-2005, 04:52 PM

If you watch and are ready to pull the trigger good built trannies can be bought right. I gave a thousand for the one in my wifes 02 out of a wrecked truck with billet shafts and multi-disk convertor. It only had two weeks on it when the guy wrecked it. I would really like to try a 24v with a p-pump but for now the old 97 is taking care of all my hp. needs plus I think there is a new 6.0 kinda wanting a piece of the old work truck. He don't know the twins are about done and I'm not going to tell him. If I were you I'd go with the built auto and it would be nice to find a weak vp truck to p-pump. I forgot to add,I twisted the shaft coming out of the overdrive off in mine. Guess it didn't like power braking at 30 to 35 lbs. of boost. Good luck Forrest

Quick Reply: NV5600 or built 47 auto hold more power?