Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

Lets brainstorm for a minute here...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets brainstorm for a minute here...

Ok, lets say we have a very light (but strong) chassis, with some old chevy or ****** fiberglass body on it. And a 12v cummins under the hood running some wicked twins setup (like a silverbullet on top and a Phat B. on bottom) Lets also say the motor will rev to 5k (if needed?) and some awesome built auto tranny behind a 12v that has everything that could possibly be done to it done right. What would it run the 1/4 in? i want something stupid fast......
Old 12-15-2006, 06:01 PM

8 or 9 seconds. i m just guessing.
would be sweet though!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:19 PM

First of all anything that runs in the 10's is crazy fast. It would be alot easier to start off with like a 94 or 95 reg. cab long bed truck and then strip it.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris Blevins
First of all anything that runs in the 10's is crazy fast. It would be alot easier to start off with like a 94 or 95 reg. cab long bed truck and then strip it.
I know what he is up to..

its gonna be sweet when hes done, I aint talkin tho....

Rick
Old 12-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Blevins
Huh?!? I almost broke 8, and I was still getting beat... (in a gasser)

10's are my naptime!!

Just kidding about 10's being slow. My attention has been captivated...
Old 12-15-2006, 07:41 PM

Well several guys out there are working on something similiar.... Plan on BIG DOLLARS. I would estimate 20K-30K on the motor alone. Heck a good p-pump will run $3500-$6000 by itself! Then you have the tranny, and everything else......

It can be done but be prepared for carnage along the way as well. All I can say is Bryan if you build it I get a ride.

Doug
Old 12-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Registered

oh chris, a 94 or 95 dont have character! i want an old body with style and "pazzaz"

i would give rides (after you sign my disclamer....) to anybody that wanted one.

I just dont quite know what to do for a rear end?? maybe a narrowed D80 with big ole slicks and a wheelie-bar, oh and a parachute. 8" stack out the hood. Heck ya! id like to run an 8 ET or better......

so lets say we got 50k in the drivetrain and 25k in the chassis and body. That aint bad...

i need another job...
Old 12-15-2006, 10:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just stuff a CTD in a rail - like the Scheid's dragster.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Registered

nah, i want to drive this thing on the street every once-in-a-while. this thing will run from stop light to stop light sometimes.....
Old 12-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Registered

how much carnage we talkin about here? i can handle u-joints and twisted driveshafts but do yall expect broken shafts in the transmission and axle shafts and stuff like that? blow the head off the motor?

oh and how high can i rev this thing? whats needed and wheres the point of major damage?
Old 12-16-2006, 01:07 AM

as for the rear end, my buddy used a duce n a half rear, and a solid tungsten drive shaft.- I'll sign the disclaimer
Old 12-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Registered

that would be a lot of weight though....
Old 12-16-2006, 08:48 AM

I would like to build a chassis rig but base it on a 30s Dodge truck body. AKA Street rod style. Maybe try and get it to hook on 33x10.5W tires so it will look like a psuedo street machine without the huge narrowed rearend under it. I'd probably use a Dana 80. I know their heavy but they will hold the power especially with a locker and aftermarket axles. Not sure whether a 4 link or a ladder bar setup would work the best for the torque issues. And I would probably use a 3rd gen engine with hopes of the rpm limit being fixed before long. No twins for me. I like the large 71mm singles or bigger with a good 2 stage nitrous system. No need for an intercooler on a race truck. Cool it with nitrous. I'm thinking lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 12-16-2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by mcoleman
I would like to build a chassis rig but base it on a 30s Dodge truck body. AKA Street rod style. Maybe try and get it to hook on 33x10.5W tires so it will look like a psuedo street machine without the huge narrowed rearend under it. I'd probably use a Dana 80. I know their heavy but they will hold the power especially with a locker and aftermarket axles. Not sure whether a 4 link or a ladder bar setup would work the best for the torque issues. And I would probably use a 3rd gen engine with hopes of the rpm limit being fixed before long. No twins for me. I like the large 71mm singles or bigger with a good 2 stage nitrous system. No need for an intercooler on a race truck. Cool it with nitrous. I'm thinking lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I like that idea!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Banned

You may think I'm nuts, but a Ford 9" rear can be built to withstand just about any power level you can imagine. You aren't gonna be pulling a trailer or loading the bed down with 2 tons so you really don't need a super strong housing like a D80, you just need it to stay together when the turbos hit. Trophy trucks run about 750-800 hp and fly through the desert at speeds sometimes above 100mph, and almost all of them run built 9 inch rears. Ford 9" rears can be converted to a full floating design ( and still keep a 5 lug pattern ), parts are fairly easy to get ( including axles up to 45 spline ), and are much smaller and lighter then a D80. For a street rod type project I think it is the best choice.

Quick Reply: Lets brainstorm for a minute here...