Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

how about CTD v. CTD

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how about CTD v. CTD

ok i got a new one which would win between my roommates 24v short bed AT 4x4 CTD v. my long bed ext cab. 4x4 97 12v he has no mods i have a 100 plate and a BHAF and advanced timing but i could slide the 100 back a little to make it more fair but he insists he would drag me all over town even with the plate foward i say yeah right

oh and by the way i have 4:10' he has 3:55's
Old 02-03-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why not stop speculating and hook 'em. that ought to settle the issue.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:49 PM

i know but he just left for the weekend till wendsday i'll have to try and talk him in to it when he gets back
Old 02-03-2006, 09:02 PM

Show him up then He's not that powerfull. 235hp 460tq.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Banned

If you lose I'll be surprised. Especially if he's stock.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:22 AM

that's what i kee ptelling him
Old 02-04-2006, 08:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wouldn't you pull him because you have more weight? I used to pull quite well with an 82 Ford shortbed with a 300" six cyl. Sure the 300 has good torque, but the main thing is traction, and weight helps traction. I wouldn't hesitate to hook up bumper to bumper to anything I thought comparable in wieght, and most of the time I won because even if I was a little lighter, I kept traction while the other guy was smoking the tires. I did lose to a blazer one night, though. He had more power, but he also had more weight.
Later I used to put a piece of steel, 36"x36"x1" in the bed, for a little extra weight. It definitely helped.

Chris
Old 02-04-2006, 08:52 AM

Just hold your brakes until he starts spinning his tires and then drag him around the block..... Hooking two trucks together and trying to drag each other is not a good way to determine power, its just a good way to break something. A better solution would be to go to a dyno, stap on and see who has the most power.

Doug
Old 02-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Chapter President

OF course we will need pictures or video for proof
Old 02-04-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stamey
Wouldn't you pull him because you have more weight? I used to pull quite well with an 82 Ford shortbed with a 300" six cyl. Sure the 300 has good torque, but the main thing is traction, and weight helps traction. I wouldn't hesitate to hook up bumper to bumper to anything I thought comparable in wieght, and most of the time I won because even if I was a little lighter, I kept traction while the other guy was smoking the tires. I did lose to a blazer one night, though. He had more power, but he also had more weight.
Later I used to put a piece of steel, 36"x36"x1" in the bed, for a little extra weight. It definitely helped.

Chris

Exactly my thoughts

what good is 1000 HP with 2000 ft lbs of TQ if you cannot put it down to the ground? Ive hooked three times, one to a chevy gasser 6.0, no weight, no problems, he spun his tires and i hardly knew he was back there, the second time, bein some kid with a "supercharged" z 71 on 38's etc etc... Again same issue, but this time i had a ton of corn in the bed. I also hooked a 6.0 powerstroke, they are dead under 2000 RPMS, BUT i did air down my tires slightly and again, had some horse feed in the bed (500 lbs or so) and in all honesty the owner did not know how to build boost on the truck and even tho it did somewhat pull me, the much lower end grunt on the cummins just brought him back.

I did however get my butt handed to me the fourth time, against a third gen dually 4wd. i had no weight, we were in dirt, and he had duals, and mud tires for that matter (MTR's if i recall correctly) Clearly he had more mass, and as soon as both dug down he just came back with me..

Moral of the story, it sucks to lose But it was funny how he did not wanna hook on concrete, while i was attempting to air down my tires... hehehehehe

Regardless, if you have good differentials, which u should, some weight, and good traction. you will be ok.

John Rodriguez has hooked and pulled more people than i have sideways, and ill give it to him, hell pull me sideways too. (i aint hooked with him) he might chime in later and give his advise..

Tx
Old 02-04-2006, 12:16 PM

You've got a longer wheelbase and a lift - my money's on you. As said above, the key is power to the ground, which requires traction. Load up on weight beforehand, and if you can, use a big drop hitch flipped upside down to get your hook point as high as possible. By the way, if you do hook to hitches, pull the ***** and use d-rings, as those ***** can snap off and become projectiles under this kind of loading.

Chris
Old 02-04-2006, 05:55 PM

Do you all you guys that do this have auto trannys? I've often wondered how this would be done with a 6spd. If it can be done with a 6spd (or any manual for that matter), what gear do you start in? Do you stay in that gear or do you have to shift during the pull? Sounds challenging.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a granny 4 speed in my old Ford. I just pulled off like I was towing heavy.

Chris
Old 02-04-2006, 08:18 PM

hookin bumpers has nothing to do with power, its all about weight and traction, ive watched a 96 chevy 1ton diesel pull my brother in his 2005, and i know he had the chevy killed in horsepower.

hookin up manuals just depends on how extreme u want to go, if you just want to prove u can pull him first gear on the low side, if you want to murder him hook up in 2nd or 3rd low side and drag him about 100 yards or so, but hes going to be one ****** off mother when u stop (so dont do this to anyone bigger than you).
Old 02-05-2006, 01:39 AM

I think auto's are better for this kind of pulling. With a manual; just put it in a low gear, wait till the other person starts to spin, and then slowly get them going backwards. They have no chance once you get them moving. Weight/traction is the key factor in this though. My dad hooked his truck to my uncles Isuzu trooper(stock with street tires) in the grass one year at thanksgiving. It was a little wet, and they both just sat their and spun since both had street tires. This year my cousin wanted to hook my dad(my truck was down at the time ) with his 90's XJ jeep with a 4 inch lift, some 31 inch MT's, rear locker, and a few other mods. So we hooked them up in the grass again(dry this time), and got ready. I had dads truck in 4 low, in 1st gear; and he is an automatic and was in 4 low. My uncle said go; and i held the brakes; waited for him to spin, and then NEVER touching the gas at all proceeded to drag him backwards. All i could see behind me was dirt flying everywhere from his tires . I was going to get out, and let the truck keep pulling him, and walk around to his jeep, and wave at him , but we stopped before I had time to. Wasnt a fair match; but I seriously think he thought he could pull dads truck, and I showed him different I will be hooking him with my truck this year, and the dirt will fly I hooked my buddies 03 6.0 gas Chevrolet ext cab 4x4 short bed in the grass, and he had about 1k lbs of suitcase weight, and we both just sat there and spun; but it was fun to try. I dont make a habit out of hooking people, but it is fun every now and then. BTW; if i hook my cousins jeep this year; I will get video

Eric

Quick Reply: how about CTD v. CTD