Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

how about CTD v. CTD

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kman9090
, if you want to murder him hook up in 2nd or 3rd low side and drag him about 100 yards or so, but hes going to be one ****** off mother when u stop (so dont do this to anyone bigger than you).
That is exactly how i do it

I use the sled pull technique...

Tx
Old 02-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Tire Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, first off holding your brakes and waiting for them to spin is lame, and will make you seem like a cat infront of witnesses. I've hooked before, in mud, to a chevy gasser on 36x14" mudders, and I was on BALD michellins in back (from the carshowburnout.wmv) and I won. I tried in 4lo but the tranny got hot and started slipping. We went again, this time in 4lo. The strap was tight, but not fully preloaded (to my advantage). I built around 8psi of boost in 4lo (VERY VERY VERY HARD TO DO) and the 2" of slack that came out of the strap was enough to get that chevy yanked backwards once we went. He ended up getting wheelhop / axlewrap and broke his rear ujoint, the loss of power going to the rear made the engine over-rev or something like that, and fire came out from the bottom of his truck (no idea what it was). Anyhow, never use the brakes and wait, that's girl-stuff. Go as hard as you can from the begining and hope you get the momentum (1" makes a huge difference in strap-preload). Hope this clarifies it a little bit.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:56 AM

So it sounds like you wanna be in 4lo and start in 2nd or 3rd gear? I'm assuming that you don't worry about shifting...just keep pulling the gear you start with?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:11 AM

I start in 3rd 4hi get the strap tight put it to the floor and dump it. The guy I pulled like this was running his mouth about his 04 so I ripped him a new one... Now he has tranny problems
Old 02-15-2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by John Rodriguez
Well, first off holding your brakes and waiting for them to spin is lame, and will make you seem like a cat infront of witnesses.
You do what you want, but you arent the one thats going to look like a fool when you just ease them backwards like nothin is there, and dont break anything in the process. I tried the WOT thing once when I hooked my buddy. I can tell you one thing. A drivetrain wont last very long treated like that. They hop, bounce,and jerk like cazy. You are trying to win; not break your truck(at least im not). Plus, anytime you start spinning; you have lost traction. If you can keep traction, and slowly get them rolling backwards while they are spinning because they went WOT right when the flag was dropped, then you have them without a doubt. In mud; wheel speed is key, but not necesarilly on dirt/grass. Its not worth me breaking something to win. I have to drive this truck everyday.

Eric
Old 02-15-2006, 10:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The thing that keeps me from hooking nowadays is my paint. My truck has nice paint on it, and I don't want a bunch of rocks, dirt, etc being thrown on my truck from the guy that's spinning his wheels at 50mph as he tries to pull me. This was one thing that stopped my from pulling in my old truck. When I bought it the paint was average, and needed work, and I did not care. More than once was my truck coated in dirt from the other guy. Heck, I had to pull with the windows up because they'd throw the dirt so hard it bounced off my mirriors and into my lap.
After I repainted that truck (over 1K in just paint supplies) I wasn't gonna see if I could let some other guy scratch it.

Something else to ponder before you hook. (at least the sled doesn't throw the dirt back)

Chris
Old 02-16-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
You do what you want, but you arent the one thats going to look like a fool when you just ease them backwards like nothin is there, and dont break anything in the process. I tried the WOT thing once when I hooked my buddy. I can tell you one thing. A drivetrain wont last very long treated like that. They hop, bounce,and jerk like cazy. You are trying to win; not break your truck(at least im not). Plus, anytime you start spinning; you have lost traction. If you can keep traction, and slowly get them rolling backwards while they are spinning because they went WOT right when the flag was dropped, then you have them without a doubt. In mud; wheel speed is key, but not necesarilly on dirt/grass. Its not worth me breaking something to win. I have to drive this truck everyday.

Eric
My thoughts exactly...

clutches, drivetrain parts and so forth arent cheap, and makin it look easy by being smart is the way to go if you ask me, even if it means holding the brakes, and not breaking traction..

Tx
Old 02-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Tire Hater

But you guys don't understand holding the brakes is not an option when there are people around. It makes you look bad. I've been in the stands when they are going on and the fans always look down and talk bad about those who use their brakes. Also, I don't know about you guys, but I'm willing to bet 3 37x12.5" tires spinning at 30-40mph will pull alot harder than babying the clutch. Also assuming that your brakes will hold said truck in place. If you stand on the brakes and the guy has the traction + power, you're going backwards sliding your tires and you have lost as well.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:29 PM

i went through the whole thread and no video??
Old 02-17-2006, 07:08 PM

Holding the brakes well do nothing but cause you to have flat spots on your tires, trust me , truck with most weight and best traction usualy wins this event, the guy with the most power just makes it look cool with all 4 of his tires smokin.

Coolest thing i've done was when me in my brother hooked up, when we both took off we just sat there in a stand still with both trucks spinning all 4, there was alot of tire smoke, i wish i could of got that on video.