Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

Duramax Now Fastest Truck In World

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats the fastest duramax in a actual fullsize chevy truck?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:38 PM

anyone notice how bank$ has yet to hook to a sled (at least that I know of)?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Box5
whats the fastest duramax in a actual fullsize chevy truck?
9.84. I forget the mph. extended cab 4x4.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:03 AM

Seems to me that outta the box, the Duramax is a better engine in the heads but lacks the bottom end strength of the Cummins. Is that why so many race or really high HP Duramaxes are fully built with cranks, rods, pistons and even now modded heads? If someone developed a REALLY good flowing head for the "B" with the rest of the motor being built like a bank vault out of the box like it is, then--------hey we might see our beloved motor hold its records much longer than it already has. As it is, it looks as though the Duramax is coming up fast............
Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by EMD-RUN8
Seems to me that outta the box, the Duramax is a better engine in the heads but lacks the bottom end strength of the Cummins. Is that why so many race or really high HP Duramaxes are fully built with cranks, rods, pistons and even now modded heads? If someone developed a REALLY good flowing head for the "B" with the rest of the motor being built like a bank vault out of the box like it is, then--------hey we might see our beloved motor hold its records much longer than it already has. As it is, it looks as though the Duramax is coming up fast............

Rods are the weak link in the dmax. there is so much involved in swapping rods that most guys fully build their motors at the same time.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:38 PM

V8 vs I-6

well the D-max should be a whole lot easier to make it go faster, it's a V-8 design. The I-6 configuration is excellent for making big torque but not to hot at making high hp, conversely a V-8 makes great power up top but traditionally (obviously depending on tune) doesn't make the torque right at the bottom of their RPM range. This is easily apparent when you consider the D-max and Cummins bore and stroke numbers.
Bore Stroke
D-max (LLY) 4.06 3.90
Cummins 5.9 4.01 4.72

The D-max should be a lot easier to obtain high RPMS and be able to drag. The D-max is an excellent engine for what it was intended to do, work in a chevy 3/4 and 1 ton truck, it will also work great if put into hot rods if the big footprint of the Cummins doesn't fit, but when I have the chance I'll put in that I-6. I like inline engines for their smoothness (due to pistons moving up and down, not in a V) and durability. Additionally with the block for the Cummins being so, well overspec'd frankly, all you need to do to add power is toss in more boost and fuel, I don't have to drop the whole engine and start over will all the internals.

So in synopsis, I like the D-max for what it is, Chevy is putting some real engineering might behind that engine and it's doing pretty darned good now. The continued development between Cummins and the D-max will only serve to fuel the hobby, obtain more exposure for the sport and for diesels in general and overall just make everything better. But at the end of the day, I'll still (and will always) have a soft soft for the simplicity, reputation, durability, and all out earth moving torque of the Big C. 'Nuff Said.

But, if you want one more excuse , just for kicks , why the D-max is quicker, that's easy, there's no replacement for displacement and I'm sure the racers are running a 5.9L so they are giving up .7L of displacement to the D-max.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by BIGBEN2004
I feel that a impressive truck was the BullyDog powered DODGE on an episode of PINKS. Now that company makes power equipment for all brands and choose DODGE as their truck to beef up and run on national TV. That to me is saying something. They could have lost the vehicle if it lost the race so they were not going to risk anything. That tells me how impressive the DODGE Cummins can be.

News to me!! When did DODGE start building Cummins engine's?
Old 11-10-2007, 10:40 PM

So did the Banks truck back up that 8.22 run with another or not? I think I read that the Dr. Predator truck made a single 7.97 pass last spring or something.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:04 PM

What Cummins truck are you guys talking about? The Banks Dakota Sidewinder?? IF so wasn't that car/truck designed for top speed not draging.
I wonder if Banks isn't going to come out with a high output DPF and mabey that is why the DMAX didn't smoke
Old 11-11-2007, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by bigdave
So did the Banks truck back up that 8.22 run with another or not? I think I read that the Dr. Predator truck made a single 7.97 pass last spring or something.
It's run as fast as 7.82. As for the Banks truck, it's kind of calmed down since the big banks bragfest a couple weeks ago.
Originally Posted by RAMRODD
What Cummins truck are you guys talking about? The Banks Dakota Sidewinder?? IF so wasn't that car/truck designed for top speed not draging.
I wonder if Banks isn't going to come out with a high output DPF and mabey that is why the DMAX didn't smoke
People are missing the point.....Banks talked like the Sidewinder LSR truck was so fast, so powerful and was gonna beat everone......clearly it's just an ordinary rig.....
Old 11-11-2007, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by DevilzTower
well the D-max should be a whole lot easier to make it go faster, it's a V-8 design. The I-6 configuration is excellent for making big torque but not to hot at making high hp, conversely a V-8 makes great power up top but traditionally (obviously depending on tune) doesn't make the torque right at the bottom of their RPM range. This is easily apparent when you consider the D-max and Cummins bore and stroke numbers.
Bore Stroke
D-max (LLY) 4.06 3.90
Cummins 5.9 4.01 4.72

The D-max should be a lot easier to obtain high RPMS and be able to drag. The D-max is an excellent engine for what it was intended to do, work in a chevy 3/4 and 1 ton truck, it will also work great if put into hot rods if the big footprint of the Cummins doesn't fit, but when I have the chance I'll put in that I-6. I like inline engines for their smoothness (due to pistons moving up and down, not in a V) and durability. Additionally with the block for the Cummins being so, well overspec'd frankly, all you need to do to add power is toss in more boost and fuel, I don't have to drop the whole engine and start over will all the internals.

So in synopsis, I like the D-max for what it is, Chevy is putting some real engineering might behind that engine and it's doing pretty darned good now. The continued development between Cummins and the D-max will only serve to fuel the hobby, obtain more exposure for the sport and for diesels in general and overall just make everything better. But at the end of the day, I'll still (and will always) have a soft soft for the simplicity, reputation, durability, and all out earth moving torque of the Big C. 'Nuff Said.

But, if you want one more excuse , just for kicks , why the D-max is quicker, that's easy, there's no replacement for displacement and I'm sure the racers are running a 5.9L so they are giving up .7L of displacement to the D-max.
Probably one of the better posts I have read this year, Keep it up.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EMD-RUN8
with cranks, rods, pistons and even now modded heads? ......

stock dmax cranks and blocks are plenty strong enough; LBZ pistons are junk for high HP builds, LB7/LLY pistons seem to be decent; aftermarket forged pistons are the best though.

Rods are by far and away the biggest weak link. Poor design; its stupid to look at the size of the rod bearing, compared to the beam width of the rod itself.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Good stuff! It's really amazing how much the B5.9 has accomplished even though it was never designed for such use. To see so many of these engines running with basically stock blocks/parts really says alot about Cummins and how much strength they engineer into their engines.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:50 PM

In a nutshell.....

1) Low ET
2) No smoke

The truck is designed to run in the NHRA, not limited to running in the DNHRA. Gale said he was going to do it, and he has.

Banks envy will be a brighter shade of green for quite awhile I think.

Jim
Old 11-12-2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by 03qclb5spd
It's run as fast as 7.82. As for the Banks
People are missing the point.....Banks talked like the Sidewinder LSR truck was so fast, so powerful and was gonna beat everone......clearly it's just an ordinary rig.....
WOW... I sure wish I could just have an "ordinary rig."

Can you folks not see that even though Banks has a large budget, that this is still a great accomplishment? Seriously... it ran that fast producing NO smoke. Now I like smoke just as much as the next guy, but you have to realize that he's not just talking out of his rearend when he says that smoke is just power out the tailpipe. Yes, a lot of the Banks stuff seems overpriced, and I also choose to get my power elsewhere, but you have to remember that engineering comes at a price. Banks stuff is actually engineered, not just slapping things together and putting a large price tag on it. Now before you get all excited, I'm not saying that every company out there does that, but from an engineering standpoint, Banks does their research. They put a lot of R&D into this truck, and it is a very large success. Why can't people just put jealousy behind them and accept the fact that this guy is at least trying to improve diesel performance, and succeeding at it!

Quick Reply: Duramax Now Fastest Truck In World