Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

Blocks without traction bars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blocks without traction bars?

I am going to be pulling at our county fair pretty soon, and I will have time to make blocks, and a weight rack for my truck, but I dont think I will have traction bars by then because I am waiting to swap in my Dana 80 first. Anyways, just curious if you guys thought it would be a bad thing to block the rear end without traction bars. I would like to have bars by then, and I may, but I just want to be ready either way. I will most likely be installing my 370's sometime before the pull. My axle never seems to have any wrap to it, but I just wonder if it would if it was blocked.Just dont wanna break anything

Eric
Old 05-20-2007, 08:56 AM

Be careful....
Old 05-20-2007, 05:39 PM

I would not hang wieght or block the rear without traction bars I did blocks without bars on my 98 12v and it went BANG!! at the big end of the track.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:09 PM

Im not really scared of hanging weight, but I do think If I dont have bars by then that I will just leave the blocks alone... I have been thinking though, and I should have some bars by then. I think I have about a month. Gonna either put some 191's or my injectors in too

Eric
Old 05-20-2007, 10:59 PM

Not sure what your plans are for the traction bars.. but you can weld brackets to the brackets on the bottom side of the U bolts.. or use the bolt to the U bolt style.. that way they would still fit the new axle... but welding to the axle tubes would be much stronger..
Old 05-21-2007, 06:35 AM

Well I was wanting to weld to the axle tubes, but I dont really wanna weld to this axle because Im going to sell it when I get the Dana 80 in mine, so I think I will just make a bracket to bolt them to the bottom of the U-Bolts or something for now, and then weld some to the axle when I get the 80 in. I better get started on it soon though, or I wont have it done in time Im tired of pulling with no block, bars, or hanging weight. I wanna do it right this year

Eric
Old 05-21-2007, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
I am going to be pulling at our county fair pretty soon, and I will have time to make blocks, and a weight rack for my truck, but I dont think I will have traction bars by then because I am waiting to swap in my Dana 80 first. Anyways, just curious if you guys thought it would be a bad thing to block the rear end without traction bars. I would like to have bars by then, and I may, but I just want to be ready either way. I will most likely be installing my 370's sometime before the pull. My axle never seems to have any wrap to it, but I just wonder if it would if it was blocked.Just dont wanna break anything

Eric
I really value Pourin Diesels thoughts and opinions so take what he says as good to go...but...I have run blocks on my 3rd gen without traction bars for a couple years and have had no ill effects. In fact the ride is way smoother with them than without...but... remember what Pourin says.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:23 AM

I just kinda wondered if anyone had ran blocks without traction bars. I dont feel like it would be a good idea, so I dont think I will do it if I dont have bars by then. Guess I had better get to work making up my bars

Eric
Old 05-22-2007, 06:42 AM

If you make some plates that will bolt up to the bottom of your U bolts just slot one set of holes a little and they'll work for both rears, I had a buddy that did that and used them on both a 70 and 80 rear