Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

another newbie puller

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another newbie puller

i looked back a little but admit i didn't search too hard. whenever someone says they are a new puller and just want to give it a shot everyone seems to go nuts with the "you're gonna brake stuff, better have $$$" "it's gonna suck you in" your clutch will only last one pull" type stuff. i read through and saw the descrition of the correct way to pull, and the comments are right, my clutch wouldn't last. but for someone just going out and giving it a shot what is the best technique? a technique that may sacrifice length but save the clutch and maybe a few other part? i uderstand that even being careful i could break something and i assume that risk, but would like to reduce the risk as much as possible. my truck is a 91 4x4 1 ton 5 speed with a LONG wheelbase. i've got a set of 285 tires on 6 inch rims that i'd rather not use. found a set of 2 33x12.5 with rims at the junkyard today, possibly put those in the back but don't know what to run up front. ok so after all that here is the short version....

what is the best way to pull putting clutch before length of pull?
what is the best gear to use (4L in 4th is way too deep for my clutch)?
and just any generally useful pulling etiquet(sp?) that i may need to know.

oh truck now has gauges and turned a few screws, turbo upgrade won't make it here in time, i hope to have BHAF in though.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:58 PM

You'll want no part of 4th gear, 3rd gear will still be tough on a stock clutch. I wouldn't mess with switching tires, just try it once and see how you do.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:22 PM

let me start off by saying, i hope i didn't sound like a jerk in the first post. sorry if i did.

W.F.O. - my stock tires are 285's on 6 inch rim, as i said above. i heard that could be a problem IDK why? maybe more likely to spin the tire in the rim? can anyone explain?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Micaiahfied
let me start off by saying, i hope i didn't sound like a jerk in the first post. sorry if i did.

W.F.O. - my stock tires are 285's on 6 inch rim, as i said above. i heard that could be a problem IDK why? maybe more likely to spin the tire in the rim? can anyone explain?
I didn't take you as being a jerk, but i don't think you will have a problem with the tires. I wouldn't worry about it just go get hooked!!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:22 PM

TRACTION BARS!!!! 2nd gear 4low and don't slip the clutch too much 5-10ft is enough