Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

1st hook, need some input

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st hook, need some input

well made my first hook today and tho i took second place in a 10,000lbs run what ya brung unlimited class, my pull was 183' (winner went 191')

anyway here is the video link and i need a bit of input from those who pulled before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaTJTPyeGQg

as you can see there was no smoke AT ALL, because i left the line at 3500-4000 rpms and it was running 3800+ down the track which is past the defuel point. and near the end when the throttle blips i was actually letting off from it hitting 4k and trying to bring the revs down a bit. that track was hard as concrete with a layer of dust on top, and that sled was the weirdest sled i've ever seen.

i guess i need to learn how to keep the truck at 3k and hold it there where the fuel is and then ill get a little smoke and more power. it was fun to finally hook, but i definitely need some practice!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:15 PM

I wouldnt sweat it. That wasnt a very good track to learn or judge from. Like you said, it was as slick as ice. I couldnt even get enough traction to squat my truck down at all. Never got past 3/4 throttle, and as i went back and fourth from 1/2-3/4 all that happened was RPM's went up and down, no change in track speed at all. On a good track RPM's are alot easier to control, and generally your truck wont stay in the defuel range, just cause it doesnt have the power to stay there if decent traction is available. Wait til you hook to a good sled on a decent track....you will love it, and you will see what I mean. Heck look at how many gassers sat within the 75ft mark on the revlimiter just spinning. That hardly ever happens, and out of all of the lifted trucks and everything only one broke something????? We needed traction!!

Congrats on 2nd though!

Just my $.02

Scott
Old 04-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Banned

thanks man not sure which truck was yours but yea even as a novice i know that track sucked.

the blue/silver serious puller that went last blew the freeze plug out of the head and puked coolant everywhere, something happened to the exhaust piping on the turbo of the RAMpage's red puller, and brad (maroon first gen dually who is a member here) also busted the front yoke and u-joint which then mangled the tranny cooler lines. now i see why we run DS loops
Old 04-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Banned

a little better angle on the video courtesy of my very understanding and forgiving woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H-s2u0Oa88
Old 04-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First time out is the one that gets your blood pumping & you get nervous, but you will be hooked for life. I remember sitting in line & watching the other trucks go down the track. First one..... broken driveshaft, Second....went in 2wd, 3rd....fried a clutch, 4th....hit the gas & wasn't moving. Then its my turn....I'm thinking about my brother saying "don't be a -----...hammer it". I'm wondering if I will look stupid. I rev it & drop the clutch.....287ft. run. I pulled with a stock clutch & fried it, but I had a new one at home waiting to go in. I finished 4th out of 30 trucks.....I keep thinking about next time!
Old 04-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Banned

J Lent were you at this pull yesterday?

Did you pull in the 8200 class?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:07 AM

Your driving looked great for first time down the track! I agree you didnt have much to work with on the track...looked like a dust bowl.

I would suggest bumping down to 33" mud tires for your environment...something tells me there is no clay out there.
Hang some weight and get a hitch that moves the hitch point closer to your bumper or just remove the bumper and slide the reese forward about 6" and put the mount point just a hair rear of the tail gate.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Your driving looked great for first time down the track! I agree you didnt have much to work with on the track...looked like a dust bowl.

I would suggest bumping down to 33" mud tires for your environment...something tells me there is no clay out there.
Hang some weight and get a hitch that moves the hitch point closer to your bumper or just remove the bumper and slide the reese forward about 6" and put the mount point just a hair rear of the tail gate.
Thanks justin!
but how will going to a smaller tire drop my rpms?
the hanging weights im working on, hopefully i can get something worked out for that here in the next two weeks.

and i see what you are saying about the hook point but i cant really move my hitch or ditch the bumper because i still tow every now and then and dont want to be tearing the back of my truck up with the trailer.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:19 AM

Make another hitch then. Looks like you already have aggressive tires.
Weights in the bed dont help.

So are you hooked now?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Make another hitch then. Looks like you already have aggressive tires.
Weights in the bed dont help.

So are you hooked now?
i was gonna run no weights at all til a guy there offered me the weights out of his truck so i put the 1200 in the bed and 400 in the cab...and i was still no where near the 10k limit.

i will be building a weight rack very soon, and some blocks for the rear

and to answer your question...yes, but i was hooked before i ever made the pull yesterday, been dying to finally hook it up!
Old 04-08-2007, 03:14 PM

What gear was that, and at the end you were stopped but still reved almost like the clutch was slipping. Ok I never mind on the second vid I dont think the sound is right with the video it looked ok on the first one.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
i was gonna run no weights at all til a guy there offered me the weights out of his truck so i put the 1200 in the bed and 400 in the cab...and i was still no where near the 10k limit.

i will be building a weight rack very soon, and some blocks for the rear

and to answer your question...yes, but i was hooked before i ever made the pull yesterday, been dying to finally hook it up!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it illegal to run with weights in the cab? I know up here it's illegal.

Why are you worried about your rpm's so much when people put 5,000 rpm kits in their 12v's ?? Just because yours is tacking at 4 grand doesn't mean it doesn't have power. Doesn't sound like it was defueling at all. Just and FYI most boxes allow you to turn off "defueling" settings.

You have to consider too the chain being extremely long in those video's. A longer chain drags the weight on the sled pan, aka dead weight. A shorter chain allows the truck to hold the weight up, in turn putting pressure on the tires for traction and allowing for a true pull as the weight box travels up the sled.

Last edited by PullinFan; 04-08-2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Adding to original post...
Old 04-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PullinFan
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it illegal to run with weights in the cab? I know up here it's illegal.
I believe it is by DHRA rules, I have the rulebook printed out somewhere and it says NO weights in-cab. BUT the pull he was at might have been a little more private.

Getblown, good looking truck man. Your right when you say that is a goofy sled, lol. Nice pull, when you go to another make sure you get it on film also!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:26 PM

trust me TJ and i are making the trip down to kentucky the second weekend in may for the pulls down there i will make sure to get his pulls on video.
oh and as for the pull it was a small town event held by the local fire department at the county fair grounds.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Banned

this event they checked hitch height and the 8200 street diesel class was not allowed blocks or airbags. nobody popped hoods, they asked people to be honest about their mods etc.

it was a last minute thing when this guy asked me if i wanted to throw 1600lbs in.

and as for the rpms, on my 24v the TST/smarty combo doesnt add any fueling after 3400, hence the no smoke. and no the clutch wasnt slipping at the end. that was when i pushed the clutch in where i stopped and the truck was at 4k plus, and i was just pedaling it to keep it from coming down and stalling like alot of vp44 trucks do when you let off quick from the motor being loaded.

anyway i have a pull again in 2 weeks on april 21st if i can find a trailer to be ready to bring me home just in case. this time its gonna be a real sled, so it should be a little different.

Quick Reply: 1st hook, need some input