Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

12 Second 6 Speed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reading through this again, that's the ticket right there. Take a floor jack and swap wheels/tires in the parking lot with a friend for a stock set. Just tell everyone "NO PICTURES!!" if that embarrasses you. A set of 265's will drop .4 minimum right off the bat. Been there. You have more power, so you will probably drop even more time than that.

That will also lower the gear ratio enough to allow a 3rd gear launch, eliminating a shift. What do you guess that is worth?

Also, 265's gain me about 500RPMs going through the trap. Everything will change for you. You will get through the lower gears and into top gear, direct, much quicker, and get to use more of it. Another .2, .3 minimum.

I bet you can do 11's already and don't even know it!!
Old 05-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnner and John, Great job, sorry I wasn't there to support you guys. The phone call with John P was almost like being there, man was he excited for his son and justly so...
Old 05-20-2006, 08:56 PM

"Banshee" is a good screen name for Johnner, he can row like a madman!

John, and Johnner, I won't be making the TS race (getting married that weekend), but I'll see you in Indy.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:06 AM

I am just starting off to mod my '05 with a 6spd and all of this post is really working me up! I can see that 6spd's are very capable! I know you have to really know your racing to get the boheameth into those times, but I wanted to offer a suggestion to shave tenths here and there. Every pound affects your time. Empty your glove box, center console, remove floor mats or anything else to take weight down and run minimal fuel. I use to race a 68 Dart GT with a built 440 and I had an old school Racer who ran a 63 SS Dodge, and he helped me dip to low 11's in total street trim by just emptying out my car. Now I will feel even more wicked if I get my truck anywhere near 12's! Good job and thanks for a good post!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Daniel:

It is great to hear from you buddy! I haven't seen you on here in awhile.
Good luck to you and Twyla. Hope everything is going well for you guys. We will see you at Indy.

---------
Mike D.:

Yeah Mike, I wish you could have been there too! I think Johnner definitely "opened some eyes" to some of the "locals" at that track who don't really care for our diesel trucks! Hopefully with a few more minor "modifications" we can get that 99' of yours into the 12's too!

--------
John_P
Old 05-21-2006, 09:35 AM

I just read this post, speed like that with a 6 speed just amazes me, it take me that long to get my tranny from 2nd to 3rd.

Good work Johnner!!

Rick D
Old 05-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Banned

im on my quest for 13's right now...saving pennies for my dual disk SBC and the proper head work and ill be in the 13's

those of you who say you cant shift a 6spd fast...ill try to get an in truck camera view of my 1/4 mile runs. im in the mid 14's range and its amazing...i can only imagine a 12 second run. CONGRATS MAN...i wanna be there with my 6spd one day...but id still rather have a built auto cuz my leg and arm get tired after awhile
Old 05-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Banned

also can you give me some details on how good your clutch is for building boost on the launch and shifting. i need a DD soon
Old 05-22-2006, 01:59 PM

AK,

I did some number crunching on gear ratios and tire sizes... 3rd is pretty darn steep Even if I went to 4:10s and 265s, a 3rd gear launch would be 39% steeper than my current 2nd gear launch. Just going to 265s would be 52% steeper. I definitely like the shortness of the gears, and especially the loss of rotating mass, by going to the shorter tires, though. I'm wondering if I would lose that back by turning all 4 of them off the line, though.

M1,

I agree, weight is everything, especially on these tanks. I've found that dropping the tailgate and spare tire (full size 315) has always been good for about a tenth. I generally don't carry a whole lot in the truck, but I'll probably strip it clean before I go back!

Getblown,

I love the Haisley Street Drag I have in my truck. It shifts very well and is very easy to drive on the street. I've never had a problem slipping it, either, even when towing 12k lbs and matting the throttle on the hottest settings. I would install the cluch again, no questions asked! I don't build boost with it at the strip, but I have played around with it on the street and a couple times at the strip. The last time I tried it I built about 10 psi and ended up smoking all 4 tires which caused the truck to bounce harshly and broke my exhaust system clean off... . The boost I leave with is whatever I can build with the clutch disengaged which is somewhere in the 5-8 psi range.

We might go back to the track this week... I'll do my best to find a video camera somewhere.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Chapter President

Let me know if you decide to go.. If I can work it out, I'll come down to watch..
Old 05-23-2006, 10:45 AM

Johnner, way to go!!!

If it's not on video by Bowling Green, you can bet it will be there.

Great job though really. You have had a great running truck everytime I have tested it and it seems life is just getting better.

And John, thanks for stopping in at DPM and spreading the word. Can't wait to see you guys. That should be Claremont and Bowling Green right? Two weeks in a row? This is gonna be fun...
Old 05-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
David:

Hey buddy, thanks for your reply!

Yes, we will see you at Claremont and Bowling Green! Man, you and Mike have got to be exhausted from all the driving you have been doing the last month or so! When I saw your dyno schedule on the DPM site I almost fell over David! WOW! How many miles have you got on your truck now?

Anyway,....it will be good to see you guys again David! Looking forward to it!

--------
John_P
Old 05-23-2006, 07:50 PM

I live in Bowling Green and I am marking the days off till the race! I can't wait to see that hand shaker screamin down the track
Old 05-24-2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by John_P
David:

Hey buddy, thanks for your reply!

Yes, we will see you at Claremont and Bowling Green! Man, you and Mike have got to be exhausted from all the driving you have been doing the last month or so! When I saw your dyno schedule on the DPM site I almost fell over David! WOW! How many miles have you got on your truck now?

Anyway,....it will be good to see you guys again David! Looking forward to it!

--------
John_P
Penny's "new" truck that I purchased with 5200 miles on it April 26th had 11,000 on it when I got back Sunday night.

I'll be in Bristol this weekend, not to Dyno but to support the race team and will take my 12v. Then a quick day event June 1st then head out to Claremont.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:47 PM

Hello
I have been so dog gone busy this is the first chance I got to post on this thread.
It was a sight, last week when Banshee's truck jumped up and took off down the track. The folks standing around could believe it. He was like a mad man rowing through the gears. Great job.

John & Johner
Will you be able to make it to the track tomorrow night??
Leigh Ann wants to race her truck before she departs accross the big pond again. A couple of folks from at work are planning on going and her parents are down from Mi and want to see her race, so with the above said you know where I will be tomorrow night.

I have a viedo camera and a DVD recorder so I think I can put some runs on a DVD and then some how make it an attachment and post it. At least that is what I am going to try and do.

Hope to see you out there.
See Ya
Chris

Quick Reply: 12 Second 6 Speed!