Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Question on 85 IH S1900

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tlock_0331
i know im a couple months late on this, but my 87 binder has teh 466 and 5/2 speed. My question/issue is what should i expect the top speed to be? right now the 2 speed is disconnected and i have been searching for transmission gear rations to kinda calculate it, but right now its 55@3000 rpm. After looking through all the 2 speed documentation i can find, i cant definitively determine what position the 2 speed is in. Will it return to the low side if NOT hooked up or will it stay in its current state if not hooked up? I got a great deal on a really clean 87, and dropped a 22ft flatbed on it, i mean this things RUNS great, but 55 mph is KILLING me...
If anybody has any info i would sure appreciate it. Thanks
I *THINK* a 2 speed will stay in whatever range it's put in. But 3000 RPM on a 466 is a bit much! I don't think I'd do that too often!~
Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply on the two speed, so that being the case. what do you recommending as a high rpm then?? Cause it actually feels right on the governor, and really 55 mph @ ~ 3K?? That would lead me to believe then that i am in the low side. International built what seems like a 100 million of these things and i have been surprised at what i think is a lack of information on the net, google got me here, but much past that, pretty barren. I would put a 7 speed in if i have to, but unless i can find the transmission gear ratios, i wont know where i am, and i am NOT going to swap trannys till i know i can run at least 65 HAHA
Oh yea, its not that the 2 speed is disconnected, electrically its ALL been removed, all the way to the speed adapter.
Just call me willing to do what i have to do to get to 65 lol
Old 04-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Oh yea, its not that the 2 speed is disconnected, electrically its ALL been removed, all the way to the speed adapter.
Just call me willing to do what i have to do to get to 65 lol
You mean the motor at the rear end is missing too? If not, there isn't much to rewiring the whole thing.

I'd suggest sending a PM to member 'Hvytrkmech'. His name is Tim and he's a guru with these things.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no, mine has a "speed adapter" on the transmission that has one of the 2 speed wires on it, the speedo cable goes into that and it into the transmission. The 2 speed motor in the rear end is there and that's all complete. guess ill try tim. Its been a bit frustrating haha
Old 04-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Administrator

no, mine has a "speed adapter" on the transmission that has one of the 2 speed wires on it, the speedo cable goes into that and it into the transmission. The 2 speed motor in the rear end is there and that's all complete. guess ill try tim. Its been a bit frustrating haha
Yep, they all have that adapter. The speedometer wouldn't be accurate without it.
Try putting power to that rear end motor and see if you hear it run. It'll only run for a second or two even with constant power to it. Just run a long jumper off the battery. If you hear it run then you can go out and try it to see if you get some better MPH's out of it!