Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Haulin Hazmat into california?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haulin Hazmat into california?

Tuesday I'm heading into northern California with a load of corrosive chemicals. I've heard that the dot in California is really strict, what kinda things do I need to double check with my load to make sure I don't get hassled? We just passed a dot audit, so all the company paper work is up to date and legal.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:24 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say the basics keep your haz papers either on top of all your other paper work or in your door like your supoda make sure your got your placards on all four points of the trailer
Old 09-03-2009, 10:56 PM

I usually do a good job of keep all my stuff in order, and my load legal. I've just heard that the dot in California can be really bad.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are following all of the regulations, there is nothing more you can do. If they want to target you for a placarded load, there's nothing you can do about it. I will tell you this. A long time ago, I had a placarded load and went through the Livermore scales. No thing, except a placard had blown off of the right side of the trailer that I didn't know about. When they pulled me in the inspector showed me his concern, pointing out the placards on the other 3 sides and asked me for my paper work. I was outside of the truck with him at the time. When he asked me for my paperwork, I went back to the tractor, and opened the door and took the paperwork off of the drivers seat, as it should have been. He told me he was impressed that I had followed the regs, and let me go after I corrected the missing placard. My point being, if you're sure you have everything in order, don't sweat it, they will do what they will.
Good luck.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 PM

I try and do a good job of keeping my paper work in order and everything legal. When I've been checked in Oregon and Washington everything has gone fine. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:34 PM

Thought I should share, I made the journey into California and back with no issue's. I barely went into California though, about 40 miles south of Eureka to the town of Scotia.